• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    nervous:rolleyes: A hostile guy with a gun is coming toward you, I think he was more than just nervous:twocents:

Somewhere in the story he said the cop made him nervous.
    Before the cameraman denied living there, he was asked 2 questions from the cop.

"Can I help you sir?"

and...

"Do you live here?"

The cop was still sitting in his car sounding very courteous at this point. There was no hostile man with a gun coming towards him.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Before the cameraman denied living there, he was asked 2 questions from the cop.

"Can I help you sir?"

and...

"Do you live here?"

The cop was still sitting in his car sounding very courteous at this point. There was no hostile man with a gun coming towards him.

So what prompted the cop with a green light to assault the citizen doing nothing illegal?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Question.

If you were this filmers spouse, and witnessed this entire episode... would you be within your legal rights to take defensive action? Fatal defensive action?

Are you ever within your legal rights to open fire on a LEO, first?

There was thread a couple of years ago that asked a question similar, about shooting at a cop in public. It was highly scrutinized. I think this video is fairly close to showing that sometimes you are justified. I would not have intervened in this particular situation, but damn, it would have sucked to be their!
    The courts have ruled that you are justified in using lethal force to protect yourself from unlawful arrest. That would likely apply to someone protecting you from unlawful arrest, as well. The key to the whole thing is surviving the initial encounter and arrest and having lots of money to fight the prosecutor and the thin blue line gang. The judges will be on their side, too.

Your Right of Defense Against Unlawful Arrest

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The courts have ruled that you are justified in using lethal force to protect yourself from unlawful arrest. That would likely apply to someone protecting you from unlawful arrest, as well. The key to the whole thing is surviving the initial encounter and arrest and having lots of money to fight the prosecutor and the thin blue line gang. The judges will be on their side, too.

Your Right of Defense Against Unlawful Arrest

But not ALL the judges, apparently.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Whether he lived there or not was completely irrelevant at the time.

Could have been a friend's or relative's house.

There would still have been no justification for a beat down from a simple "nope".

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

There would still have been no justification for a beat down from a simple "nope".
    And for the record...I wasn't asking the question in an attepmt to find justification. I just don't see the reason not to answer truthfully.

I do, however, find myself wondering if the events would have played out differently had he said, "yes".

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    And for the record...I wasn't asking the question in an attepmt to find justification. I just don't see the reason not to answer truthfully.

I do, however, find myself wondering if the events would have played out differently had he said, "yes".

I know. I personally prefer to not answer or ask my own question rather than lie.

No idea if it would have played out differently. I think the officer just knew he'd screwed up and was trying to use that as an excuse after the fact.

Imagine after the officer said, "you should have told me you lived here" if the guy had responded, "but I'm just spending the weekend here at my parents' place."

oopsy.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I'm wondering if someone can find an example of where a citizen legally defended themselves against a LEO in a scenario such as this one (or where justified)...

:popcorn:

What makes you citizens think that you have the right to resist the will of the State?

Come on, rambone! If any one can find an example, it's you. (See above) :):

I read mrjarrells response, but I was curious to find a specific example.

Maybe I'm chasing a fairy tale. :D

Right, the way I understand it, a police officer can not arrest you or detain you for "trespassing" unless there was a complaint from the property owner. Just because you don't live there, or own the property, does not mean that you can't be there.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    maybe since all the cops pulled up in front of another house the guy thought the cop was asking if he lived at that other residence? it would be an understandable mistake. the fact is though that the guy didnt even have to answer the cop at all. he could have remained silent. then what? he-man still gonna hand out a beating? probly. I hope that cop goes to jail in regular population. he is a disgrace to other cops. and anyone who defends his actions shouldn't be a cop either

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I don't recall calling anyone a dumbass. Or agreeing anyone was a dumbass. If you read my response to machinegun's statement...you'll see I specifically edited the "dumbass" part out. My thoughts on his intelligence level has no bearing on the thread.

My only question in this entire thread I believe was I wondered why he said he didn't live there.

But I will openly state...that if the po-po ask *me* if I live there and I do...my response is..."yep".

Yes I was wrong and read more into your post than was there.

I still don't see what is wrong with blowing the POPO crap when they can blow you crap legally..

Where is the level of fairness when it comes to that?

Seem to me from the vid the cop started the whole thing and what would be more revealing is: Why is the cop asking him in the first place?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Yes I was wrong and read more into your post that was there.

I still don't see what is wrong with blowing the POPO crap when they can blow you crap legally..

Where is the level of fairness when it comes to that?

Seem to me from the vid the cop started the whole thing and what would be more revealing is: Why is the cop asking him in the first place?

why would you wanna blow crap to a cop? remember: clubs and battons will break your bones, but words will only butt hurt them and make them hit harder. i dont think its a good idea to **** off a cop by stirring it up. you wont win on the street. fight it in court. you probly wont win there either the way the system is designed, but at least you wont be in prison with broken bones.

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The POPO union will.

Hello,

I believe that sometimes unions have a place (more in other countries than here) but they should be limited. In my mind a Union shouldn't HAVE to do something that is wrong. Clearly in this case this gentleman is wrong, and shouldn't be protected. However the way most union bylaws work is everyone is due the same protection/representation and in my mind it's the biggest downfall of unions. I used to work for a Union and there were a few things I liked but none of it will ever make up for the people the kept employed that were just downright horrible.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Top Bottom