• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Saw this up on someone's cubicle at work only last week...how coincidental that I noticed it only days before he died.
    If you remember Bob Ross, it's still pretty funny.
    12940104_211757479202458_2048716728_n.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I dunno, I guess I don't understand the sort of comments people make along the lines of "don't care" and "meh". Even those that weren't fans of Prince's music can't deny his talent and impact on the music industry. You don't have to acknowledge those things... but you also don't have to feel compelled to let everyone else know how little you care.

Since you seem interested in understanding why I wrote "Meh," I shall elaborate: it was a comment on inevitable overemotional expressions that started when the new story broke and will continue for some time, both on INGO and elsewhere. It wasn't really about the guy or his passing, if that matters, at least not very much.

And you're right; I didn't have to feel compelled to let everyone else know how little I care. But, I did, so maybe I'm just not very nice about this sort of thing and that's a shortcoming I'll have to own. Since we're talking about what we don't understand, I don't understand that level of emotional involvement (and the apparent need for validation of the same) with a stranger, whether it's a musician, a comedian, an athlete, or a televangelist. More importantly, I also don't care enough to want to analyze it or elicit explanations from the people who display that behavior. I probably shouldn't have responded, but it did seem like you were specifically referring to something I wrote, so this is a courtesy explanation, albeit not the nicest or most friendly. It's just factual.

Now, if people were talking about family, friends, or even actual acquaintances, I would not have said anything. I complete understand such expressions under those circumstances. Even if I didn't, I wouldn't feel the urge to comment. In my world that is a fundamentally and profoundly different situation.

In the future when someone about whom I do care dies and I express that on here, it's not going to matter to me if you or anyone else disagrees with me or doesn't care, or whether they choose to express it or not. So if you feel like posting "Meh" or "don't care," knock yourself out!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Since you seem interested in understanding why I wrote "Meh," I shall elaborate: it was a comment on inevitable overemotional expressions that started when the new story broke and will continue for some time, both on INGO and elsewhere. It wasn't really about the guy or his passing, if that matters, at least not very much.

And you're right; I didn't have to feel compelled to let everyone else know how little I care. But, I did, so maybe I'm just not very nice about this sort of thing and that's a shortcoming I'll have to own. Since we're talking about what we don't understand, I don't understand that level of emotional involvement (and the apparent need for validation of the same) with a stranger, whether it's a musician, a comedian, an athlete, or a televangelist. More importantly, I also don't care enough to want to analyze it or elicit explanations from the people who display that behavior. I probably shouldn't have responded, but it did seem like you were specifically referring to something I wrote, so this is a courtesy explanation, albeit not the nicest or most friendly. It's just factual.

Now, if people were talking about family, friends, or even actual acquaintances, I would not have said anything. I complete understand such expressions under those circumstances. Even if I didn't, I wouldn't feel the urge to comment. In my world that is a fundamentally and profoundly different situation.

In the future when someone about whom I do care dies and I express that on here, it's not going to matter to me if you or anyone else disagrees with me or doesn't care, or whether they choose to express it or not. So if you feel like posting "Meh" or "don't care," knock yourself out!

Or maybe you're a hypocrite.....

I was just talking about him with a vietnam veteran on Sunday. We didn't know if he was still alive or not, but now ... RIP.

How about in the future, you just avoid commenting, rather than crapping all over a thread that you have no interest in.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Fender envy.

There are certain musicians that make me smile just thinking about their music. Michael McDonald. Joe Cocker. Jim Croce. Bruce Hornsby. Bob Seger. (add your own here). Then there are songs that roll around in your head for years and years and you still remember the words....my wife still knows all the words to "Leader of the Pack". Go figure.

You can't say that about a lot of professions. When is the last time a dentist or CPA touched your soul?

I didn't care for Prince all that much. I didn't really listen to his music very much or put Red Corvette on a playlist. But he had talent. And there are a lot of folks who remember his lyrics.

Why does a musician sometimes touch people more deeply than family? I'd say it's because their songs are time markers in our lives. And sometimes those markers are more important than our family was at that moment.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When someone dies, people grieve. The closer that person is to you, the greater the grieving. Some gang banger gets shot in Chicago, meh, probably won't register physiologically. A friend and you will most likely feel some affects of grieving. A parent, more. A spouse, even more yet(in most cases). Your child, probably the greatest grief.

A musician that you never listened to or really heard of probably ranks with the gang banger(basically a stranger). But a musician that you listened to, grew up with, identified periods of your life with? You may feel like you lost someone that was closer to you though you really didn't know them personally.

Prince was a good guitar player.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Fox just announced that they cremated him. And that his family had a celebration of his life ceremony today.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    He was a great guitarist, so versatile. He really channeled Slow Hand on that solo, but added his own thing. But shreading was just one of his attributes.

As I see some of these videos, I'm surprised of how many I've seen when they happened.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'll admit I haven't read this thread so this may be a repost or against the grain of where it is heading but thought this was pretty amazing. Apparently Prince was extremely benevolent and caring and at the same time was adamant about not getting the praise or recognition for it.

[video=youtube;cMwH-4pA1NA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMwH-4pA1NA[/video]

Apparently Eric Clapton was asked during an interview once "How does it feel to be the greatest guitar player alive?" (or something like that) and he replied "well, I don't know, you would have to ask Prince".

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Very talented musician. He had his eccentricities but apparently gave back to his home area and helped many people.

When someone is part of your youth (directly or indirectly) you feel a connection. His music was the soundtrack to a lot of good times that became fond memories.

Top Bottom