• ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    INGO Harley Davidson Guys:

I have always wanted a Harley because I love the history and sound of the bike. I'm not a biker or rider in the truest definition of either word, but I've been riding motorcycles for about 20 years and have owned four different bikes.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1998 Road Glide with ~69,000 miles on it. It is in great shape and my friend is wanting $6,500 for it. Can you guys tell me from your experience if this is a good deal? I've done Google searches and the prices are all over the place, but I've not found one lower than $7,300.

Here is the email I received from my friend describing the bike:

1998 Road Glide
    1 of 800 95th Anniversary models
    69,000 +/- miles
    Had had synthetic oils most of it's life
    Almost new tires
    Mine does not have the chrome brake covers...
    Bike needs nothing other than a rider!

Like I was telling you, I had it detailed last year and it looks almost showroom.... it does not look like a 15 year old bike. It rinds perfect.

So, what do you think?

95th........EVO motor.......an' clean?........don't sound bad ta me dude, but......whut do I know,huh?........:):

Price sounds honest 'nuff fer me.....69K ain' really no miles fer 'at motor,if it been taken care of..... :twocents:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Rides really nice, dynas ride great also because of the external shocks on both sides, softails not so much. They have a uni shock under the swing arm. To make it look more like a hard tail. Doesn't ride much better either!

Ya ain' ridden many I take it?(Softails)....:):.......I can make it ride as soft or as hard as ya want......would'n think twice 'bout ride'n mine ta the W Coast......

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    95th........EVO motor.......an' clean?........don't sound bad ta me dude, but......whut do I know,huh?........:):

Price sounds honest 'nuff fer me.....69K ain' really no miles fer 'at motor,if it been taken care of..... :twocents:

I was reminded that I rode this bike some years ago. The owner lost his passion about two years ago and just stopped riding. He's getting into jeeps. I think I'll make him a lower offer and see what he says. Like I said, I'm not a biker or rider and with my move and new job, the riding season is basically over. This will definitely be nice to ride the Virginia mountains in the spring, though.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I know I'd like to have one, Que. But I don't think I could get my wife to see the value in me buying one anytime in the foreseeable future. :laugh:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The only problem with the Evo motor is the cam chain tensioners. They are plastic and tend to last about 50K miles. Ask if he has had them replaced, and if not you could have them replaced with a gear drive cam.
    Price is right though. It would never be worth less than $6k.

I ditto this on price and the tensioner. I've been sold on re-cam when you do the tensioner. They MUST be replaced at the proper mileage.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Uhmmmm, , , ok:n00b:

:dunno:......No disrespect dude but......I've known dudes at's ridden 20-25 yrs,an' if ya add they saddle-time on'a Softail.......amounts ta down the street,an' around the block......:):......ride/ridden dresser's,most of'em........

How old are you?

I'm prolly ol' nuff to have paid child support on you,dude.......:):

Yeah, I believe in this to a certain extent.

Yep! This purchase is WAY above that limit. I've already put in the required permission request, so we'll see what happens. :thumbsup:

?.......WHUT?......:):.......permission?........:):......how ol' are you?(sumbody else's mentality on here...:):)

Tell ya whut......got'a tape-measure?.......stretch it out,an' put you right finger on'a # at's the average age all'a males in you family when they quit breath'n (70,75......whutever......)........then put you left finger on age you are now.......?.........see all'em #'s behind you left finger ?........?

Ya ain't gonna git them #'s back........trus'me.......

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Now if Kawtech buys one my master plan will be complete. " come to the dark side, I am your father!":starwars:

Awe but Kawtech has bought one. Infact more than one. And I've never lost money one either. They have excellent resell value and turn around time usually aint that bad either. Unless it's a sportster you can't give those thing's away to anyone.

My 2002 Yamaha FZ1 however you will have to pry from my cold dead hands.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    ?.......WHUT?......:):.......permission?........:):......how ol' are you?(sumbody else's mentality on here...:):)

Tell ya whut......got'a tape-measure?.......stretch it out,an' put you right finger on'a # at's the average age all'a males in you family when they quit breath'n (70,75......whutever......)........then put you left finger on age you are now.......?.........see all'em #'s behind you left finger ?........?

Ya ain't gonna git them #'s back........trus'me.......

I kind of get what you are saying, but your tape measure gimmick is all jacked up. LOL! Every marriage is different. I've been married 23 years and I know how to properly traverse the relationship in a way that let's my wife know her opinion is appreciated and she knows how to make her opinion known, but leaves the final decision to me. Sometimes I see her point of view and she keeps me from leaping over a cliff and other times I know the benefit outweighs the cost and move forward. In this case, I am juggling a lot of things with my move, so I'm interested in hearing what she thinks.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I kind of get what you are saying, but your tape measure gimmick is all jacked up. LOL! Every marriage is different. I've been married 23 years and I know how to properly traverse the relationship in a way that let's my wife know her opinion is appreciated and she knows how to give her opinion known, but leaves the final decision to me. Sometimes I see her point of view and she keeps me from leaping over a cliff and other times I know the benefit outweighs the cost and move forward. In this case, I am juggling a lot of things with my move, so I'm interested in hearing what she thinks.

You're a wise man Que! Domestic bliss is paramount.

Top Bottom