• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    This troublemaker right here....The man that kept my Papaw sane and grinning from 1942-1945 while in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy....

bill-mauldin-italy-world-war-2.jpg

I love this one....

bill%2Bmauldin%2B6.jpg
    The best thing about Bill Mauldin is that (unlike, say Herblock) is that he went after politicians and policies of both parties with equal vigor, when they did something corrupt, stupid, or just plain evil.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The best thing about Bill Mauldin is that (unlike, say Herblock) is that he went after politicians and policies of both parties with equal vigor, when they did something corrupt, stupid, or just plain evil.

Hence why Patton called him an "unpatriotic anarchist," and wanted to "throw his @$$ in jail."

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Yep....One of my great joys was sitting with my grandfather and going over a book of Up front cartoons from an Italian theater book issued to the troops and having him explain the jokes I didn't get.....

My grandfather, Ernie Pyle, and Bill Maudlin all had something in common...They couldn't stand Patton...

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Hence why Patton called him an "unpatriotic anarchist," and wanted to "throw his @$$ in jail."

When the Patton museum opened up at Fort Knox back in the 1980's I (being ignorant) puffed up my chest and said,

"Papaw...I am going to take you to the new Patton museum at Fort Knox...."

Papaw took a long drag on his cigarette and said,

"Boy...I wouldn't go to the Patton Museum if it were across the street, on fire and I need to take pee...."

"Uh...But I thought you all love him..."

"No...He was an egomaniac that cared more about getting in the papers than us getting home...."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When the Patton museum opened up at Fort Knox back in the 1980's I (being ignorant) puffed up my chest and said,

"Boy...I wouldn't go to the Patton Museum if it were across the street, on fire and I need to take pee...."

"No...He was an egomaniac that cared more about getting in the papers than us getting home...."

You don't know how lucky you are to have had the chance to get to know either of your grandfathers...he sounds like a cool one. :thumbsup:

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    It sure would have been fun to have Mauldin alive and able to draw during the 2016 election season. He might have worn out his drawing hand, though.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Patton is a fascinating character. And was robbed of the gold medal in the olympics. Even though he fought like a Nazi, he's always been one of my "heroes," since I watched the movie (a BILLION times) on my parent's Beta. But I completely understand why his soldiers him. "His guts, our blood." He was no Omar Bradley.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Patton is a fascinating character. And was robbed of the gold medal in the olympics. Even though he fought like a Nazi, he's always been one of my "heroes," since I watched the movie (a BILLION times) on my parent's Beta. But I completely understand why his soldiers him. "His guts, our blood." He was no Omar Bradley.

I noticed the one's that served under him in North Africa, Sicily, and Italy tended to despise him but the guy's that served with him from D-Day on tend to love him.....It's weird....

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    He may have mellowed out after the drubbing he got for cowardice incident.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    This is getting a bit off track for the thread, but I find the attitudes of the soldiers, media, etc. towards Patton very interesting. Patton was known as "Blood and Guts", while Bradley was known as a commander that cared for his soldiers. Yet, if you study the casualty rates, the units with the highest were all in Bradley's army. It is often a curious thing about history that the common perceptions of the time completely defy subsequent attempts of analysis to explain them.

My grandfather served in Bradley's army and I had always believed everything about Patton vs. Bradley. Then I saw the casualty rate for my grandfather's unit (9th ID, over 100%), and started digging.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom