• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I don’t blame him for the decision to go. I blame him for gutting the readiness for the military to carry out the mission, to the extent of the role that played in the failure of the mission. I believe in reality, Kut, to the extent it is knowable. There is no partisan logic in what I’ve said.

So do you, or don't you blame Carter for the botched Iranian Hostage Crisis. It was his sole decision, and traditionally, people have placed blame squarely on his shoulders. On the same token, if the Bin Laden Raid had gone bad, I think he would have (solely) been named responsible. If you're willing to say that you would not have blamed if Bin Laden raid went bad, then you have solid footing on your stance... but seriously, who are we kidding?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    26169524_10155894308031163_2736974992685573349_n.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    So do you, or don't you blame Carter for the botched Iranian Hostage Crisis. It was his sole decision, and traditionally, people have placed blame squarely on his shoulders. On the same token, if the Bin Laden Raid had gone bad, I think he would have (solely) been named responsible. If you're willing to say that you would not have blamed if Bin Laden raid went bad, then you have solid footing on your stance... but seriously, who are we kidding?

Kut, I believe you are wrong. Carter OK'd a mission that was planned by military special OPs and the mission went sideways because of equipment failure and general SNAFU. That was not carter's fault and anyone who says it was is wrong.

The Obama raid had it's problems but came off successfully In spite of the problems. I applaud the SEALs that pulled it off and the CIA officer that pushed it. I am glad that Obama finally OK'd the raid, but his foot dragging does not impress me. He does ultimately get credit for Bin Laden's capture under his administration. As stated earlier it was Bush's policies carried over into Obama's administration that got the job done.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Lets not leave slick willie out of this. He denied multiple attempts to kill bin laden, WELL before 9/11.

Would the WTT still be standing today if he acted? Probably.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

No. I would not blame Obama if things went badly unless he had a role in causing the failure. It was a no-brainer to do it.

But if, for example, for partisan reasons, he put constraints on the mission which caused it to fail, then yes, he deserves the blame. I’d rather not credit or condemn the president for things he didn’t actually affect other than being lresident at the time and ordering something any president would have ordered. Again, I don’t blame Carter for trying to rescue the hostages. But he shares in the blame only to the extent that his policies contributed to the failure. I don’t see anything inconsistent with that.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    That's one way to look at it.... from a partisan perspective. Based on the above, I can only assume that you don't blame Carter for the botched Iranian hostage rescue.

How else would you characterize the above? That's just how it happened. Carter's failure was not the mission, that was mostly Murphy. And some leadership failures.

The President is like the GM of an NFL team. It isn't his direct fault when the QB can't punch it in on 4th and goal. His failure is in the sum of his decisions that led to the season depending on that one play.

Carter is the guy who took the injured and demoralized team, then sent in his special teams instead of the full squad for the biggest game of his career. Reagan is the guy who rebuilt the team and intimidated the rivals so bad they shut the whole team down. Bush 41 is the guy who took someone else's great team, went undefeated in the regular season then didn't show up for the playoffs. Clinton fired the practice squad, cut everyone else's salaries and made them play with worn out pads. Bush 43 started a series of simultaneous exhibition matches against the Pop Warner league and took the games into quadruple overtime. Obama is the GM who managed to beat the cross town rival in his second season, then never accomplished anything after that. Trump is TBD.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not based on my experience hanging around with some of my Mensa friends who manage to work it into every conversation.

card2.jpg

You have Mensa "friendS," plural? I don't think I've ever met a Mensa member... or at least not one that has admitted it. Honestly, I'd be skeptical if someone told me that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bball4life1234
    Top Bottom