• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm not political but this struck a chord with me. .....

And what of us respectable gun owners? Do we support some actual common sense gun laws? I know I do......

I can honestly say I'm irritated by him using these atrocities as a thin veneer to attempt to push his anti-second amendment agenda.

1311649692455810849.jpg

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    In what way should the "metal health system" be modified that would prevent people from murdering others? Serious question. Mental health problems that lead to people killing other people are 20/20 clear after the fact but I'm not sure how preemptive "the mental health system" can be. I'll be honest, my cynical side believes this will result in gun confiscations on people for nebulous reasons and will still not prevent those with no records, those that suffer in silence, or those whose family and friends are reluctant to step in to still act out.

I really don't have an answer for that. Improving the system while not infringing the 2nd would be extremely difficult. It would probably be very complicated. What we do know for sure is that the people that go nuts and conduct mass killing sprees are, you guessed it, crazy. The mentally afflicted have to seek help, but many times suffer in silence. Have little to no records of illness. But we cannot confiscate guns or ban people from buying based on no evidence. We can't have a minority report system. So does this point out flaws in our system, or is it a consequence of our freedoms? Just some food for thought.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Why do they call it " Gun Crime" ? It's "CRIME" period.

Same reason they call criminals "gunmen". President Obama is surrounded by gunmen wherever he goes. I'm a gunman. Most of us are. However, just as with "gun crime", the intent is to identify the tool being used and demonize it. The proper term for Chris Mercer is murderer or mass murderer. The tool is relevant for the investigation and trial to understand the details, but has no bearing on the question of whether he murdered anyone. If he shot one and knifed three others, he would still be called a gunman. Why? Because they are more interested in eliminating the gun than crime. Because a disarmed populace is easier to control and more dependent on government.

Remember, every time, without exception, the left changes terminology, it is to control the direction of the conversation. Simply use the existing, factually correct term and ignore their term, politically correct or otherwise. Don't play their game because you allow them to control the playing field. Chris Mercer is a mass murderer. Use that terminology in the news and I'd bet you would see far fewer trying to emulate and outdo him.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As for us "allowing" some "common sense" restriction to prevent more restrictive regulations....

On the National Level
    National Firearms Act of 1934
    Gun Control Act of 1968
    Brady Bill 1993

On the State Level
    Too many restrictions to name

So how is FURTHER restricting our rights going to stop them from further restricting our rights?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    "Common sense" and "Gun laws" are incompatible. They cannot coexist.

I don't know about that. Common sense would say that if we could eliminate these killing grounds we should. We need to get a common sense bill removing federally funded gun free zones to the floor of congress ASAP.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Removal of gun free zones...

Agreed. No more forcibly disarmed, defenseless victims.

...federal reciprocal CCWs...

Agreed. Equal protection for everyone, under the law.

...A no-nonsense record of transfer of all firearms, background checks on ALL firearms transfers...

How will creating a de facto gun registry, and making it more difficult for law-abiding citizens to buy, sell, and transfer firearms privately, prevent crime?

...and armed security in our schools.

I'd be fine with armed teachers and staff, and billboard proclamations that each school allows and encourages the carrying of firearms by the law-abiding. Cowards will find elsewhere to ragequit their lives.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It leaves a record or lack of record of transfer. If that record is not there, guess what? You're an arms dealer. It wouldn't take long to discover who is slinging arms, because we could track where a firearm went dark, and prosecute the last know owner of the firearm. If a firearm gets stolen, its your personally responsibility to report it.

All you're doing his placing more burdens on the law-abiding, and creating more potential criminals of the law-abiding - and in so doing, you are doing absolutely NOTHING to hinder criminals.

How will the State know if a record "is there" or not? Will the feds (or the States) have authority to audit private citizens, or to inspect their firearms collections? The only way to enforce this disaster of a law would be to infringe not only on second amendment-protected rights, but also upon fourth amendment-protected rights.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So, the Fed's can't get the kinks worked out of the ACA database.
    The State keeps contacting me EVERY year because THEY have a problem affecting the liquor license.
    The IRS loses records, and tries to fine an American Legion Post because the IRS lost records.
    In 13 years, the State NEVER was able to correct my name on my car registration. I eventually sold the car and bought a new one to get it straightened out.

But... trust the government to be able to handle a firearms and firearms owner database.

Ummm. No

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    So, the Fed's can't get the kinks worked out of the ACA database.
    The State keeps contacting me EVERY year because THEY have a problem affecting the liquor license.
    The IRS loses records, and tries to fine an American Legion Post because the IRS lost records.
    In 13 years, the State NEVER was able to correct my name on my car registration. I eventually sold the car and bought a new one to get it straightened out.

But... trust the government to be able to handle a firearms and firearms owner database.

Ummm. No

If we assumed that the government can't do anything right and therefore shouldn't even try, there'd be a Soviet flag on the Moon right now.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    They seem to think this is the quickest way to gain support. O'Malley is pulling similar crap. IMO they automatically eliminate a large amount of gun owners out of the box from voting for them. Yet they think it will work. She has a whole lot more to address than her anti 2A position.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Here's Clinton's grand plan:

1. UBCs (including the obligatory "closing the gun show loophole" language)
    2. Repealing the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act
    3. Eliminating the "Charleston loophole" (no more 3-day limit on BGC delays)
    4. Reviving the AWB
    5. Withholding firearms from "domestic abusers"

(Spoiler: not a single one of those would have prevented the Umpqua shooting, or any other shooting.)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Gosh, I'm tired of hearing about ****ing Australia. The gun control proponents keep bringing it up. We're the only 1st world nation that has a "gun violence" problem. Compared to the UK and Australia and other so-called first world nations, maybe that's true. But is that even relevant? How can they compare a culturally more diverse America with 13 times the population of Australia and 5 times the population of the UK?

So about Australia. The relevancy of their gun control is proportional to the likeliness that their reduction in violent crime was caused by the gun control they enacted. It's not like Australians can't have guns anymore. It's not like Australians who now have to register their guns are less likely to commit mass murder because their guns are registered. Maybe they'd have a point if the violent crime rate went back up as the ownership rates climbed back to near where they were before the [STRIKE]buyback[/STRIKE] confiscation. There are now as many or more guns in Australia than before the '96 gun control was enacted.

And the way "Australia" is pushed on us. Obama and the anti-gun queens say Australia as a nation turned in their guns. Bull****. They make it sound like everyone was of one accord, as if they all saw gun ownership as shameful behavior and turned in their guns. As a nation my ass. According to the accounts of the enactment of gun control, there was indeed a political fight. There were winners and losers, which "as a nation" does not address. And it was mostly the same culprits in that fight as we're continually fighting. Urban/left vs rural/right.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In what way should the "metal health system" be modified that would prevent people from murdering others? Serious question. Mental health problems that lead to people killing other people are 20/20 clear after the fact but I'm not sure how preemptive "the mental health system" can be. I'll be honest, my cynical side believes this will result in gun confiscations on people for nebulous reasons and will still not prevent those with no records, those that suffer in silence, or those whose family and friends are reluctant to step in to still act out.

"But people like Chris Mercer keep falling through the cracks of our shattered, sorry excuse for a mental health care system. This is tragic and unnecessary, because outreach and screening systems could be put in place that would be neither prohibitively expensive, nor an impingement on anyone’s liberty."

I suppose this is one suggestion. It's preemptive in that it is more in lines with outreach. If by "screening systems" they're talking about the availability of clinics that do mental health screening, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. However I would still oppose laws that arbitrarily make people ineligible to exercise constitutional rights based on just the say of a health care professional.

Top Bottom