Please help me pick out a .22 rifle: thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana
    For a less expensive 22, either the Ruger 10/22 auto or the Henry 22 lever action are good choices.

However, I would recommend spending the extra and going with an Anschutz 54 sporter! It can drive nails easily at 50 yds

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I have a little Remington 504 bolt gun with a Leupold rifleman 3x9 on it that has been the most accurate little .22 I have owned to date. we have shot squirrels walnuts and little green dime store Army men with it at varying ranges and it never disappoints. Its a relatively inexpensive setup and a real tack driver. Its lightweight and easy to carry around the woods all day. A brick of ammo will last throughout the day with the kids blasting various.
    May not be great for the Zombie hoards but the best little Bolt 22 for the money.

acetylcholine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Bolt: CZ-452, though i haven't researched that enough to be certain.

Semi Auto: Ruger 10/22. I got one a few months ago, and i've used it for Friday Night Steel shooting as well as Appleseeds, and just all around plinking at the range. I got a tactical stock for it, a holographic red dot, extended mags, a scope and rings, and still have the factory wood stock, so its like having about 4 or 5 different guns for different uses. I love it!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Inexpensive, last forever and very accurate with any ammo - Marlin 60

Great semi-auto that you can spend more money customizing than if you just bought a Boeing 737 - Ruger 10/22

For more money, but out of this world coolness, a GSG-5

For old world greatness, made in the USA by true craftsmen, the Henry .22 any version. Their lever .22s are second to none.
    That pretty much sums it up. Oh, check out this kit for the 10/22 receiver...1022FunGun.com | Home of the 10/22 Fun Gun! - 1022FunGun.com

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I know you was asking about a lever or bolt .22, but thought I'd chime in about the Savage 64 FVXP, heavy target bbl with scope pkg. I bought mine from Bradis for 209.00

It's a great rifle with that is very accurate, I've only shot Winchester HV High Velocity (1360fps) through it.

Way cheaper than the Ruger target bbl models and both my father in law (Rem 597) and best friend (Ruger 10/22) now wish they would have gotten the Savage 64FVXP for it's price and accuracy. (side note, it does not come with the accu-trigger that some ads says it does.)

picture.php

BlackJack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Mid North Indiana
    I am a little late to the thread but I will put in my two cents worth. I do not think you can go wrong with a 10/22 but I really like my Henry H001 lever action. Main reason it shoots .22 shorts. Good luck with pick. A lot of choices out there.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    10/22 is probably the most versatile, but I certainly will never give up my CZ 452.
    For the money, I havn't found a better value anywhere! You can find some reeeeaaaalllly nice wood if you shop around a bit, provided that sort of thing interests you. . .

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I vote for pump or lever action 22's for fun shooting.

You can't find a more fun gun to shoot than a pump or a lever. I have two pumps, a Rossi and a Henry and one Henry carbine lever. The Rossi is 25 years old and out of production but you can find them on Gunbroker; the Henry's are new and available. Worth a look see.

Henry_H003R_c.jpg

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    You can never go wrong with a 10/22. You can change it so much when you get bored with it. I have a Urbach suppressed one and it is my absolute fav gun.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    CZ has a new 452 full stock that's pretty cool. Iam abig fan of CZECHNOLOGY. However I think back, the guy nextdoor buys a new 4x4 and has all the fun dress'in her up. Translates: 10/22. HEY, how did that 17HMR cz full stock get in my gunsafe?

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Last year on black friday I bought a mossberg 702 plinkster for 99.00 It is an alright gun. I'm not too terribly impressed (it gets dirty pretty quickly and fte often when dirty) but for 99 I don't think it was a bad deal. And I still have it. Take it for whats its worth. Also, I will mirror 90% of the posts on this thread and say I wish I got a 10/22

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    If you are looking to buy a new gun, check out gander mountain and dicks sporting goods ads for black friday this year. That is where I got my 702.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you're hunting for something a little different, how about a Browning Lever -22? BL-22 is the common terminology. They can shoot S, L, and LR no problem.

The SLICKEST and SHORTEST throw of any lever action rifle on the market. Something like a 33 degree throw.

And, for being tube fed, they are quite accurate, too. Come with a grooved receiver that can accept scope rings. Could also be drilled-tapped for a rail should you desire.

One thing they're not, however, is cheap. Used ones are routinely up around $400 for one in very good condition.

-J-

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    If you are looking to buy a new gun, check out gander mountain and dicks sporting goods ads for black friday this year. That is where I got my 702.
    Eyeballed a marlin 980s and 60, both were stainless with carbon fiber stocks. They both are very lite. I think I'll get one for my nascar buddy and put BRIGHT #48 decal on the stock. So if you ever see a guy hunting with a headset talking to himself, he is just listening to Chad Kanauss telling him how to shoot it!

Top Bottom