• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Yea yea I know I know. WTF, right?

Went to Pop's Guns today for the first time. I give them +1 because they had three good books and I snatched all three of them...

"In The Gravest Extreme"
    "The Truth About Self Protection"
    and a double book...
    "Gun Proof Your Children" / "Handgun PRIMER"

All by Massad Ayoob

They also have a kick ass selection of various things. Just about anything you may need. Just about.

------------------------------------

I give them -1 because their prices are in the middle of Don's Guns and Bradis on a bad day!!! Used Sig P226 for $730??? Colt AR for $2600???? And just because it was "a Colt". Ammo prices weren't outrageous, but if you need ammo go somewhere else! +2 dollars on S&B 9mm than ANYWHERE ELSE, and Tiger 7.62x39mm is TEN DOLLARS A BOX OF TWENTY!!!! HOLY SHEEETTT!!!! :n00b:

It's kewl they have an indoor range and all but price gouge a little much????

indy77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I used to go to Pop guns when I lived on the east side. I agree with you on his prices. Guns, higher than a cat's back and the ammo is so so in price. Love the indoor range. Now that I live in Noblesville I am looking forward to Wyatt's in Cicero to open their indoor range. Supposed to be a big one.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I was in Pop's the other day to look around as well. My first time in there in well over a year, and man was I surprised at the prices. I knew everything was high, but I thought they were usually on the low side of high. I was also little disspointed I had to pay for a full hour of range time when I only spent about 20 minutes in the range?? For some reason I thought there used to be 1/2 hour increments. I was crunched for time but needed to get some practice so I suppose its worth every penny. I did pick up a few mag extensions, as those were priced about the same as anywhere else.

And not to hijack the thread, but I was in Cicero not long ago and happened to remember to look for Wyatts, and couldn't find them. Aren't they on SR19 a block or two from the light off of the main intersection? (That is what the big sign on US31 says I think.)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The one thing I noticed about Pops... They weren't none too friendly. Could not get them talking TO me instead of AT me or to their co-workers... At least Jerry at AAC not only will work with you on prices, but will sit and talk with you for as long as he isn't busy! :): Same with Bradis.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Does anyone from Pop's actually post here and have a clue how badly they seem to be viewed??

I've had one great salesguy there. Everyone else (4-5 additional visits) have been... well... not pleasant. I go there only begrudgingly and will pay more to get the same gear from BG, Bradis or PSS. Not that I have to pay more - BG, Bradis and PSS are less expensive with night-and-day better service than Pops.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Make the drive and go to AAC. Look for the red Ford truck. Jerry will work with almost anyone on prices. He's 10% above his cost on EVERYTHING. He's honest and isn't out to screw anyone. AAC is only a couple miles from Bradis. I use Bradis to get ammo when AAC doesn't have it on sale and to check out prices and feel of guns. Otherwise I'll spend my money at AAC.

Jerry's the FFL that handled my NICS appeal and was really patient about it. I guess that makes me bias... :dunno:

BSUrugger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Behind the reticle
    I'm on the East side as well and I make the trip to Bradis before Pop's. I recently went to Rendezvous Guns in Greenfield. Their prices are about average but I found they had amazing prices on ammo.

RusL330

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Thanks for the info. I am new to guns and would have shopped from Pop as it is closer to the house. I'll take a look at the other stores before making a purchase.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks for the info. I am new to guns and would have shopped from Pop as it is closer to the house. I'll take a look at the other stores before making a purchase.

If Pop's is near you, then so is Beech Grove Firearms, and they'll take MUCH better care of you.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The last time I went to Pops I could not get anyone to talk to me. They had just gotten their lunch and were to busy stuffing their faces and talking to each other. I know a man has to eat ... but they are in business to sell to the customer. It also bothered me that they all had on at least TWO guns each! I understand things can go bad quickly but if you empty a high cap pistol at someone and can't reload faster than just pulling another gun you need to quit shooting. I just felt they all had a Closet Command mentality. Just IMHO....

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    The last time I went to Pops I could not get anyone to talk to me. They had just gotten their lunch and were to busy stuffing their faces and talking to each other. I know a man has to eat ... but they are in business to sell to the customer. It also bothered me that they all had on at least TWO guns each! I understand things can go bad quickly but if you empty a high cap pistol at someone and can't reload faster than just pulling another gun you need to quit shooting. I just felt they all had a Closet Command mentality. Just IMHO....

As unimpressed as I, too, was with Pops, what's wrong with carrying two guns? And **** man, how much time have YOU spent on the East Side??? That is NOT a great area over there and I'm suprised they haven't been robbed. I'd carry two guns too.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    First not all of the east side is bad and honestly post and washington are not great but I feel safe there. Also I agree Pop's gun prices are silly high. I however have found them to have the best selection of holsters for the largest variety of guns. I do like there range but it is always busy. Anyways just my thoughts.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I used the range at POP's today. 200 rounds of WWB (one misfire) through my G23 & G27. Had to wait about 20 minutes for a range lane.

An older gentleman showed me his new Taurus Judge, he was upset he couldn't find .410 (00 buck) :D I told him a point blank shot with most any .410 shell from a 3" barrel would do the trick...

A good day all except getting my Jeep sprayed on 465 by some odd DOT truck the had some huge water tank and a dozen fluid sprayers shooting, what I hope was just water, onto the road. I'd just cleaned and waxed the Jeep after all the snow had dissappeared.

TK :patriot:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    As unimpressed as I, too, was with Pops, what's wrong with carrying two guns? And **** man, how much time have YOU spent on the East Side??? That is NOT a great area over there and I'm suprised they haven't been robbed. I'd carry two guns too.

I have carried for years and have never, luckily, needed to use my gun. I practice and think I'm pretty proficient with any of the guns I carry. I do carry a spare mag. I think that for a non law enforcement/military situation the likely hood of needing 2 guns vs 1 gun and spare mags is pretty slim. Of all the gun shops I've been in while traveling the country Pops was the only one that every employee was carrying 2 guns. It was over a year ago but I think that they were 2 full size guns too. I'm sure there are loaded shotguns and possibly ARs in there as well. Like I said I just have never seen that before and thought it odd. Not wanting to start an argument. :twocents:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I must be an exception to the rule... I've never had any problem getting help when I've been at Pop Gun's. They also understand when I don't want or need any help and leave me alone to scope things out for myself.

I bought a range membership and use it every chance I get. I'll agree though their gun prices are a bit on the high side. Beech Grove, Plainfield, Bradis, AAC ( I think thats the name). They all are better priced and have simliar in house inventories.

Too bad there's not more indoor (or outdoor for that matter) gun ranges in Indy.

Anybody have a rich uncle that would like to open a new range? :D

my :twocents:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A good day all except getting my Jeep sprayed on 465 by some odd DOT truck the had some huge water tank and a dozen fluid sprayers shooting, what I hope was just water, onto the road. I'd just cleaned and waxed the Jeep after all the snow had dissappeared.

TK :patriot:

Hate to break it to you...but that was a "salt brine" truck.

It was either NaCl + water or MgCl + water...

Better wash yer Jeep. :yesway:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I have carried for years and have never, luckily, needed to use my gun. I practice and think I'm pretty proficient with any of the guns I carry. I do carry a spare mag. I think that for a non law enforcement/military situation the likely hood of needing 2 guns vs 1 gun and spare mags is pretty slim. Of all the gun shops I've been in while traveling the country Pops was the only one that every employee was carrying 2 guns. It was over a year ago but I think that they were 2 full size guns too. I'm sure there are loaded shotguns and possibly ARs in there as well. Like I said I just have never seen that before and thought it odd. Not wanting to start an argument. :twocents:

Oh I wasn't trying to start a fight, sorry for that impression!:cheers: I'm just saying I know how gangs operate and having a gun store on the East side, I'd have an aresenal available too.

Whoever said not all of the east side is bad, you're right. But just because one neighborhood isn't all that bad doesn't mean the one next to it isn't. Being 2-3 blocks from a gang neighborhood doesn't make it a safe neighborhood.:twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Yeah I live in Broad Ripple and a few blocks in either direction can get very dicey. I always tuck my 1911, Glock 33 or one of my P7s in a belt slide to walk the dog. When working in the drive or garage I always have something within reach. I'll try Pops again and see what happens. It was over a year ago that I was there so to be fair I'll make another trip over there one day.;)

Top Bottom