• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So far so good with mine, although its found its place atop lovemywoods' lightweight 10/22, and has been to a couple Friday Night Steel events.

It has definitely shown me the advantages of its small size, and I will soon be upgrading my Aimpoint C3 to an H1 in LaRue mount.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I finally got my Micro Clone. As far as looks I think the quality is there. The QD riser mounted up nice and tight:yesway: Hopefully I get to try it out soon!

x008.jpg

Last edited:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    First, apologies for the threadcromancy, but my question and interest fit this one perfectly.

Let me start by saying I'd love to have an Aimpoint, and I intend to some day. Right now, I'm busy dressing up my man-Barbie (my on-order mid-length from Spike's) and it's real expensive.

I've read many, many reviews. Basically from what I can tell, the Primary Arms Microdot is very rugged, it's accurate, it holds zero, and its battery life is okay if you turn it off when not in use. The Aimpoint, on the other hand, is capable of being used for a baseball through nine innings against an all star lineup with me pitching, or as a golf ball on a course with a lot of water hazards.

Here's my question: I'm not going to Afghanistan or Iraq, so do I need the Superman of red dots, or will the Batman of red dots do?

It's clear that Aimpoint is superior times ten, but isn't the microdot plenty good enough for home defense?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It's clear that Aimpoint is superior times ten, but isn't the microdot plenty good enough for home defense?

I personally would not put a PA on a home/self-defense gun. If it MUST work, then Aimpoint it is. You also don't want to be fumbling around with controls when you are deploying your AR.

The PA is great for range work, however, or for convincing you that you need a real Micro. ;)

Just my personal :twocents:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I personally would not put a PA on a home/self-defense gun. If it MUST work, then Aimpoint it is. You also don't want to be fumbling around with controls when you are deploying your AR.

The PA is great for range work, however, or for convincing you that you need a real Micro. ;)

Just my personal :twocents:

Good points.

I like the way Eotechs operate, but from what I read, they break more than the PAs. Yet our SF guys are supposed to love them. Of course, those guys probably would win a lot of battles armed with spitwads.

Getting your point about turning on the controls when you're naked and disoriented at 2AM, have you heard stories of PAs not working, or just failing at the worst time? I haven't, yet I've heard that of Eotechs. And yes, I know, no one in recorded history has heard of an Aimpont failing. I say that without facetiousness.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I like the way Eotechs operate, but from what I read, they break more than the PAs.

That's mostly because they are a billion more EOThingys in service than there are PAs on casual shooter's guns. That being said, I don't like the push-button controls of the EOTech, or the (comparatively) short battery life. Many of the battery-contact-induced failures appear to have been resolved with the design of their new XPS line.

have you heard stories of PAs not working, or just failing at the worst time? I haven't, yet I've heard that of Eotechs.

Again, that's probably not a fair comparison. Also keep in mind that PA knock-offs haven't been around all that long.

And yes, I know, no one in recorded history has heard of an Aimpont failing. I say that without facetiousness.

Oh I'm sure its happened, but its probably a much smaller percentage of total manufactured units.

I recall INGOer jeremy saying he broke an Aimpoint M4S. :n00b: :D

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Here are some drawbacks to MY p.a. microdot:

the glass has a blue tint to it and isn't as clear as my aimpoint t1

It won't cowitness on an AK with an ultimak rail my t1 does (the emitter gets in the way on the PA)

On stronger recoil guns (draco 7.62) the power dial will turn itself off between shots. My t1 continues to work.

Where PA shines:

Cost...4hun less.

looks, feels, and operates the same as a t1/h1 making cheap plinking with a 22 a very similar experience to an expensive higher caliber aimpoint equipped rifle saving even more money.

Holds zero well (haven't done a torture test, but i'm not gentle with my stuff)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Sorry for bringing back an old thread!

How is everyones PA's holding up now?

I have an Aimpoint, so I'm not looking to buy a PA. BUT, my dad may be buying an AR this weekend, and wants to get a RDS. But I dont see him buying an expensive, but worth it, Aimpoint.

So I thought the PA may be good for him to get, but I dunno...

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Sorry for bringing back an old thread!

How is everyones PA's holding up now?

I have an Aimpoint, so I'm not looking to buy a PA. BUT, my dad may be buying an AR this weekend, and wants to get a RDS. But I dont see him buying an expensive, but worth it, Aimpoint.

So I thought the PA may be good for him to get, but I dunno...

I have the PA red dot AimPoint clone on my AR and after about 700-800 rounds of .223 and 5.56 it has performed flawlessly. Holds zero, and appears to have excellent battery life.

I'd have two of them if I hadn't found a good deal on a used Vortex Strikefire. I have the Vortex on my .22 upper and had thought about swapping it onto the 5.56 upper. Since I have had no problems with either, I am just leaving them where they are.

:twocents:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    What mount are you using?

I bought the PA "brand" cantilever mount to mount their red dot. Look up my post in long guns titled "I've got twins, AR's that is", it has pictures of both AR's. The one in OD green has the PA red dot on it. Crappy cell phone pic, but you can see it well enough I suppose.

If you decide to go that route, make sure you don't mount it too far forward. You won't be able to get the upper half of the handguard off. Something I discovered AFTER I had sighted it in.:rolleyes:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    When i compare my PA to my T1...there is no comparison. The glass on my t1 is crystal clear. The glass on my PA gives a green/blue tint. The PA will not cowitness on an ak as the emitter is located at the very bottom obscuring the sights. I used it for a while on an AK just to test its durability. After every three or so shots, the "power knob" would rotate itself between two settings turning itself off so i'd have to twist it slightly to get it back on. The PA did hold zero well and when i moved it to my suppressed sig522 i no longer had the power issues.

Top Bottom