• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Upcoming schedule of events. All are at ISD.

March 30th 2PM Food Preservation (10$ for DVD ofmaterials) Class is free

March 30th 4PM Thrive food party II

April 4th 6Pm Water, storage, and purifying

April 6th 3PM Wine, cheese and Beer making(Presented by Great Fermentations)

April 13th 1PM Vermicomposting and worm bins(Presented by Castaway Composting)

April 20th 2PM Fire and Fire Starting

May 2nd 6Pm Security
    Additional dates, classes, and up to date info at: http://www.meetup.com/Indiana-Disaster-Preparedness/

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    New Class

Title: Self Defense Law & Simple Self Defense Techniques

When: Thursday April 25th 6pm-8pm

Where: Indian Self Defense

Description of the class: A Detective from IMPD who is a certified instructor through the Indiana Law Enforcement and is certified through the police academy to instruct police officers in firearms, emergency driving, and physical tactics.

This class will first cover Indiana's self defense laws and will cover the legal aspects surrounding the use of force to protect yourself; whether it's deadly force or less than deadly force.

The second portion of the class will be 'hands on' training and we will practice some very basic self defense techniques.

Cost: No charge

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What will you be losing by attending something which may be of interest?

Well I could be losing brain cells if the person teaching doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm very interested but I asked a legitimate question. You wouldn't deposit your money in a bank that wasn't FDIC insured would you? Or drop your kids off at a babysitter who didn't have credentials or references.

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    What kind of credentials are you looking for or expecting for a FREE class? Most classes are free, and anyone is welcome to attend. There is no certificate, notest, no one will make you answer questions, or even have you give your ID, and no guaranteeyou will absorb or learn from any information provided. If you are worried about losing brain cells just stay home, no one is forcing you to attend. The classes are given to help anyone interested in learning from others or sharing knowledge and learning. Often people attending give additional information and education from their own experiences to share with the group.

Your government and politicians have lots of credentials. Do you trust what they say or do you verify information on your own? Do you trust information provided on forums by anonymous users before trusting it? If you questioninformation provided, verify before using it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Well put Rikkrack, and I think you were quite clear on thequalifications on the first post but I think some either don't understand orappreciate it. I'm going to just lay it out simple as possible. ISD offers it’sfacilities free of charge (unless materials are required), qualified, likeminded individuals volunteer their personal time and without receiving anythingmore than the appreciation of the community they are helping and thesatisfaction that they made a difference. If everyone just takes a little oftheir time to help each other learn think of how much stronger, safer, andcloser your community will be. A better place for your family. That’s what youhave to gain. If you couldn’t see this for yourself you probably don’t havemuch to offer. Anyone who wants to be a part of a community trying to help eachother and is willing to both learn and share your skills, come on out. Our next meeting is this Thursday (4/4) at 6pm, bring a chair and we’ll be discussing water.
    Thank You
    Walt

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Awesome Walt. Thanks for putting on these for everyone. I'll see you Thursday if you're there.

Water is a good place for me to start attending some of these things.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Well I could be losing brain cells if the person teaching doesn't know what they are talking about. I'm very interested but I asked a legitimate question. You wouldn't deposit your money in a bank that wasn't FDIC insured would you? Or drop your kids off at a babysitter who didn't have credentials or references.

I had a long PHKU rant but I decided to just say come on by and see.
    For the time being this is still a free country and can come and go as you please ;)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think some of you are taking what I asked as an attack. That is not the case. That's great you are trying to help the community and not charging. Maybe a less hostile defensive attitude when a potential customer asks a legitimate question would help too. That's my 2 cents. I think it's cute some of your customers wanna jump in and attack too but I was asking my question to the owners or operators. I think I have found out all I need to know.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    This store has been only open for a year now and has been doing class's of all types for 8 months or so and it continues to have crowds class after class.
    Guessen that makes the people that show time after time see some value in them ?

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I think some of you are taking what I asked as an attack. That is not the case. That's great you are trying to help the community and not charging. Maybe a less hostile defensive attitude when a potential customer asks a legitimate question would help too. That's my 2 cents. I think it's cute some of your customers wanna jump in and attack too but I was asking my question to the owners or operators. I think I have found out all I need to know.

I thought it was a legitimate question too and don't understand the problem with someone asking it. Ironically, the person that did the majority of speaking at the class I went to gave his background and experience on the subject we discussed before getting into it.

With that said, you would not be disappointed if you went. What I went to was more of a class but there was lots of discussion by people of varying experience. I've heard that the Thursday night things are more of a discussion. Unfortunately, work keeps me away from those or I'd be there every week.

The store is pretty nice too and Walt is adding to his inventory all the time. I've bought a few things there and need to get back in there soon to check his stuff out. If you look back in this thread, I think there's a calendar of events for the year somewhere.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I thought it was a legitimate question too and don't understand the problem with someone asking it. Ironically, the person that did the majority of speaking at the class I went to gave his background and experience on the subject we discussed before getting into it.

With that said, you would not be disappointed if you went. What I went to was more of a class but there was lots of discussion by people of varying experience. I've heard that the Thursday night things are more of a discussion. Unfortunately, work keeps me away from those or I'd be there every week.

The store is pretty nice too and Walt is adding to his inventory all the time. I've bought a few things there and need to get back in there soon to check his stuff out. If you look back in this thread, I think there's a calendar of events for the year somewhere.
    thank you

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    What is the background and qualifications of the instructors for these classes?

There are varied degrees of experience there. I don't believe in the term "Subject Matter Experts" as I've seen too many who werent, but, the people are knowledgable on the subjects they teach and the "audience" usually holds some surprises also.
    Give it a shot and you probably won't be disappointed.

Bob

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    There are varied degrees of experience there. I don't believe in the term "Subject Matter Experts" as I've seen too many who werent, but, the people are knowledgable on the subjects they teach and the "audience" usually holds some surprises also.
    Give it a shot and you probably won't be disappointed.

Bob

That is a better way to put it than I did
    Come on threw and meet the crowd. It is free
    Hope to meet you tomorrow night

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

My response wasn't intended to be defensive to any degree necessarily. Just pointing out that the classes are FREE of charge and open discussion is encouraged by participants to share in the wealth of knowledge for all participants so there is no risk involved really and hence one's "credentials" are of little to no relevance. Althought, most of those who commit to offering classes offer classes and discussion which they are familiar, educated, and/or experienced in.

I don't think rickkrack intended his response to be as hostile as it may have came across, but it's important to understand that those contributing to these efforts are doing so on their own free time simply in the interest of helping others. They don't expect anything in return for their efforts and make no claims to be an "expert" of anything. Therefore the insinuation that it's not worth one's time if a contributor doesn't have "valid credentials" can only be interpretted as offensive IMO since if they feel they have something more to offer they are welcome to pony up their time and effort for their own class.

All that being said, rickkrack has devoted a great deal of time to the efforts and I can't say that I blame him if he were to have taken offense to your comment. Most of those who offer classes offer them in materials which they are knowledgeable and/or experienced in but being declared a highly relative term such as an "expert" is very subjective in these contexts and not really necessary since they aren't expecting to be compensated for their efforts and attendees are encouraged to join in the conversation.

To be honest, if one feels like they have a superior level of knowledge on something than another who's teaching it they already aren't in a proper mindset to learn. For instance, my Intro class was very specifically developed. I warn those who attend it which are already gun owners that they may find it boring. I've seen the evidence of that in the class from time to time because they do not come in the class with the proper mindset. While the second half of the material covers information they are already familiar with they completely ignore the value of the information in the first half and how it can benefit them because they came into it expecting to not learn anything and are therefore not LOOKING for things they didn't know. They are hearing what they expected to hear, in a sense, rather than hearing what they've never heard before.

Like others have said, pick a topic you're curious to learn about and attend it. You won't be out anything and if you have something to add to the discussion, nobody is going to stop you.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Had a great time last night. Re-learned some things and got some good tips.
    Words of the day-------Littmus Paper---- If you were there, you'll get it.

Bob

Top Bottom