• ...and so much more!
  • What should my first 22lr plinker be?

• Total voters

MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Given the 2 primary options of the poll I would go 10/22. Far more accessories, the laminate stocks look great, and I prefer the bx-25 mags to the other aftermarket offerings. For other .22s I would suggest the s&w 15-22 or sig 522. I have had several great days with some bulk packs and my 15-22. The adjustable stock is also nice for young shooters.

MP43

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Rochester
    I voted other. Love all 22's. Presently have the 10-22, Remington 597 and sw 15-22 and out of the three the 597 is spot on in accuracy and not a single problem. Like the other two alot also but the 597 i find myself shooting more than the others.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I like 10/22s if your going semi auto. Marlin quality seems to keep sinking since Remington bought them. If your at all interested in bolt guns the ruger 77 and the savages are nice but I think a CZ or if u can find a used Remington 541S you would be well served by any of those bolt guns.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I chose "other" and I will specify this:

Remington 597

597-prod.ashx

:+1: I just realized that this thread is from April, but regardless! Im not a fan of Rugers. They are very popular and easy to customize, but I have a tendency to go down a path less traveled. I like the Remington 597, as a matter of fact this picture looks like my own rifle. Its a good shooter, I paid $180 for mine about two years ago. Its slowly becoming more popular of a platform as time progresses, but as for a bolt action? Savage! Im not brave enough to trust Marlin yet. I had an older Marlin 795 that was pre Remington, very accurate, wish I hadnt of sold it now.... Ive been eye balling a Savage bolt action for some time, I'm just waiting for them to be on sale at GM. That way I can pick up some more .22 ammo.

Last edited:

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I prefer a bolt gun over a 10/22. My personal favorite in that price range is a cz452 trainer. I grew up playing with marlin bolt guns and they shot pretty well but they just feel cheap. The marlins and savages both feel like toys compared to a cz or a ruger 77/22. But thats probably why they are cheaper. The cz and 77/22 action feels like a bigger caliber bolt gun when the marlin/savage feel like a small piece of tube stock with bent piece of steel for a handle. Dont take me wrong they both do what they need to do. The savage i had was a heavy barrel free floated gun with a laminated thumbhole stock. It was nice but it didnt shoot as well as the cz452 trainer and it weighed a ton so i sold it. I have never had a 22 that would shoot as good as the cz but ive never had any high dollar 22's either. If you want a bolt gun for less than $350 i would say a cz is hard to beat. The cz trigger and the savage accu-trigger both are nice especially if your comparing them to a 10/22 orany other semi-auto in the price range. It depends on what you want? I go through way less ammo with a bolt gun than i do with a semi-auto. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the 22's mentioned.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I really do not like the idea of a bolt gun. It requires too much movement between shots; it is difficult to hold my NPOA, keep my rhythm, control my breathing, etc.

I can do better with a lever action rifle, like the Marlin 39A. The lever movement is less destructive to my NPOA and it is easier to keep my rhythm and breathing under control.

But the semi-auto is easiest for marksmanship training. Little movement is required beyond the trigger finger. Once I master the skill of shooting, being able to put all my shots in the bull's eye with a properly sighted rifle and to qualify as a marksman on an Appleseed qualifier, then I would be ready to try the lever or bolts.

So, my preference remains:

#1 Ruger 10/22 (or Remington 597)
    #2 AR-style .22 such as S&W 15-22
    #3 Marlin 39A

:twocents:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I voted other at 350 you could possibly get a marlin 39a if you got lucky or found one needing a little tlc.

They will outshoot the others listed as factory guns and increase in value over time.

Then em again just let that 39a stay for sale at 350 and pm me where I can buy it .

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I know this thread is old, but I want to throw my two cents in for an OLD Mosberg.
    If you like bolt guns, the older Mossberg model 144's and 146's are EXCELLENT firearms, and every bit as accurate as I am.

rocker4x4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    SE
    I bought a Marlin XT-22TR. Its the bolt action tube load, I've had other 22's with clips, seemed like they would get in the way squirrel hunting. I love it, its a nail driver. and the tube load bolt action is a great mix

Top Bottom