cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The debate rages on...

My grandfather (and many of his contemporaries) died in Indy roadsters built like tanks. My father survived several crashes which were much more violent in plastic race cars mad from carbon fiber composites.

The aging, tube and rag or riveted monocoque general aviation fleet is being replaced by sleeker, faster and more efficient plastic airplanes.

Body armor isn't armor plate, it's (gasp!) plastic (Kevlar).

To reject polymer technology in firearms construction is anyone's personal perogative; vote with your wallet by buying what you like best. Just respect others' opinions along the way.

This, now having been said, reminds me I'm lusting after a 1911... Coincidence?
    :popcorn:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    No matter how strong you believe polymers are you have to understand that a handgun with a steel slide and barrel riding on a polymer receiver is going to have a completely different recoil impulse compared to the same gun made completely from steel. Especially after you have shot most of the rounds in the magazine. As far as the analogy using modern race cars, I think the roll cages and the hardware used on the harnesses are still made from steel. As are the bolts and nuts used to attach the harness to the frame. I believe polymers have valid uses but there are many applications where there are better materials available. I think we have reached a stage where many designers are manufacturing and marketing products using unorthodox materials just because they can, not because their use actually results in a better design in terms of durability and performance. I have never bought the idea that a firearm is "better" simply because it's lighter can be mass produced at a lower manufacturing cost by injection molding. Especially when considering the prices and profit margin to the maker on most of these designs.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    PA110011.jpg

PA110010.jpg

:whistle:

-J-

Some people have poor taste in firearms.
    Im surprised you dont have a hi point in the group.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    No matter how strong you believe polymers are you have to understand that a handgun with a steel slide and barrel riding on a polymer receiver is going to have a completely different recoil impulse compared to the same gun made completely from steel. Especially after you have shot most of the rounds in the magazine. As far as the analogy using modern race cars, I think the roll cages and the hardware used on the harnesses are still made from steel. As are the bolts and nuts used to attach the harness to the frame. I believe polymers have valid uses but there are many applications where there are better materials available. I think we have reached a stage where many designers are manufacturing and marketing products using unorthodox materials just because they can, not because their use actually results in a better design in terms of durability and performance. I have never bought the idea that a firearm is "better" simply because it's lighter can be mass produced at a lower manufacturing cost by injection molding. Especially when considering the prices and profit margin to the maker on most of these designs.

I bet glock hasnt spent a dime on R&D. Probably one day they thought it would be fun to start a company mass producing a polymer frame gun.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Do you know what Glock produced before they got into firearms? I would imagine they spent some "R&D" calculating what their profit margin would be in the firearm business if they could take over the U.S. market after convincing customers that their guns were "better".

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If polymer usage were common 100 years ago, you can bet your bottom dollar that JMB would've taken advantage of them.

Just because it's new doesn't mean it's bad or somehow wrong.

And just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's bad or somehow wrong.

Do you rail against your physician for using modern instruments that contain polymers?

I mean, earlier instruments were only made of metals. That means that only the early instruments, and subsequent all-metal copies are to be used, right?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I never claimed that it's bad or somehow wrong because it's new. I never claimed that it's bad or somehow wrong because I don't like it. And all of your ridiculous analogies are getting old. I'll just give in and agree with you. Polymers are GREAT. I want to buy a car with an engine made completely of polymer. Crankshaft, pistons, camshaft, valves and heads. Because it must be better than steel, right? Let's make everything out of polymer.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom