• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    I need to know something about this ongoing battle with Planned Parenthood.
    If the problem regarding funding is only related to abortions. Why don't they just stop abortions. Then I don't think anyone would have a problem with tax dollars going to them.

One other thing: Do we have a say in where our tax dollars are spent? If so, i would have a few other programs I would like to see unfunded.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    It is my understanding that abortions are a major source of funding for PP.

We have a say in where our tax dollars are spent, but only so far as the elections of your representatives. After they are elected, they can pretty much do what they want because incumbents are invulnerable.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    If the problem regarding funding is only related to abortions. Why don't they just stop abortions. Then I don't think anyone would have a problem with tax dollars going to them.

One other thing: Do we have a say in where our tax dollars are spent? If so, i would have a few other programs I would like to see unfunded.

Abortions are a big part of what they do.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    All they'd have to do to get funding back with current elected representatives is stop practicing abortion.

However, they are choosing this practice over all the other health services they could be providing.

Their decision shows what their main objectives are.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    More than 35% of their income is from abortion services. If you were/are a business owner, would you willingly toss out a full third of your revenue?

copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    I might give up 35% of tax funding before I gave up 100%.

side note; I really don't have any idea how many abortions there are in a year...I'm kind of surprised that it's 35% of the tax funding.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    More than 35% of their income is from abortion services. If you were/are a business owner, would you willingly toss out a full third of your revenue?

It is my understanding that abortions are a major source of funding for PP.

Abortions are a big part of what they do.

Sources, anyone?

Here, I'll provide something:
    Federal law already bars the use of federal funds for abortion services. There is no federal abortion funding to cut.

What's at stake is not "abortion funding." Abortion services are not covered by Medicaid or any other federal program. The Hyde amendment settled that issue more than 30 years ago.

The truth is that the rider regarding Planned Parenthood would bar Planned Parenthood from being paid by Medicaid and other federal programs for providing women with birth control, cancer screenings, HIV testing, and testing and treatment for other STIs.

More than 90 percent of the health care Planned Parenthood provides is preventive.
    Planned Parenthood: Budget Fight About Us, Not Abortion Funding : It's All Politics : NPR

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    some of us use a brain for it's intended purpose.

I sense a disturbance in the force, as if someone said something so
    obvious that only 45% of the population, and 33% of the voting
    population could understand it.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Where are you guys getting your 35% numbers? Their main site states 3% of all health services provided are abortion services. Not saying you are wrong, just not able to find that figure anywhere.

Their main objectives are not to abort as many babies as they can...come on guys. I know most on here don't agree with abortion, but that doesn't mean that all of the help they provide is centered around it. They aren't doing abortions instead of other heath services...they are providing health services and a small percentage of those include abortions. That doesn't mean you have to like the place or support them but we don't need to slander their overall goals. There are plenty of factual reasons to not like PP...there is no reason to make up new ones.

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Why can't people be RESPONSIBLE:dunno: I know that if my DNA was to fall on the ground & a woman would walk over my DNA, the fumes of my DNA would leave her pregnant, that is why I'm careful & have only one son:D

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I sense a disturbance in the force, as if someone said something so
    obvious that only 45% of the population, and 33% of the voting
    population could understand it.

Actually I very much support planned parenthood, but I also support defunding it. You can believe in something and also support fiscal responsibility. I donate money to them, and I support their fundraising efforts, I just don't support state-funding. It's obvious on our small INGO population that many (likely a majority) of Hoosiers do not support PP so their tax dollars should not go to support the organization. Simple as that. If you take the emotion out of it, it makes sense.

That said, I would like to see other organizations get defunded that people support...although it won't happen because they aren't hot-button social issues. Wouldn't it be nice to see across-the-board fiscal responsibility without regard to the social issue stance?

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Strange, law abiding citizens had to wait 5 days to purchase a handgun eventhough that infringes on their 2A rights. However, a prego woman can get an abortion without any provocation, just go in and get one. How backwards is our society now? :dunno:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Actually I very much support planned parenthood, but I also support defunding it. You can believe in something and also support fiscal responsibility. I donate money to them, and I support their fundraising efforts, I just don't support state-funding. It's obvious on our small INGO population that many (likely a majority) of Hoosiers do not support PP so their tax dollars should not go to support the organization. Simple as that. If you take the emotion out of it, it makes sense.

That said, I would like to see other organizations get defunded that people support...although it won't happen because they aren't hot-button social issues. Wouldn't it be nice to see across-the-board fiscal responsibility without regard to the social issue stance?

This. Planned Parenthood is way more than an "abortion clinic". I abhor the term in and of itself, as insofar as I know, there is no medical office which offers only abortion procedures. I don't support abortions themselves as I would never want a child of mine aborted, but frankly, It's none of my business whether another set of parents-to-be decide they don't have the financial resources to support a child. Naturally I'd prefer to see them exercise a little personal responsibility and take steps to insure the pregnancy doesn't happen, but no form of currently available market contraceptive is 100% effective. That said, my only point of issue with Planned Parenthood is their public funding. The same can be said for a myriad of other publicly funded programs as well though.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN

:+1:I can agree with your last paragraph, Hooray sensibility!

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Where are you guys getting your 35% numbers? Their main site states 3% of all health services provided are abortion services. Not saying you are wrong, just not able to find that figure anywhere.

Disclaimer: I do not have any facts to support what I am writing here!

I would imagine that PP is being truthful when they say that less than 3% of services provided are abortions - however - I am wondering if every condom they hand out is considered a service. If every time they hand out birth control, that is considered a service.

They don't say anything on their website about what percent of their income comes from abortions.

Edit: I didn't read the above article before I posted this.

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

35% of the monies. Not 35% of the actual services. "Service" is defined for their purpose as the reason for the visit. Sure, only 3% of the visits are for abortions (bet that doesn't include the pre-abortion visits for counseling and other state-mandated actions though), but the income generated from that 3% is 35% of the total.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Naturally I'd prefer to see them exercise a little personal responsibility and take steps to insure the pregnancy doesn't happen, but no form of currently available market contraceptive is 100% effective. That said, my only point of issue with Planned Parenthood is their public funding. The same can be said for a myriad of other publicly funded programs as well though.

Exactly this. Why is it any of my business what another family chooses to do? Yes public funding goes to support something I don't agree with, but this is hardly the only time this happened. They built a highway close to my house without my approval, does this mean I need to go out and try to get the road departments funding pulled?

Part of being a citizen of ANY country is paying for crap you don't believe in... why is this being treated any differently than everything else?

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    35% of the monies. Not 35% of the actual services.

This is misleading. If we're going to say their "monies," we need to specify how they come across that revenue. Abortions count for, roughly, 35% of "Health Center Income," which doesn't include government grants, contributions and bequests, and other revenue.

Based on the information you provided in a previous post, abortions count for about 13% of the organization's total revenue.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/AR08_vFinal.pdf
    DATA: 36.7% of Planned Parenthood’s 2008 “Health Center Income” is from Abortions

And I'm not exactly clear on how they come about this abortion revenue. Since no federal program covers abortions, does that revenue come from people who walk in off the street and hand over $450 of their own money for the procedure?

Top Bottom