• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I'm a little late to this party, but want to weigh in anyway. Sunday I read about four articles in the NY Times (don't judge, I also read the WSJ) calling for more "common sense" gun laws and just wanted to throw up. That whole discussion is wrong in so many ways as many here have pointed out.

I also am tired of hearing about UK, Australia and other "civilized" western European countries. Absolutely NONE of those countries had a RIGHT in their constitution for citizens to bear arms. What is completely missing in this discussion is that is exactly the reason our founding fathers wrote the 2nd amendment so that the government could not disarm the people! Their fears have been confirmed by the very actions that some are touting we should follow.

Rant over. Out.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Ok, let's say I walked off of Ft. Benning with my M240B, the gun is signed-out to me. I sell it to some low-life for $25,000. I walk back on and First Sergeant asks me where the gun is, and I say "I don't know." And he says "sounds legit, don't worry it's just lost." And I live happily ever after.

Yeah right. The fact that I'm signed for that gun means it is my personal responsibility, I'm the last know owner so obviously something shady happened.

My point is, if we made no exceptions for background checks, the last know owner would have some questions to answer if firearms registered to him started showing up in criminals hands, or if he had guns "stolen and lost" very often.

I'd appreciate if you did not question my patriotism or support of the second amendment, I have an Iraq Campaign Medal saying I put my life on the line for our rights to keep an bear arms.

1Sgt would NJP your butt for losing a weapon like that and you would be getting brig time.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Well, if we're going to experiment with rights... how about experimenting with..
    Quartering troops?
    Free speech?
    Self incrimination?
    Trial by jury?

That stuff was great for back then but it was clearly based on racism and outdated. The world is different now.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    ....and badges (sadly). Just following the judge's orders, probably after a 5-4 SCOTUS decision -- (you know, because if the supreme court says it's constitutional, it just is).

750,000 badge-wearing persons. Let's assume, based on recent polls, that 2/3 of them, being supportive of the rights protected by the second amendment, would refuse to carry out such orders. That leaves 250,000 JBTs to try to carry out such orders.

If they can get past the other 500,000 of their badge-wearing brethren (being outnumbered 2:1), they then face 100,000,000 law-abiding gun owners, whom they would attempt to disarm. If Connecticut is a representative sample, the vast majority of those 100,000,000 would resist those attempts to disarm. If the Cliven Bundy ranch incident is indicative, there would be plenty of those 100,000,000 who would present armed resistance to those attempts to disarm.

As I sit here in Lexington, MA, I can't help but be reminded of the spark that set off the Revolutionary War. The first time the blood a law-abiding citizen is shed by JBTs attempting to carry out disarmament orders will be the start of the second Revolutionary War. There will be no real attempt to use armed JBTs to disarm law-abiding Americans. And that is the most fundamental reason for the existence of the second amendment.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    750,000 badge-wearing persons. Let's assume, based on recent polls, that 2/3 of them, being supportive of the rights protected by the second amendment, would refuse to carry out such orders. That leaves 250,000 JBTs to try to carry out such orders.

If they can get past the other 500,000 of their badge-wearing brethren (being outnumbered 2:1), they then face 100,000,000 law-abiding gun owners, whom they would attempt to disarm. If Connecticut is a representative sample, the vast majority of those 100,000,000 would resist those attempts to disarm. If the Cliven Bundy ranch incident is indicative, there would be plenty of those 100,000,000 who would present armed resistance to those attempts to disarm.

As I sit here in Lexington, MA, I can't help but be reminded of the spark that set off the Revolutionary War. The first time the blood a law-abiding citizen is shed by JBTs attempting to carry out disarmament orders will be the start of the second Revolutionary War. There will be no real attempt to use armed JBTs to disarm law-abiding Americans. And that is the most fundamental reason for the existence of the second amendment.

Let's hope we never find out. But I'm not as confident as you are.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    While some people are suggesting "common sense" registration, why not advocate for common sense RFID to be installed on each person? And a database of each person.

(said in the same spirit of sarcasm, act) Yes and perhaps we could tattoo their identification number on a body part, say an arm, for those times when a reader isn't readily available

Top Bottom