Please help me pick out a .22 rifle: thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatters

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Columbia City
    Henry if it's a levergun, Remington 597 for an inexpensive, accurate out of the box semi, and CZ 452 Trainer if you want an extremely accurate bolt gun. I have owned Savage .22s. Great guns as well.

That said.... I have a few other .22 rifles. I love them all!

Remington Nylon 66, Charles Daly Superior II, 10/22.

The big thing with .22s is the ammo they like. The Charles Daly (top) likes American Eagle. The CZ 452 (below with Mueller APV) likes XPerts. My 597 likes Remington GB & Yellowjackets. My 10/22 like GB. My old Sears rifle likes Wolf MT.
    CZ452CharlesDalySuperiorII.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Savage Mk II with Accutrigger.

You can also get aftermarket stocks for these, resembling the current sniper rifle designs.

No need to spend for the thumbhole stock, though I did.

Josh <><

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Thanks again for all of the feedback! I really appreciate people chiming in and sending along some tips of some models I have not heard of before. I need to spend some time searching out some of the options mentioned to get more info.

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    mossberg makes a pretty nice 22 lr and they come in all camo to, they are 150-200 bucks and very reliable, i have the mossberg 22 and 17 hmr and got a little over 300 in both of them, have you thought about a 17 in my opinion they are more fun and mine is insanely accurate

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I have the factory scope on my Marlin 925R. I can shoot the cap off of a 20 ounce bottle, from 50 yards. Can not really tell a difference between it and the Busnell on my Savage.

Maybe there is no difference between your Busnell (is it a chinese knockoff of a Bushnell? You might want to look into that) and the factory scope on your Marlin.

Some people can see a difference between a $50 scope and a $300 scope. I like the $300 scope.

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I have no doubt that the scope is likely not the best. However, I am not sure I am even going to scope this rifle (I hadn't planned on it until I saw the option with the scope from the factory).

I think there is something nice about open sights on a .22

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Maybe there is no difference between your Busnell (is it a chinese knockoff of a Bushnell? You might want to look into that) and the factory scope on your Marlin.

Some people can see a difference between a $50 scope and a $300 scope. I like the $300 scope.

No it's not a chinese knockoff of a Bushnell. It's a very nice scope, very clear with a 6" eye relief. You do not have to spend big money to get a quality product. My :twocents:

ihunt

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Fort Wayne area
    Find one that feels good in the hands and points easy. I have a CZ that feels like it was made for me. Also have a few others, but none have that same feel. Good luck!

Top Bottom