• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, figured this would happen eventually...

Go in to buy 5 boxes of 00 buckshot to finish filling my one of my last ammo cans of 12 gauge for storage. Get to the counter, the lady ringing me out says, sorry, can't sell you all this, only two. Two? No sign, nothing. Not one to cause a riot, I turn to Bob and ask, "Two?" He responds with "we don't know when we are going to get more in" and so on. Funny thing is, I just bought a few boxes at Meijers, every week for the past 3 years, without issues of supply, even in these dark days.

I put all 5 boxes back on the shelf, go to Walmart across the street and pick up the same shells there.

I like Bob, I like the store. It's his business, his place, his rules. I have made him a few bucks by referral (and working at a range, I refer ALOT of people). I've made him alot of money by buying there alot (and no, I didn't buy that very expensive Remington sniper rifle in the store for a couple grand or the Barrett he has occasionally, but spent some serious coin there). I understand supporting local business. But I question this new policy. But again, his rules, his place. But on the other hand, my money, my business, I will take it elsewhere. :twocents:

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I never could understand.. is someone elses money going to be better spent than yours? to me it's first come first serve in every store.
    if I beat them to the deal and my money is as green as theirs.. why not let me get what i want?! :dunno:
    who knowss.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Is that at "Karate Guns Tanning" on Main Street? It's not all in one store, but I love that sign.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I can see both sides of it I guess. Bob is a great guy and always tries to be fair to everyone. I suppose he's wanting to ensure that everyone gets some ammo instead of a few getting it all. I went to my local Wallyworld on Keystone today for something and thought I'd pick up a box of my favorite 22LR, Federal AutoMatch. Well it appears some freaking inconsiderate bastard went in and bought ALL the 22 LR ammo except for a few 50rd boxes. There was plenty of 9mm. 40, 223 etc but ALL the 22 was gone. Cmon guys, really?

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    -1 to PSS

I called PSS specificially to ask about an item. The lady taking the call had some difficulties working the multiple lines on the Phone System. I had a hard time getting my question asked to her as she fumbled around. She told me I had better talk fast or she was going to hang up on me, as she was busy. Well, guess what, I was busy too. I have a full time job that earns money to spend on the items that they sell. I am sorry I inconvenienced her. I will not call or stop by again. My $0.02 rant.

Thanks for Listening...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I can see both sides of it I guess. Bob is a great guy and always tries to be fair to everyone. I suppose he's wanting to ensure that everyone gets some ammo instead of a few getting it all. I went to my local Wallyworld on Keystone today for something and thought I'd pick up a box of my favorite 22LR, Federal AutoMatch. Well it appears some freaking inconsiderate bastard went in and bought ALL the 22 LR ammo except for a few 50rd boxes. There was plenty of 9mm. 40, 223 etc but ALL the 22 was gone. Cmon guys, really?

I get it, believe me. I understand what he is trying to do/say. But, that ammo has been there forever. Never had a supply issue, despite the insanity right now. Every other store has had ample quantities of it available. I don't have to get it, but this, coupled with the decline in the customer service I have recieved in that store over the past few months, I am not going back in. I have other avenues I will pursue for my purchases. Pure business now. He won't supply, I won't demand (at least from him).

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I admire Bob and his stance. I think he trying to ensure everyone gets a shot at the available ammo.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I get it, believe me. I understand what he is trying to do/say. But, that ammo has been there forever. Never had a supply issue, despite the insanity right now. Every other store has had ample quantities of it available. I don't have to get it, but this, coupled with the decline in the customer service I have recieved in that store over the past few months, I am not going back in. I have other avenues I will pursue for my purchases. Pure business now. He won't supply, I won't demand (at least from him).

Yeah, 12ga and 22 shouldn't really be an issue right now but evidently I'm missing something. Glad you at least got what you needed. :yesway:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    BTW. Bob has also had to bring in additional employees due to the insanity buying and last couple of times I was in the store it was overflowing and the crowd had everyone running around like mad so you may not have gotten the most polite treatment. Lots of places are beginning to ration certain items because they believe it's the fair thing to do for the hobbyist vs. the speculator. I like PSS and the folks that work there, they are always nice to me even when I am just looking.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to say that my experience with Bob and the staff has been good. He has worked with me on many purchases and gives the best trade value I have found.
    I called around for a few weeks looking for a Springfield RO. Called 2 weeks ago On Saturday as all this panic was just getting underway. They had one. I asked them to hold it and they did. I had trouble getting in the door for the people. Needed a black belt to get through.
    They had the gun set back and I was dealt with quickly and got to fight my way out the door.
    I understand both sides and we all have the right to spend our time and money as we see fit. I deal with some shops that others will not use. Perspective.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    OP: I appreciate your calm, sane presentation of your issue with a business owner that you obviously know.

For comparison, Profire doesn't limit their quantities. If you want every one pound jug of Varget they have on display and you have the money, he will sell it all to you. Thank you very much.

I admire Bob and his stance. I think he trying to ensure everyone gets a shot at the available ammo.

Effective retailing would be putting up a sign up that says there is a limit. Waiting to annoy the customer at the register is just being lazy and obviously the quickest way to lose customers.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I'm sure I heard him tell someone that a couple of weeks ago on a Saturday, two box limit. I see both sides but personally prefer the "you snooze you lose" mentality. Seems that too many people refuse to take responsibility for their situation. If you don't have ammo or an AR because you didn't buy before the insanity hit, and now you have decided you really NEED one, whose problem is it?.. This is just one example of the "it's not my fault so you should feel sorry for me" mentality that is destroying our country. :twocents:
    I feel A LOT better now:rockwoot:Hope everyone has a happy New Year
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Last edited:

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    I like Bob's shop, his prices are always great and you won't get a better deal for your trade anywhere. I know its a business, and ya got to make a profit, but I've never been lowballed on a trade at PSS. Can't say the same for some other shops. Especially on used guns, I've gotten some awesome trade deals!

I don't care about his ammo policy. I rarely buy ammo at guns shops anyway. It's always cheaper at Walmart or online.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I was in there today and appreciated the fact that he actually had just about every caliber of ammo available. Sure he could sell all of it right now to a couple customers or ration it and have some for all his customers. Bob's a smart guy and knows what's going on right now in the gun business. He's just trying to do his part to slow down the hysteria I think which is good for all of us. :twocents:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I like Bob's shop, his prices are always great and you won't get a better deal for your trade anywhere. I know its a business, and ya got to make a profit, but I've never been lowballed on a trade at PSS. Can't say the same for some other shops. Especially on used guns, I've gotten some awesome trade deals!

I don't care about his ammo policy. I rarely buy ammo at guns shops anyway. It's always cheaper at Walmart or online.

I don't think your comment is relative to the point the OP was trying to make, which was "even though I can go to Walmart & buy the same ammo cheaper, I tried to support my LGS, and now they are making that effort difficult".

But that's just me.

Hoarders create the problem. You can't really blame the GS for wanting to keep some ammo for others. If you feel the need to hoard, reload. :rockwoot:

Oh, come on. You're calling 5 boxes hoarding? 17 jugs of Varget in one purchase - now THAT'S hoarding...

Last edited:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    This is a two sided coin and I'm not sure fairness equates into it. It's good business sense. A person walks in and buys a new gun, next thing they typically want is AMMO for that gun. If Bob doesn't have that ammunition then that customer may not be completely satisfied with his service and he could lose sales and future customers. On the other hand guy walk in, picks up 1000 rds of .223/5.56 and walks to the counter and is told "2 box limit" he's not going to be happy either, BUT that guy knows what's going on right now and should not reasonably be upset with that decision. On the other other hand, it was shotgun shells, not 5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm, 40s&w or .45acp. I think that blanket hold up might have gotten the best of them on that one with all the newerish employees to cover the madness going on it's probably pretty difficult to make exceptions to a rule and expect others to enforce them blindly.

That being said, to date I have only bought my guns from PSS (except Glocks because I can get Blue Label) because everywhere I've gone, 1500 included, Bob is the Bad *** that has the best prices around and he sings to my wife and she likes him too. (Though my wife just told me she knows someone down at BGF, so we might head down there and talk to them about a man with a dog. And while I've never purchased a firearm from Bradis I do go there occasionally for some of my other needs and the dude there offered to let me beat him up if he forgot to do something for me and that was pretty cool, he remembered......which kept me from getting shot in a self defense claim I'm sure.)

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I would not consider 5 boxes of 5 shot packages of shells hoarding, grubbing or similar. But, on the other hand, I can see how that may be the case in some people's minds. Simply put: My money, my choice. Not going to give Bob any more of my money. His service to my declined in the past few months and will not spend any more of my money there as he doesn't want my money anymore (will admit, it's hard to hear that statement when people are surrounding the shop, money in hand). He won't miss my business with the panic.

Top Bottom