Playing Hero: Where do you draw the line.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    He is armed with a knife, is already repeatedly stabbing her, leaving himself wide open for a shot, and I am armed with a firearm...That's obviously entirely different, and in a situation such as that, who wouldn't act if armed? But standing in line at the quickymart, and someone is demanding cash, I am not getting involved...

Armed or not, family or not, I am all over that guy. Thats just me. She could have murdered his children, or she could be your Mom or Wife. If you hesitate she is dead.

JLB768

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    Some people are willing to take risks for strangers, I am not. I'm not putting you down for wanting to get involved. I'm just saying, I am not willing to risk losing everything I own, or my freedom, if some hotshot prosecutor decides I was wrong somehow, and wants to make an example out of me...for a stranger. You shoot someone, justifiable, or not, its gonna be expensive. You will need a lawyer, they don't work for free...

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    He is armed with a knife, is already repeatedly stabbing her, leaving himself wide open for a shot, and I am armed with a firearm...That's obviously entirely different, and in a situation such as that, who wouldn't act if armed? But standing in line at the quickymart, and someone is demanding cash, I am not getting involved.../
    So which is it? These two posts conflict each other.

Some people are willing to take risks for strangers, I am not. I'm not putting you down for wanting to get involved. I'm just saying, I am not willing to risk losing everything I own, or my freedom, if some hotshot prosecutor decides I was wrong somehow, and wants to make an example out of me...for a stranger. You shoot someone, justifiable, or not, its gonna be expensive. You will need a lawyer, they don't work for free.../
    We are not going to have time for a philosophy discussion. I think it is going to be a basic Fight or Flight reaction. Then again I dont know I have never been in situation where I had to react.

Lets here from those who have. Are you reacting or thinking?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    He is armed with a knife, is already repeatedly stabbing her, leaving himself wide open for a shot, and I am armed with a firearm...That's obviously entirely different, and in a situation such as that, who wouldn't act if armed? But standing in line at the quickymart, and someone is demanding cash, I am not getting involved...

Some people are willing to take risks for strangers, I am not. I'm not putting you down for wanting to get involved. I'm just saying, I am not willing to risk losing everything I own, or my freedom, if some hotshot prosecutor decides I was wrong somehow, and wants to make an example out of me...for a stranger. You shoot someone, justifiable, or not, its gonna be expensive. You will need a lawyer, they don't work for free...

We are not going to have time for a philosophy discussion. I think it is going to be a basic Fight or Flight reaction. Then again I dont know I have never been in situation where I had to react. I train to react and intercede though.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

That is honest and well considered. Some of us have considered the same and come to the opposite conclution which is simply that if we could intercede and did not, then we would not be able to live with ourselves.

I.E. If someone is getting mugged in my store lot, I would call 911 and then go out to the lot to see what I could do to help. I have actually done this so it is not simple talk.

If my 4 year old is with me, and I would have to leave her unattended, I would NOT go out to the lot.

So for me the default is to help/act, but that is mitigated by the presence of my kids/family.

In the story of store robber, I would do my best to draw concealed (easy with pocket carry) but only draw down and fire if I felt I could do so without being seen.

JLB768

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    He is armed with a knife, is already repeatedly stabbing her, leaving himself wide open for a shot, and I am armed with a firearm...That's obviously entirely different, and in a situation such as that, who wouldn't act if armed? But standing in line at the quickymart, and someone is demanding cash, I am not getting involved.../

Some people are willing to take risks for strangers, I am not. I'm not putting you down for wanting to get involved. I'm just saying, I am not willing to risk losing everything I own, or my freedom, if some hotshot prosecutor decides I was wrong somehow, and wants to make an example out of me...for a stranger. You shoot someone, justifiable, or not, its gonna be expensive. You will need a lawyer, they don't work for free.../
    We are not going to have time for a philosophy discussion. I think it is going to be a basic Fight or Flight reaction. Then again I dont know I have never been in situation where I had to react.

I don't see how the posts conflict with each other. One post describes someone in the process of being stabbed to death, the other, no violence, just someone demanding cash. Two different animals all together...

JLB768

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    That is honest and well considered. Some of us have considered the same and come to the opposite conclution which is simply that if we could intercede and did not, then we would not be able to live with ourselves.

I.E. If someone is getting mugged in my store lot, I would call 911 and then go out to the lot to see what I could do to help. I have actually done this so it is not simple talk.

If my 4 year old is with me, and I would have to leave her unattended, I would NOT go out to the lot.

So for me the default is to help/act, but that is mitigated by the presence of my kids/family.

In the story of store robber, I would do my best to draw concealed (easy with pocket carry) but only draw down and fire if I felt I could do so without being seen.

Ok, let me say this, as honestly as I can...Under "most" circumstances, I would prefer to stand back, and remain out of the situation. In a situation where someone is "actively trying to kill someone", I would probably react to help stop it. But someone shouting gimme you money or I'll do this or that...I don't see myself risking it, a lot could go wrong. Again, I'm not condemning anyone for wanting to help. We can armchair these what if's till we're blue in the face, until we're thrust into a situation, we'll never really know what we are capable of.

Top Bottom