• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • $mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    35% of the monies. Not 35% of the actual services. "Service" is defined for their purpose as the reason for the visit. Sure, only 3% of the visits are for abortions (bet that doesn't include the pre-abortion visits for counseling and other state-mandated actions though), but the income generated from that 3% is 35% of the total.

But aren't private citizens paying for that service on their own with no gov't funding?

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Exactly this. Why is it any of my business what another family chooses to do? Yes public funding goes to support something I don't agree with, but this is hardly the only time this happened. They built a highway close to my house without my approval, does this mean I need to go out and try to get the road departments funding pulled?

Part of being a citizen of ANY country is paying for crap you don't believe in... why is this being treated any differently than everything else?

Because it's a gigantic social issue. We have plenty of one issue voters, about all manner of issues. For some it's gun rights. For some it's health care. For some it's abortion. One issue voting makes no sense to me. Say I'm vehemently opposed to a new child's toy called widgets, and find them inherently dangerous, and provide data to back it up. Now, it's cool if The rest of Rome burns, just so long as we regulate or outlaw widgets?

:n00b:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Because it's a gigantic social issue. We have plenty of one issue voters, about all manner of issues. For some it's gun rights. For some it's health care. For some it's abortion. One issue voting makes no sense to me. Say I'm vehemently opposed to a new child's toy called widgets, and find them inherently dangerous, and provide data to back it up. Now, it's cool if The rest of Rome burns, just so long as we regulate or outlaw widgets?

:n00b:

Just makes me want to say "Come on America, your better than this"

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Strange, law abiding citizens had to wait 5 days to purchase a handgun eventhough that infringes on their 2A rights. However, a prego woman can get an abortion without any provocation, just go in and get one. How backwards is our society now? :dunno:

The worst part is she can do it with out the fathers consent! Why would the father not have some say in this situation?!
    Also, I believe a minor can get an abortion without consent or even notification to her parents. That's just wrong!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    You guys are over complicating this. The government now realizes they can't afford the outlets they have there funds going into. Since PP is a place to debate.... funding gone. Next will be another "hot topic", and so on. I believe we will see more and more of this. Wait until it hit the military, Public service, everyone but DOD and elected positions.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    When you say "hits the military.....everyone except DoD....", I'm not sure I understand you. Do you mean the military budget as a whole, or simply the remunerations and benefits available to soldiers in general, whilst keeping pencil pushers buried in borrowed treasure? Because if they cut the military in general, they are cutting DoD.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This is misleading. If we're going to say their "monies," we need to specify how they come across that revenue. Abortions count for, roughly, 35% of "Health Center Income," which doesn't include government grants, contributions and bequests, and other revenue.

Based on the information you provided in a previous post, abortions count for about 13% of the organization's total revenue.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/AR08_vFinal.pdf
    DATA: 36.7% of Planned Parenthood’s 2008 “Health Center Income” is from Abortions

And I'm not exactly clear on how they come about this abortion revenue. Since no federal program covers abortions, does that revenue come from people who walk in off the street and hand over $450 of their own money for the procedure?

But aren't private citizens paying for that service on their own with no gov't funding?

That's the issue... The State of Indiana doesn't want to give money to an orginization that provides abortions! They get funding from the State, from donations, and from "patients".

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    When you say "hits the military.....everyone except DoD....", I'm not sure I understand you. Do you mean the military budget as a whole, or simply the remunerations and benefits available to soldiers in general, whilst keeping pencil pushers buried in borrowed treasure? Because if they cut the military in general, they are cutting DoD.

Let me explain a bit better, and I'm not an all knowing, its just a gander. We all know that making funding decisions like PP is a very political move, therefor it makes sense to see big step around election years. However as money get very tight things that government crunchers see as "unnecessary" will start to disappear also, things that are apolitical. DOD has unlimited funding, but military benefits (enlistment bonus are already gone) Parks and Rec's. I don't see military funding as a whole disappearing, just perks and pleasures, especially once we pull out of the desert. But its not just military, it would be many public programs big brother funds.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This is misleading. If we're going to say their "monies," we need to specify how they come across that revenue. Abortions count for, roughly, 35% of "Health Center Income," which doesn't include government grants, contributions and bequests, and other revenue.

Based on the information you provided in a previous post, abortions count for about 13% of the organization's total revenue.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/AR08_vFinal.pdf
    DATA: 36.7% of Planned Parenthood’s 2008 “Health Center Income” is from Abortions

And I'm not exactly clear on how they come about this abortion revenue. Since no federal program covers abortions, does that revenue come from people who walk in off the street and hand over $450 of their own money for the procedure?

It's not misleading if you recognize that it doesn't really matter who foots the bill. PP receives 35% of its income for the abortion services it provides.

It's laughable to say that federal funding doesn't pay for the abortions. If you performed 3 different services and had income from 6 different streams, unless you specifically create and operate separate accounts based on income source and cost, all 6 income streams pay for, directly or indirectly, the 3 different services you provide.

I'm betting PP doesn't operate with such ironclad separation.

The other way to look at this is "cost." It "costs" X dollars to perform and abortion. X/10 dollars for an office visit. X/2 dollars for an STD screening.

There are 100 abortions, 1000 office visits, and 500 STD screenings.

Therefore, PP received 100X dollars for abortions, 100X dollars for office visits, and 250X dollars for STD screenings.

While this math doesn't work out exactly like the PP numbers, you can see how it doesn't really matter WHERE the money came from. 100X of came from the performance of abortions.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Cost of abortion < cost of paying to raise a child on govt assistance

Of course that is not always the case but probably more often than not.

I reject the premise that government assistance is a legitimate cost. I do not buy into your false dilemma.* ;)

* 'Course, I know my perfect world and reality are two different things.

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    I need to know something about this ongoing battle with Planned Parenthood.
    If the problem regarding funding is only related to abortions. Why don't they just stop abortions. Then I don't think anyone would have a problem with tax dollars going to them.

One other thing: Do we have a say in where our tax dollars are spent? If so, i would have a few other programs I would like to see unfunded.

There was a day when Society and the law held you accountable. In that day it was safe for children to play in the streets—or grow in a womb.

Top Bottom