• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Never a Prince fan. What gets me is the "media" screaming out that "All of America is in shock!!!! …..and what a great American legend he was!!!!" Guess I don't fit modern America because I was not shocked, my Dad fought in WWII, he will always be a legend…..some other guy who prances around…..don't think so.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Who else could I compare him, that had more original albums released after their deaths than before? 2Pac had 6 albums of original content released after his death.

That's a poor comparison....Tupac is not dead....He's just hiding from the Illuminatti...

So lets not worry about what "was or not was" and just walk the Dinosaur......

[video=youtube;zYKupOsaJmk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYKupOsaJmk[/video]

And remember that in his day...Prince had the most awesome fro in Minnesota (although number 12 was giving Prince a run for his money it seems) and was a heck of a point guard (given his stature...)

jxkrkbw7ipefkghvxcgk.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree. Some lady interviewed "cried all day long". I just don't get it.

OK, I liked some of his music too, but social media is fully engaged in Prince deification.

This is nuts.

I think the this is just one more example of people trying to act like they're part of the story/event by their insane worship on various platforms.

...the same goes for many "go fund me" campaigns, but I digress.

Never a Prince fan. What gets me is the "media" screaming out that "All of America is in shock!!!! …..and what a great American legend he was!!!!" Guess I don't fit modern America because I was not shocked, my Dad fought in WWII, he will always be a legend…..some other guy who prances around…..don't think so.

There's nothing wrong with having even a slight emotional response to a non-family/friend dying. They can be people who's careers have impacted you, influenced you.... people you've respected for their talent and the changes they've made in their industries. They could be immensely gracious and nice people that you're sad to see gone. People you've sympathized with, or people you've felt sorry for.

Musicians influence thousands upon thousands of people. Music is a strong medium that brings us together. To follow someone's career (especially someone younger) and then see it cut short... of course it's reasonable for a person to feel bad about it, or shed a few tears.

I didn't follow Prince, I just knew of him. I respected his amazing talent as a musician and guitarist. His death didn't cause sorrow for me... but it did cause me to reflect on his accomplishments.

Then there were people like David Bowie, Brad Delp, Freddie Mercury... people in the genre I grew up with and still listen to today. People I've followed for a long time, and loved to listen to them. Those hit me when they died. I still remember driving to work the morning Bowie died and hearing it on Bob and Tom. I was speechless, it came as a total surprise. I'd been building my Bowie vinyl collection just weeks before. He was gone, and I was quite sad about it. Same goes with actors... I hated seeing that Robin Williams had died. I had a strong feeling of sadness and remorse when it happened. Like it or not, these are people you grow up with. They entertain you.

I dunno, I guess I don't understand the sort of comments people make along the lines of "don't care" and "meh". Even those that weren't fans of Prince's music can't deny his talent and impact on the music industry. You don't have to acknowledge those things... but you also don't have to feel compelled to let everyone else know how little you care.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think that anything much more than "Oh, that's too bad. He'll be missed." is out of proportion for an entertainer you never met.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think that anything much more than "Oh, that's too bad. He'll be missed." is out of proportion for an entertainer you never met.

That's certainly a fine reaction to a distant relative, or a neighbor, or a person you've never heard of... someone you have no involvement or real interaction with.

But it's not out of the question to care a bit more about someone that you enjoy being entertained by. Like... ****... this person is no longer going to be around creating content for me to consume and enjoy. My neighbor doesn't do that, nor does my distant relative or person I've never heard of. But this person, whose living it was to create this content for me and others like me, did that.

Every country has celebrities, it can't be avoided. They will always have an impact (good or bad) on the lives of the people. I get that some of us here may look at it as idol worship... and yes, it can reach extremes like that. But casual respect for someone that did a lot with their life isn't a bad thing. Having met or not met the person is irrelevant.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

"American Legend?" You got a cite for that? Your whole post hinges on a comparison, made by the media, of Prince being some sort of symbol of America. I doubt such a claim is made. You can feel safe that "American Legend" patriots aren't compared to a musical icon.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    He beat Charlie Murphy in basketball... "shirts vs blouses"

LOL great skit!

Richard Wright?
    I can only assume you were being facetious.
    Rick dabbled in drugs at one time, especially up to the point that it's rumored he was kicked out of Pink Floyd in 1979 because it was interfering with his contributions to the band at that time, but Rick died from lung cancer...period.

Yeah, purple implied on the Wright and Peart comments.
    I don't discount dabbling... But it seems those who go overboard tend to do so long before age 57.
    Then again, Richards is still kicking lol.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    John Entwistle, of The Who, died of a cocaine induced heart attack.....oddly enough, at the age of 57. I remember thinking at the time that a guy his age should know better, but hey, you never know what drives people to do what they do.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    That's certainly a fine reaction to a distant relative, or a neighbor, or a person you've never heard of... someone you have no involvement or real interaction with.

But it's not out of the question to care a bit more about someone that you enjoy being entertained by. Like... ****... this person is no longer going to be around creating content for me to consume and enjoy. My neighbor doesn't do that, nor does my distant relative or person I've never heard of. But this person, whose living it was to create this content for me and others like me, did that.

Every country has celebrities, it can't be avoided. They will always have an impact (good or bad) on the lives of the people. I get that some of us here may look at it as idol worship... and yes, it can reach extremes like that. But casual respect for someone that did a lot with their life isn't a bad thing. Having met or not met the person is irrelevant.

Well said. I wasn't a huge fan, but I like some of his stuff. I've been singing/humming Prince songs off and on since hearing this news. I think it also makes me sad, because it reminds me of younger days, when I had my whole life ahead of me, and the world didn't seem quite as ugly and unfair as it does now. I'm sure it was...I just didn't know it yet.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    [video=youtube;7INsVaR-S-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7INsVaR-S-w[/video]

One of my favorites by the man.

He shredded that song. Stole the show from an excellent version of "my Guitar Gently Weeps." Petty, Harrison, Winwood and Prince KILLED it.

Top Bottom