• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Springfield XD(M) 9mm or S&W M&P 9mm or Glock 17/34?

• Total voters

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    I love shooting at Friday Night Steel with my 10/22, and I'm going to start at Atlanta CC, but I'm starting to think about trying with a pistol, and maybe eventually try some USPSA. I've been researching different pistols to use for competition and and range work, and i guess for defense, but to be honest, that's not really a priority for me atm. I have not shot many handguns, just bro-in-law's Beretta PX-4 Storm regularly, and a smattering of others.

I took my cousin and brother-in-law to Pop Guns as planned today, after hitting Yen Ching on E. Washington St. (if you've never been, you're a silly, silly person who must not like Chinese food.) The plan was to rent a lane and as many of the autos as I could:

Sig Sauer P226 .40 - This is the gun I'd done most of my research on, as I liked the look of it and a lot of people said it was a good one. It was by far and away the heaviest of the guns we shot today. It was also the first .40 ive ever shot, and i was not prepared for the recoil. (bear in mind, i'm mostly used to my 10/22 :) It's a high quality pistol, and I still want to try one in 9mm, but i walked away liking some of the others better.

Springfield 40SE Stainless (i think) - Holy lightweight gun! And in .40, it kicked quite a bit. It shot well, but to be honest, it was not for me and it was obvious from the get go, so i switched.

Springfield XD subcompact 9mm - THAT'S better! 9mm so the punch was less, and the gun just fit in my hand nicely. It was the sub compact so it was small, and it had an extended magazine that extended the grip about 1 inch, so it worked well. I also feel like the grip safety and the trigger safety work pretty well. It instantly left me wanting to try a bigger XD, but its the only XD that Pop Guns had for rental. More on that later.

Beretta 92 9mm - Very nice, pointed well, heavy, metal, fit my hand well, longer sight radius was easy to aim and shoot well. Most of my carefully shot groups at 20 feet were about 2-3 inches, give or take, with all of these guns. The Beretta shot great, felt good, but i don't know if i'd consider owning one. I know they're proven from military use, but still...

Glock 17 9mm - Oh, here we go: Ok, i do not GET what you glock people like about these guns! Sure, it shoots ok, but it just feels cheaper and grittier, especially when working the slide. I... just felt dirty inside :) **runs for cover**

Walther P22 .22LR - Holy crap, this one's fun. Light gun, light trigger, safety that's ... unintelligible and cheap-feeling. can't figure out how to decock it, but lol, lots of fun to shoot, and very cool looking. I think my brother-in-law might end up buying one to plink at the range. Good stuff. It's probably worth noting that the P22 had the only malfunction of the day: I loaded a magazine, racked the slide, and went to fire the first shot, and got a *click* and no bang. I wrongly assumed that I failed to chamber a round, so i racked the slide again, and got a nice little double feed, which sort of cleared itself, and then i went on firing.

Other stuff: Shot B.I.L.'s Beretta PX-4 Storm in 9mm. I love that gun, and its kind of what i compare most handguns to, because i like it so much. Its got the rotating barrel that takes some recoil energy to operate, so its a mild gun to shoot. Its got a wonderful, mechanical feel to it, and twin safety/decockers on the slide. It's also a little top heavy unloaded, but with a full magazine in it, its perfect.

We shot my Tapco'd 10/22 some after removing my Nikon Prostaff and re-affixing my NCStar reflex sight for steel on friday. It preformed as expected, reliably throwing federal .22LR down range in nice little quick-fired groups. Good, quick gun.

After we got done shooting (finally), I really wanted to feel a bigger XD, so we paid up and then I had the guys show me a Springfield XDm 3.8. THAT gun just might follow your's truely home some day. It felt great in my hand, pointed really well, had good weight to it without being heavy. MMMmmm.

Then he pulled out a S&W M&P 9mm (is that the model, the 9mm?) That gun also felt great, lighter than the Sig P226, and pointed nicely in my hand. I really liked these two guns and i'd kind of like any feedback from you guys that own one or both of those two, or if you'd like to add your :twocents: about any of the others that i've commented on!

Overall, we had a blast, good food, good noise, learned a lot, which was my goal.:rockwoot:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    I'm not "defending" the Glock 17 BUT, I have rented Pops pistols before and I doubt they clean them except maybe a yearly at best, if ever.

It's nice to be able to rent the variety they have though:yesway:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You cannot go wrong with the M&P. As you discovered, the M&P has what many people describe as the best ergonomics of any combat-class handgun.

Unlike other polymer pistols, the M&P actually has a full steel inner frame, and the slide actually rides on replaceable steel frame components... Just imagine the usable service life.

The highest praise for the M&P I ever read came from the well known gun industry writer and pundit, Massad Ayoob. He reviewed the M&P9 Pro Series for Gun Magazine and during the review, he shot his all-time-best IDPA scores his first time shooting the M&P... He wrote, "It’s a good gun, and a good value. Anything letting a wheezy old gunwriter shoot a personal best is something you quicker, sharper shooters will probably appreciate even more than I do". He even bought the test M&P. (Source: Guns Magazine Article)

The only complaint that many people have with the M&P is with the trigger. Some say that it feels gritty out of the box, although this does go away with use. Still others say that the trigger has too much over-travel and has an indistinct trigger reset. These complaints have been resolved with a 3rd party drop-in sear from Apex Tactical. All of my M&P's have gotten this wonderful little $29.00 upgrade... Even the M&P9 Pro Series, which already had a very good trigger.

You like the M&P, so go ahead and pull the trigger and buy it. You won't regret it.

P.S. The M&P is made here in America by a U.S. based company with U.S. based labor. Let's keep America strong.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    Congrats on a good day of shooting. Go with an M&P - it's a great gun out of the box with a lifetime warranty from an outstanding US based business. I bought mine without shooting it (which I normally don't do) and have loved it ever since.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    My wife has the XDsc and I have the M&P. They are different enough that I wouldn't call them interchangeable. But I wouldn't be insulted by just having either one. The grip and grip safety is the real reason she has hers, and the ergonomics are why I have mine.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Either the M&P or XDm would be a good choice. Nice range report. It is always best to go get hands on with any firearms you considering before you make a purchase. Good job.

JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    Was that you that was leaving just a little after 3pm? If so the wife and I were the one's behind you in line at the register, that said the xd was a great gunand i carry it every day. :D

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Great report. I have an xd subcompct, and I've heard good things about the M&P. I don't think you can go wrong if you chose either.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Great report! I think you'd be happy with either the XDm (I'd get the longer barrel) or the M&P in 9mm. Make sure you bring either one out to FNS when you get one!

Glock32j

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Danville IN
    Good report and finally someone has a decent time at pops. All the guns you shot are great guns but try different model numbers and calibers of the glock. Glocks are the best out there.

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Was that you that was leaving just a little after 3pm? If so the wife and I were the one's behind you in line at the register, that said the xd was a great gunand i carry it every day. :D

Very much so, yes. You commented on the XD i think. Hi :):

Chizzle, whichever one I end up with will make it to FNS, as it's kinda the whole point! :D

Rimfire, It was just under $90. Paid for 1 lane with 3 people, $11 gun rental (still a heck of a deal, imho) and 1 box of .40 and i think one box of 9mm. An extra $16 was spent in cash on another box of 9mm. We were there for approx 2 hrs? give or take...

Top Bottom