• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Why do so many people ask ridiculous prices for their used firearms? I see a majority of owners trying to get retail or above retail for their weapons, especially Glock owners. For me to even consider a used gun it would have to be at least $50 less than new. Are folks really paying new prices for used guns? What am I missing here? :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think part of it must be that the gun store they usually go to is higher than where you go. I have seen way too many Glocks sell for more than I could buy them from ZX new. I can think of 2 other possible reasons, one is so that .gov won't know they have it so they feel it is worth paying a bonus for that.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Either you're for free enterprise or you're not. Would you rather have a published list of maximum prices that people are allowed to ask? An INGO Blue Book, so to speak?

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    Why do so many people ask ridiculous prices for their used firearms? I see a majority of owners trying to get retail or above retail for their weapons, especially Glock owners. For me to even consider a used gun it would have to be at least $50 less than new. Are folks really paying new prices for used guns? What am I missing here? :dunno:
    I have a Beretta 92fs stainless with a few marks and broken clip.I'm asking $3000, interested lol.

Because people are free to ask whatever they want to on stuff they own...

-J-
    This pretty much answers it. Don't like price move on.Sometimes you just barter with them for better price:dunno:.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Oh no scutter!Your going to open a can of worms with the INGO Blue Book lol.:popcorn:

This "gun price" complaint comes up often enough that I honestly think it's something people want. We've been asked on more than one occasion to "do something!" about people who price something too high in the classifieds. I find that amazing, considering the average gun-owner's claim of being liberty-minded. I don't know about you, but I'm going to ask whatever I think someone will pay. I want to have a little room to haggle, too. I'm not starting at my bottom price; that would be ridiculous.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    This "gun price" complaint comes up often enough that I honestly think it's something people want. We've been asked on more than one occasion to "do something!" about people who price something too high in the classifieds. I find that amazing, considering the average gun-owner's claim of being liberty-minded. I don't know about you, but I'm going to ask whatever I think someone will pay. I want to have a little room to haggle, too. I'm not starting at my bottom price; that would be ridiculous.

:yesway: And people need to realize an object is worth however much someone is willing to pay for it. Whether its more or less than what you think it should be.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Don't get me wrong here, I'm all for free enterprise but this is just reality. I mean who buys a used car for the same price as a new one? I guess you have to figure a little haggle room into the asking price unless you state the price is firm. Alot of people consider Don Davis to be a crook with his prices. I just think that if you want to move an item it needs to be priced accurately. I see folks listing their used guns for silly prices and bumping the thread daily almost in disbelief that nobody is interested. I guess if you want to hold out for more money and try to find the 1% of people who will pay it then more power to ya. Gunbroker is a prime example of this. So many guns way overpriced when you consider the shipping/transfer fees. :twocents:

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    I agree! It is yours ask what you want. Just leave a little room for barter.I will say some prices on her do crack me up sometimes:):

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I agree, you can always contact the seller if you think that the price is too high and he will usually agree to lower the price.That's how it works.

And like someone else said it depends where the seller bought his gun.
    If he got it for $600 at his local shop, and your local shop has it for $500, then when he solds it for $550 he will think it's a good price where you will think this is overpriced.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Don't get me wrong here, I'm all for free enterprise but this is just reality. I mean who buys a used car for the same price as a new one? I guess you have to figure a little haggle room into the asking price unless you state the price is firm. Alot of people consider Don Davis to be a crook with his prices. I just think that if you want to move an item it needs to be priced accurately. I see folks listing their used guns for silly prices and bumping the thread daily almost in disbelief that nobody is interested. I guess if you want to hold out for more money and try to find the 1% of people who will pay it then more power to ya. Gunbroker is a prime example of this. So many guns way overpriced when you consider the shipping/transfer fees. :twocents:

And that as they say is what makes the world go 'round.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

I would just say that I want INGO to "DO NOTHING" in regards to classified prices. Guys, just don't take it seriously. If you see something that is ridiculously priced, enjoy it, get the kids and wife to come look at it and everyone have a big laugh over it. Move on to the next classified.

Although, I am looking for Saiga 7.62, so if that price could be set by INGO at $250 tops, that would be great- thanks:D:laugh:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You can sell your guns for whatever price you want.

I will sell my guns for whatever price that I want.

You can buy guns at whatever price you're willing to pay.

I can buy guns at whatever price I'm willing to pay.

Other folks have different "standards", if you will.

Freedom...ain't it grand? Free to ask what you want. Free to pay what you're willing. Free to say "no" to a sale. Free to say "yes" to a sale.

People who are priced too high sit on their stuff.

People who are priced right sell their stuff quickly. As do people who undervalue their stuff.

Again, it's all about freedom. Freedom to ask whatever it is that you want, and the freedom to shop elsewhere.

It's not really a big deal.

*Said as a person who has utilized Gunbroker to make more money on a sale than I could have on INGO. And as a person who starts on the high side when listing something for sale.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

actually, Gunbroker is not a prime example of this......majority of my collection comes from such auction sites and I travel to all the major area shops at least once a week to stay on top of available prices and inventory......and these auctions sites, even after shipping and transfer, more often than not can beat even the cheapest local shop by at least $10-20...if not more sometimes....hey, that's $20 worth of ammo...........you just need to practice/learn how to use their search engine a little more efficiently

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    as previously pointed out...anyone can ask for as much as they want...and an educated shopper who is familiar with the items he plans to purchase (such as us) would not pay that....but there are still those who are uneducated shoppers...and are willing to pay other prices because they don't know any better........just because he lists a certain price doesn't mean he won't haggle down further.......also, using myself for an example....in the OFF chance I might actually sell something, when I do I specifically go to Armslist.com because the average person shopping on that site is very uneducated and thus more odds that I will get more money out of my sale.....it's just the way of the free market....and places like Don's just makes it more helpful.......realistically, most gun shops will only take a used gun at around 60% of THEIR cost for that weapon new...which generally translates into about 50% of the price of that gun on their new shelf.....that being said a $500 gun will only get you about $250 on trade.....when I can go to armslist and mark it at $475 which is better than a local shop sells it for or will give me for it...and someone will be willing to take it after seeing the price at the local shop .............it's just a free market

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I don't think OP is complaining so much or requesing INGO to set limits as he's asking a legitimate question. Why would a seller put an asking price on a used gun significantly higher than retail for a new gun? Well, as OP observed, because in all probability, the seller is going to bet getting offers and counter offers, and the asking price can only go down.

I do agree with the observation that if an offer to sell price is set too high, the gun won't move as fast. But I wonder what it going on in some folks heads when a used gun has an asking price way higher than new retail. It doesn't make me sore or anything, I just don't take the offer to sell that seriously.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Going to have to go with that sometimes the people browsing the classifieds have no idea what they are looking at and what the real value is. IE comparing 1911 models and such...

Either way, no one is forcing you to purchase a used firearm and IMO, if the difference is so small to make you question buying used or new, go with new....

Top Bottom