• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have had bikes on and off since I was 16. Had a few Harley's along the way. Now have the Honda pictured and a 74 Hondamatic to restore. It is not that I like Honda's but ran into this at a great price, low miles, and now that I am old and don't care, easy maintenance. So far riding with a friend that has a Harley I had to help them get back home due to it coming apart. LOL

I was just looking for something not too expensive and the Harley's were twice the cost. Sure it is a plastic fantastic but it has two wheels and I like the floor boards.

293133_272593479419495_1725762_n.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's funny that Harley (corporate) and the dealership made it a no-brained to go with a new bike instead of the '15. The price difference was only $1,300 and the warranty on the '15 is almost up. Yeah, I could purchase the extended warranty, but that's an added cost out the door. I wonder what they do with new bikes that never sell? I mean, could there be a brand new '13 out there that didn't sell and couldn't sell now? I know they couldn't reduce the price too much, but if they don't sell, what do they do with them?

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    20160724_110340.jpg I think the have them all in here :):. I could not believe the amount of bikes they had stored.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    Any of you Harley guys (or any fan of two wheels) that have not seen the museum in Milwaukee it's well worth it if you can make the trip. Lots of history in that place.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    It's funny that Harley (corporate) and the dealership made it a no-brained to go with a new bike instead of the '15. The price difference was only $1,300 and the warranty on the '15 is almost up. Yeah, I could purchase the extended warranty, but that's an added cost out the door. I wonder what they do with new bikes that never sell? I mean, could there be a brand new '13 out there that didn't sell and couldn't sell now? I know they couldn't reduce the price too much, but if they don't sell, what do they do with them?

Dealer auctions. They have dealer inventory auctions a few times a year. You can seriously buy brand new bikes for pennies on the dollar. Occasionally however a dealer will bring one of his buddies to the auction and he will bid up a nice bike so no dealer can buy it and have a decent margin. Dealers aren't supposed to do that but it happens a lot. His buddy gets a great deal on a new or like new bike and he gets it off his floorplan. Shady deals like that pissed me off.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Also Dealer insentives my bike is a 2014 but I just bought it brand new in June this year. My bike retailed for $17,500 before tax title and doc fees, I bought it for 11,300 out the door. Dealers are also given insentives after so long in the form of rebates and financing deals to pass along to the customers. My bike is 3 model years old but was still new in a crate when I bought it for almost half price. I played the long game and got lucky with that one.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have had bikes on and off since I was 16. Had a few Harley's along the way. Now have the Honda pictured and a 74 Hondamatic to restore. It is not that I like Honda's but ran into this at a great price, low miles, and now that I am old and don't care, easy maintenance. So far riding with a friend that has a Harley I had to help them get back home due to it coming apart. LOL

I was just looking for something not too expensive and the Harley's were twice the cost. Sure it is a plastic fantastic but it has two wheels and I like the floor boards.

293133_272593479419495_1725762_n.jpg

The VTX series were actually really nice bikes. But like typical Honda style, if they have something good they stop making it. But the Fury, oh no that one is still in the line up.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Also Dealer insentives my bike is a 2014 but I just bought it brand new in June this year. My bike retailed for $17,500 before tax title and doc fees, I bought it for 11,300 out the door. Dealers are also given insentives after so long in the form of rebates and financing deals to pass along to the customers. My bike is 3 model years old but was still new in a crate when I bought it for almost half price. I played the long game and got lucky with that one.

The manager told me that they REALLY want to get their '16's out the door and they will work with me. I'm walking in with cash, but they will have to prove they want to work with me. He said my trade is worth $3k to them, but they will "do what's necessary" to make the deal. I also want the handle bars, foot pegs, and back rest off the '15 he talked me out of. He may not go for the handle bars, but they can deal on a new set and install them for free.

If a bike is listed at MSRP ($26,999) what is a reasonable purchase price?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If a bike is listed at MSRP ($26,999) what is a reasonable purchase price?

Not being familiar with how Harley works with their dealer network I don't know what kind of rebates and other goodies they offer but, assuming dealers have (depending on model) 20-35% margin. With the exception of something like the KLX250 which no kidding we only made about $75.00 on whend we sold one at full retail.

So assuming 30% margin would put dealer cost before rebates at around $19000. So they knock 3k off for your trade puts them at $22,000 in the bike lf they throw in the bars and accessories again I don't know their prices but call it $1500 puts them at roughly $23,500 in that 16 before dealer rebates.

That's about the best I can answer that question without knowing more about Harley corporate and dealer pricing

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Not being familiar with how Harley works with their dealer network I don't know what kind of rebates and other goodies they offer but, assuming dealers have (depending on model) 20-35% margin. With the exception of something like the KLX250 which no kidding we only made about $75.00 on whend we sold one at full retail.

So assuming 30% margin would put dealer cost before rebates at around $19000. So they knock 3k off for your trade puts them at $22,000 in the bike lf they throw in the bars and accessories again I don't know their prices but call it $1500 puts them at roughly $23,500 in that 16 before dealer rebates.

That's about the best I can answer that question without knowing more about Harley corporate and dealer pricing

Thank you! This helps a lot!

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I know I'm a little late to the party here but have you considered looking at a Victory over the Harley. Not trying to start a debate but they are great bikes and a little easier on the wallet than the HD. But if you're set on the HD then hope you get it. Two wheels is two wheels, it's about the ride not what you ride.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I know I'm a little late to the party here but have you considered looking at a Victory over the Harley. Not trying to start a debate but they are great bikes and a little easier on the wallet than the HD. But if you're set on the HD then hope you get it. Two wheels is two wheels, it's about the ride not what you ride.

Victory has very few Bagger options that compare to the Ultra Classic in terms of touring ability that aren't in the same price range. Same can be said for Polaris' other line of cruisers. Indian in most regards are higher dollar than comparable HDs although not by much and to honest I prefer the Indian's style to that of the HDs but cost wise for a full dressed American bagger is pretty much a wash between the two companies and three brands.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    For DirtBiker as promised

Our 78 Z1R

In the background you can see our CB1100F and '69 Triumph Bonneville along with another KZ900. I'm not going to post pics of all our classic bikes because frankly it would probably fill my Photobucket account up to the brim and take me all day to photograph them all. Not all are in this shape some are still in "to be restored" phase. My brother and I have talked about taking one each and Mad Maxing them out this winter. But I want to get a few more boom sticks and other things squared away before the end of this year so we will see what funds allow. Luckily rat bikes aren't supposed to cost a lot to build but, you know how that goes.

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks Kawtech! If possible, send me a couple samples of what you have for sale and prices. I'm interested in '76ish Z-1's, and '80 Z1R.
    also, if you have any HD mechanics that you would refer work to, I'd appreciate it!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Thanks Kawtech! If possible, send me a couple samples of what you have for sale and prices. I'm interested in '76ish Z-1's, and '80 Z1R.
    also, if you have any HD mechanics that you would refer work to, I'd appreciate it!

Everything is for sale for the right price. ;)

As for HD mechanics my dad is personal friends with the shop manager down at Bloomington HD. Well he used to be the shop manager down there. I haven't talked to him in a few years. Sharp dude really knows his HDs and is also a classic Jap/Euro bike enthusiast. His Name is Rich. Might give him a call. Can't guarantee name dropping will get you any prices breaks though.

If anyone cares or is interested a personal friend of mine and fellow INGOer is one of the big shot mechanics down at Bloomington Powersports. Although I doubt he would call himself a big shot, to modest, but he is a great mechanic, and just an all around cool guy. Lots of biker/gear heads on INGO actually.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

I've not noticed the Victory line very much. I'm sure it's a good bike, but I like Honda and Harley.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    Victory has very few Bagger options that compare to the Ultra Classic in terms of touring ability that aren't in the same price range. Same can be said for Polaris' other line of cruisers. Indian in most regards are higher dollar than comparable HDs although not by much and to honest I prefer the Indian's style to that of the HDs but cost wise for a full dressed American bagger is pretty much a wash between the two companies and three brands.

Indians do seem to be a little higher priced, but they are not my cup of tea. I've owned 2 Vicotry's now and both excellent bikes, just wanted to give another option.

I've not noticed the Victory line very much. I'm sure it's a good bike, but I like Honda and Harley.

If that's what you like and want the go for it, just throwing it out there. As long as you're on 2 wheels, that's the important part.

Top Bottom