• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    What's ugly? Face it gents, polymers are here till better technology arrives. What's not to like about lightweight, high capacity and reliability? If you want all steel, stick with the wheel guns, which are nice but not for every occasion or person.

My new wheel gun is made of plastic and metal:dunno:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Steel and wheel...that's all I gotta say (see avatar)! My steel wheel guns (Ruger's) just L.O.V.E. Hornady 158 grain JHP's!!! They tattoo nice deep holes right where you point 'em.

That being said, I do have a Ruger LCR in .38+P with an XS-Tritium front Night Sight on it. It too puts holes where it's pointed...quite accurately, I might add.

swat1971

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Martinsville
    I have carried a Glock 23 on duty for almost 10 years now, and am constantly impressed with the quality and 100 percent reliability they afford. I have seen many sidearms at ILEA from various manufacturers that had signifigant reliability issues. I'm not saying there aren't other quality handguns out there, but for police work and everyday defensive carry Glock rules.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    In my opinion there are no parts on a firearm that are not "important". Let me ask you this - are you willing to say that you prefer the recoil impulse of a polymer pistol over an all steel model of the same gun? What, in your opinion, is the greatest advantage of using polymer in a firearm? And incidentally, all of my sights ARE black steel and they DON'T have any white dots on them.

So, are all of your guns still patch, ball, and powder muzzle loaders?

Probably not...

I get it, now. Advances in cartridge technology are A-OK, but advances in firearms manufacturing techniques and materials are verboten.

Just want to be sure that I'm on the same page.

And, for the record, I much prefer to shoot my M&P9c over the Springfield EMP I once owned.

-J-

spyshot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Winchester/Union City
    In my opinion there are no parts on a firearm that are not "important". Let me ask you this - are you willing to say that you prefer the recoil impulse of a polymer pistol over an all steel model of the same gun? What, in your opinion, is the greatest advantage of using polymer in a firearm? And incidentally, all of my sights ARE black steel and they DON'T have any white dots on them.

sorry to butt in, but now you're talking about shooting preference of polymer vs steel and not "does polymer belong in a firearm".

i myself enjoy shooting my steel/alum guns a little more than my polymers, but you can never argue with someone over that point. to each his own.

on the other hand i never hesitate to carry my m&p9c. maybe i'm gullible and i bought in to all the "torture testing" that these companies say they put their guns go through before production.

but let me ask this, assuming they do go through all the testing that glock and all the others claim they do, what makes you think that polymer parts are not durable enough to be used in a firearm?

adam

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Indy Guy, would you buy a full set of hand tools from Snapon if they were all made from plastic? Would you trust your life to an aircraft engine made from polymer? Plastics have many wonderful uses. But some applications will always be better served by chrome moly steel and aluminum alloys.

Actually they are composite. And now parts of aircraft engines are being made of ceramic composite along with automobiles. Although I still love the feel of a 1911:):

hodgej1843

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    SOUTH SIDE INDY
    PA110011.jpg

PA110010.jpg

:whistle:

give ya 300.00 for the whole lot

right2arms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Bakelite... on guns before ploymer composite was cool.

Ya those never crack ;)

Likewise there are probably issues with polymer guns that we don't even know about yet, like heat/sun sensitivity or durability. I don't see a fighting military adopting them as sidearms any time soon.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ya those never crack ;)

Likewise there are probably issues with polymer guns that we don't even know about yet, like heat/sun sensitivity or durability. I don't see a fighting military adopting them as sidearms any time soon.

Ever looked into what many European military forces are issued?

Hint: They're made in Austria.

Hint: Not Steyr

Top Bottom