Political funny pictures thread, part IV. Bring on the leather!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Interesting article: thanks. Guess I should do my homework before posting.

tenor.gif

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Interesting article: thanks. Guess I should do my homework before posting.

To be fair - not all of that weight is steel like it was implied. For instance there is no steel in the blades - they are made of various composite materials - glass fiber reinforced epoxy, carbon fiber reinforced epoxy, etc. The housing for the nacelle is also not steel. That is not to say there isn't a lot of steel in these things, because there is. They just are not all steel so it isn't right to count the total weight.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    To be fair - not all of that weight is steel like it was implied. For instance there is no steel in the blades - they are made of various composite materials - glass fiber reinforced epoxy, carbon fiber reinforced epoxy, etc. The housing for the nacelle is also not steel. That is not to say there isn't a lot of steel in these things, because there is. They just are not all steel so it isn't right to count the total weight.

And, of course those materials were produced using no fossil fuels and produced no hydrocarbons.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    And, of course those materials were produced using no fossil fuels and produced no hydrocarbons.

Of course they used fossil fuels in producing those materials. All I'm saying is the original meme is intentionally misleading. That quote was not even written by Thomas Homer-Dixon but rather by David Hughes in a book edited by Homer-Dixon. It is also incomplete, leaving out this segment from the middle...
    [FONT=IBM Plex Serif, serif]The question is: how long must a windmill generate energy before it creates more energy than it took to build it? At a good wind site, the energy payback day could be in three years or less; in a poor location, energy payback may be never. [/FONT]

Saskatchewan Wind and Vista have done an analysis of wind turbine payback and come with times like 6 months for carbon payback and energy payback. Of course they have an agenda. Many others have done that analysis and come with a large variety of answers - I suspect all such studies have been influenced by prejudice.

I would love to see an honest analysis of the cost payback, carbon payback and dollar payback done by somebody with integrity and no agenda. It would have to consider site purchase and preparation cost, materials, manufacturing, assembly, maintenance and decommission. These days it is very difficult to find anybody that would even qualify to do the analysis.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Not necessarily misleading. Not every false statement is a lie.

I think it is very misleading.
    It says it is made of 260 tons of steel - this part isn't really misleading - it is a lie.
    It also implies that all windmills will never payback what they cost in energy - that is misleading. I hate it when the left lies their ass off to further their crap. So I also hate it when my side lies and misleads.

I am not a pro-windmill person. I see so damn many of them not even spinning - they can't be doing much good that way. I am just a pro-truth person.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Snipezze
    Top Bottom