• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Wrists have been slapped

A total of 62 police vehicles and 115 officers chased after 2 unarmed suspects in a Chevy Malibu. 13 officers drew their weapons and fired 137 rounds into the suspects' car. The suspects had no weapons, and not a single officer reported seeing a weapon. One officer climbed on top of the suspects' vehicle and shot 49 rounds into the occupants.

The conclusion: The only guy who was fired wasn't even at the scene of the shooting. He was the supervisor. There were 2 demotions, and 9 officers who were suspended between 1-30 days. Everyone who participated in the homicide are still on the streets keeping you safe.

The sergeant dismissed Tuesday, Michael Donegan, briefly participated in the chase last November but pulled off, parked his patrol car and failed to supervise his officers, police officials said.

Cleveland punishes 12 officers in deadly chase

_h353_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

Last edited:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    What a mess...

full? try stuffed, overflowing, engorged or some other verbiage. full just doesnt quite cut it.

:yesway:

As far as shooting fleeing suspects go j7, I can imagine certainly has its merits. Seeing how dangerous police chases are, and the amount of accidents/deaths that result, either there needs to be a no-chase policy or shoot the driver policy. There was a crazy chase video on TV awhile back on one of those " Wildest Police Video " shows. It had a semi hauling lumber that was driving dangerously all over the place. They shot the rear tires out and the sparks set the lumber on fire, and the driver started shaking the trailer and dropping lumber everywhere. They did end up using a SWAT team, an officer was able to exit the vehicle, sprint, and fire while running towards the semi that was turning left at an intersection and STILL hit the driver. Driver had to stop before he eventually would bleed out.

The suspects being unarmed doesn't mean they can't use deadly force. A vehicle is worse than a gun....

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And no gun or shell casings were found in the suspects car. What could possibly justify them shooting 137 times?

Because after 135 they were still twitching.

Because that's all they had?
    snopes.com: Sheriff Judd's Comments

Or for a less snarky and probably more accurate reason. 13 officers, 137 shots fired. Or just under 11 shots per officer. If it had been one officer who had fired 11 shots would that sound as bad? Would you say that after 10 rounds they were still twitching?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    49 of those rounds were fired by one officer and he has been indicted for manslaughter as a result of his actions. That brings the average down to less than 8 each for the other 12 officers.

CMB69

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Indy

"Police pulled her over, and then claimed she backed into a patrol car twice. They shot up her car with ten shots.

But the East Cleveland mayor found the officers were not in danger. He fired them. And later, the charges against Fitzgerald were thrown out."

Does that mean the officers lied about what happened?

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Does that mean the officers lied about what happened?

I certainly wouldn't make that assumption but it's likely I'm in the minority here. The Chief is a politician and if public outcry wanted the officers gone many Chief's will sacrifice their own to save their position. Not saying that was the case here but it's certainly enough to prevent me from passing judgement without more info.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Can't say that I blame him in this particular instance. The prosecutor has granted immunity to two other officers who testified but has not for the officer invoking the 5th. The prosecutor then says he doesn't believe officers should be granted immunity for testifying and tells the officer in question that he should just trust that the prosecutor will not attempt to charge him with a crime.

Something doesn't add up here and the officer who has invoked the 5th did fire his weapon that night. If others are granted immunity but he is not, what else is he to do?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I can't say. I support his right to invoke the 5th, but immunity should have never been handed out to anyone in this case. This one stank from the beginning and the air isn't getting any clearer.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I can't say. I support his right to invoke the 5th, but immunity should have never been handed out to anyone in this case. This one stank from the beginning and the air isn't getting any clearer.

We're on the same sheet of music as far as this case stinking. It was beyond screwed on many levels.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've seen police misconduct before, so I'm not going to say there are no bad cops, incompetent cops, or mistaken police policies, but I'm also reminded, from personal experience, that after-action reports are written by folks who generally weren't there when the action took place for other folks who are prone to making decisions based on politics instead of policies.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I read the entire thread. I recognize that this happened SOMEWHERE ELSE. I am not accusing our INGO LEOs of any wrong doing whatsoever. I understand that they are outside observers of this incident just like I am. Still........ I am having a problem swallowing entirely the "Deadly force is deadly force" thing.

I am willing to concede that Officers have unique problems and circumstances that they must negotiate while trying to perform their duties. I will sign on to the "Dead is dead no matter how many bullets" concept on one condition. I want an official position taken on the ABUSE OF A CORPSE......

At what point does pounding lead into dead meat become pointless, not to mention reckless endangerment of the general public?

We recognize the futility of BEATING a dead horse, why not the futility of SHOOTING one?

Now remember, I have not taken a stance on the shoot/don't shoot whatsoever....... With the info given I can't be certain on that. The shoot/stop shooting seems to be more clear cut.

Top Bottom