Jan 12, 2012

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I am not convinced from the information given that it was in fact a hate crime. No information was given regarding the altercation preceding the vehicular attack. It is entirely possible that hostilities were focused on some entirely different issue.
    Prosecutors argued Courtier was motivated by his white supremacist beliefs — saying he was a member of the European Kindred white supremacist prison gang and was wearing the gang's logo on his baseball cap and had its tattoo on his leg when he encountered Bruce.

I've never heard of "Euorpean Kindred" but if it's true that he belongs to it, and it is indeed a white supremacy group (the name kinda strongly implies that it is), and he has some kind of legit justification for running that guy over, it really is a horrible coincidence that this White Supremacist happened to run down and kill a black person. For statistical purposes I don't have a problem with them classifying the motive as hate crime. It's in the FBI NIBRS system for a long time as a way to categorize such things for statistical purposes. Not fond of "hate crime" laws as such. But nevertheless, if it wasn't self defense, and it doesn't sound like this was, the sentence seems just to me without the superfluous "hate crime" label attached. You don't just get to just run people over and kill them.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Prosecutors argued Courtier was motivated by his white supremacist beliefs — saying he was a member of the European Kindred white supremacist prison gang and was wearing the gang's logo on his baseball cap and had its tattoo on his leg when he encountered Bruce.

I've never heard of "Euorpean Kindred" but if it's true that he belongs to it, and it is indeed a white supremacy group (the name kinda strongly implies that it is), and he has some kind of legit justification for running that guy over, it really is a horrible coincidence that this White Supremacist happened to run down and kill a black person. For statistical purposes I don't have a problem with them classifying the motive as hate crime. It's in the FBI NIBRS system for a long time as a way to categorize such things for statistical purposes. Not fond of "hate crime" laws as such. But nevertheless, if it wasn't self defense, and it doesn't sound like this was, the sentence seems just to me without the superfluous "hate crime" label attached. You don't just get to just run people over and kill them.

My point is that there is a burden of proof beyond evidence of the man's general beliefs. His motive could have just as easily been that the decedent said his momma wears combat boots which has nothing to do with race. It doesn't justify murder, but still fails to pass muster for a 'hate crime'.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My point is that there is a burden of proof beyond evidence of the man's general beliefs. His motive could have just as easily been that the decedent said his momma wears combat boots which has nothing to do with race. It doesn't justify murder, but still fails to pass muster for a 'hate crime'.

Agreed. But he did kill the guy. I don't think that much was in question. Did he use a self-defense defense?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Now, Dave, we all know it is much worse to kill someone because you hate their color than if you just hate them or you just kill them for the thrill of it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    No prison time for Massachusetts man who sent white powder to Don Jr. and Eric Trump.

On Friday, Federal Judge Nathaniel Gorton said he declined to send Frisiello to prison because of concerns the 25-year-old would not respond well to incarceration. Frisiello’s lawyer has said the man is developmentally disabled. But Groton stressed the sentence wasn’t “lenient”

Frisiello thanked Groton and said the past year has been “hell” for his family. Prosecutors objected to the sentence.

During the period of probation, Frisiello is prohibited from contacting victims in the case, sending letters through the mail, accessing the internet, and possessing and accessing computers

"Would not respond well to incarceration..."

What the **** does that mean

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I know that I would nor respond well to prison.

Okay, if the judge isn't going to give the guy prison time, he should have to wear headphones 14 hours/day with Christiana Ford's testimony playing over and over and over and over and over....you get the idea.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom