• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Well first off, Police officers /peace officers what ever you want to call them. Are not lawyers. They do not necessarily understand the full scope of the law. While some have an in depth knowledge most don't. Just like your local lawyer isn't going to know every local state law intimately. (yeah they do research on the laws pertaining to specific cases when hired). For example one lawyer might only do general criminal law, another specializing in DUI/Traffic/ Another for family law.. etc... But The police officer isn't supposed to know the law, they are not the ones supposed to be slamming the hammer down.. They are there to observe, and when they feel they observe Person X committing Y then they intervene, depending on the severity of Y. If they made a faulty arrest etc.. that is for the courts/prosecutors/jury/judge/ lawyers to sort out, and provide an acceptable remedies for the committed offense infringement etc.

If you are truly, NEVER TAKE A "COPS" word for it. Remember they can Lie to you, and you can't lie to them.. wanting to know the TRUE legalities Consult a lawyer. If you want to read the laws on your own and interpret them go for it. I suggest buying a Black's law dictionary..

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    I have seen many LEO's post here. Sometimes we forget the good ones because we see the bad ones. I have made the effort lately to thank the good ones and send in complaints about the bad ones.

I am probably correct in assuming that there are a lot of former Leo's that participate on this forum.
    As has been previously stated, most times Leo's and former Leo's only offer an opinion to an issue.
    Some people just naturally don't like Leo's and that shows up sometimes on this board.
    Just give the Leo's credit for what they do, not all Leo's are a..holes.:twocents:

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Sometimes they DO comment. Sometimes they don't. Frankly, with the amount of cop-hating on INGO, I'm surprised any of them comment at all.

I feel as though there is a double standard here. If one speaks about the wrongs of LEO, they are labled as cop haters or bashers, yet if same type of discussion is said of politicians, hater and basher are rarely used.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I made some recommendations on here, a series of 'how to's", if you will, regadring inteactions with an LEO, bit in IN & out of state. While I'm sure that some accepted it for what it was (suggestions), others saw it as a point of argument.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    LEO's are just people and probably don't have a need to input on every police matter .

Chicago-ans don't want to be the spokesperson for every story out of Chicago .

I don't have a comment on everything another 1/2 bald ,1/2 grey headed old fart :fogey: is up to doing . (but I will listen) ..:D

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    As others have said, cops on the forum do post in those threads. What would you like them to say?

"That one-sided story about a traffic stop I read on an internet forum is appalling! I will report it to internal affairs immediately, despite the fact that no names were mentioned!"

Maybe all the cops should add a special symbol to their sig line so we know who they are, and can all jump in on them whenever a thread like that materializes? Ooh, and at INGO gatherings, they can wear the same symbol, but on an arm patch!
    Ok, I`m beginning to see that I should never have started this thread. What I was expecting an officer to say was what our legal right was when being stopped. There are rogue cops here as well as any other city/state, and I thought we would get some good honest advice. Forget that huh?

remman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    The thing is, when a LEO stops an individual and it plays out how we all believe it should, they do not open a thread to talk about it.

I make a motion that we change this. I want to start hearing about GOOD encounters with those that enforce the law. These guys put their lives on the line on a daily basis to protect the average citizen. No, they can't humanly respond to every single crime. No, they can't make it to your break-in immediately to detain the bad guy. But how many times does the thug at the kwik-e-mart pull a gun on a cop trying to stop him and we don't hear about it? I'm not going to say that every officer is perfect. But I refuse to say they're all out to ruin your day, either. Chances are, if they did ruin your day, you did something you shouldn't have been doing. And I don't blame them for not wanting to chime in on the cop bashing that goes on here. I say +1 to all the cops on INGO and all the rest of them that do their jobs every day without any positive recognition whatsoever! :patriot:

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I want INGO members to wear a small orange dot on their hats or lapels so I can talk to them at gun shows ..:D

(purple-- unless it turns out to be a good idea! )

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    To the good Police officers on this board, I give my many thanks to you. I understand you come in contact with NOT very good people, on a daily basis. I would just like a little protection form the Police Officers who are NOT so good.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I think LEOs on this board got tired of being bashed for sharing their insider views of these topics while the members who tell the tales of impropriety and rights violations are believed wholesale by virtually all of the posters in a given thread without question.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Ok, I`m beginning to see that I should never have started this thread. What I was expecting an officer to say was what our legal right was when being stopped. There are rogue cops here as well as any other city/state, and I thought we would get some good honest advice. Forget that huh?
    A little searching around the board will answer the question about rights pertaining to carry and traffic stops. The Indiana Code will pretty well spell it out and I'm sure it's been quoted many times in many threads.

I'm starting to think that common sense and pleasant discussion is antithetical to your idea of what the rest of us are about.

And I'm beginning to think you need reading comprehension training.

There ARE LEO's who comment on this board. Most of the interaction I've noticed has led me to believe that they have better than average intelligence and a modicum of common sense. They have to in order to get through the day dealing with IDIOTS who believe that it's somebody elses fault that they don't understand or want to abide by the law of the land.
    THIS place is not part of their job. Don't hack on them for not solving a problem that YOU have. That isn't their job unless a crime has been committed that involves you. Even then they're supposed to just find the troublemaker. Not string him up on the nearest oak.:dunno:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Sometimes they DO comment. Sometimes they don't. Frankly, with the amount of cop-hating on INGO, I'm surprised any of them comment at all.

:rolleyes:
    That's everwhere.....should sit on some the bike/harley rags I hang on,Hahaha........Mods usually shut'em down , wether it's 1%'rs bash'n cops,or cops bash"n 1%'ers....usually don't go far....

:cool:

(oh....and it's a thankless job,I sure's h*ll could'n do it,and keep any sanity,anyways....)

Top Bottom