• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Not everyone supports panic buying and the fear mongering that has taken place since 2008. I applaud Bob for trying to do something about it and take care all his customers not just a select few that want to take advantage of the situation.

Could Bob have managed it better? Perhaps, signs for everyone to see as soon as they come into the store announcing the limit would have been a good idea. And although I dont consider 5 box's of shotgun shells hoarding, I dont know how many he had in stock or how hard it is for him to resupply. Also the two box limit on all ammo keeps him from having to justify limits on just select calibers.

Just another reason for me to keep patronizing Plainfield Shooting Supplies.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I kind of disagree, first my son and I do reload - 35+ calibers, we do have a stock of powder (probably 60 - 70 lbs between us) bullets (several thousand), primers (around 20-25 thousand) and dies, lubri-sizer, molds for almost all handgun calibers, a good supply of lead and an excellent Hornady lock and load progressive with all the extras. However some calibers are at this time not economical to reload. These include 7.62 x 39, and 7.62 X 54R, 8 mm Mauser, 30-06, .303 British, and at times .308. When surplus ammo is available for $.30 - $.40 a round, I can't justify paying $.45 a round for components. I do buy in bulk - and always have tried to buy at least 1K at a time. Been doing this for about 20 years - yeah I have a large supply due to all the calibers we use. Maybe I am hording, if so tough, I have purchased bulk ammo when it wasn't popular, and will continue to do so. The shortage is not limited to loaded ammo, I have been trying to buy 62 grain .223 bullets for about a month - long before the shooting. I was in contact with a dealer that said he would have it in stock by the first of the year, bought 1k 150gr .308 - was calling back to buy the .223's don't know if they will be available now.

I bought them all. :cool: If I go to buy a gun and the shop does not have ammo for it, I do not buy the gun. Opinions vary. :twocents:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If he is not gouging and has no limits on amount purchased, what is to stop another shop that IS gouging from buying up all his ammo, and putting it on there shelves, eliminating him as competition? As for being told to call back? If the shop is buzzing with people you come second. This sucks, but having worked retail, in store customers come first. They are there waiting in line, you are going to have to wait until they are all helped, or try calling back later.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    If he is not gouging and has no limits on amount purchased, what is to stop another shop that IS gouging from buying up all his ammo, and putting it on there shelves, eliminating him as competition? As for being told to call back? If the shop is buzzing with people you come second. This sucks, but having worked retail, in store customers come first. They are there waiting in line, you are going to have to wait until they are all helped, or try calling back later.

He is not responsible for other shops, he is concerned with his own integrity.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have no problem with that policy. I am all for trying to stop people from buying a store out and then selling it for a profit or hoarding it. Just spread the ammo to all his customers.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    +1 to

PSS... My family's favorite gun store... Bob and his family and staff are tops in the business.. He always treats us great and is just plain good people.. I understand his stance currently on the ammo purchases... Stuff is hard to come by right now!!!

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    +1 to BOB at PSS

We were there last sat and bought a glock 17. We have an ammo can full of the calibers we shoot. As we checked out I saw 2 boxes of winchester 223, I asked bob's wife, who was checking us out, how much she stated there was a 2 box limit. I asked why, she said they didn't want to gouge people, and people were buying it all up and selling it on ebay. I wasn't offended, I applaud them for not gouging and will continue to shop there

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I went in on Tuesday after the Newtown shooting. Wanted to get a new CCW and was really looking for a .45ACP. Bob had a used Kahr CW45 for $340. Without me even asking, Bob gave me $300 out the door. In the middle of the panic buying craziness with extra employees and tons of customers Bob recognized a repeat (almost exclusive) customer and gave me a reason to come back. He had no AR's left and his normal stock was way low but he never gouged his customers and looked out for them instead of getting for himself when he could.

So he is again thinking of his customers by limiting his ammo purchasers to two boxes. Making sure everyone gets some instead of some getting all and screwing over the majority of us. Cry me a river.

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    It's funny how people on here think that because you're busy it's OK to be an ass to customers. No wonder Customer Service sucks almost everywhere in this country. There are a few who don't follow this logic though...thank god!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    We were there last sat and bought a glock 17. We have an ammo can full of the calibers we shoot. As we checked out I saw 2 boxes of winchester 223, I asked bob's wife, who was checking us out, how much she stated there was a 2 box limit. I asked why, she said they didn't want to gouge people, and people were buying it all up and selling it on ebay. I wasn't offended, I applaud them for not gouging and will continue to shop there
    Someone may be doing as she say - but not on EBAY - they do not allow ammunition or guns sold there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's funny how people on here think that because you're busy it's OK to be an ass to customers. No wonder Customer Service sucks almost everywhere in this country. There are a few who don't follow this logic though...thank god!

HHhhmmmm.
    Being an A$$ is never OK.
    Being overwhelmed tends to bring out the A$$ in almost everybody myself included. Would you hold up under those conditions and keep a cheery smile going while telling all to have a sparkly day.......I seriously doubt it.

I have been in that store a hundred times and never seen any A$$ like treatment of a customer. I have seen staff move along to the next person so they could be taken care of and continue with their day.

No knock on your opinion if I read it properly.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    It's funny how people on here think that because you're busy it's OK to be an a** to customers. No wonder Customer Service sucks almost everywhere in this country. There are a few who don't follow this logic though...thank god!

Let's see...

It's amazing how people can be an a** to hard working citizens that have customers IN store spending money when they are just calling in on the phone AND are NOT customers (that's right, because you were a customer yesterday doesn't make you one today, the person standing in front of them has priority, their employee did not lie or deceive the caller they simply stated a fact. The perception that they were being rude is soley up to the discretion of the listener and their ability/inability to deal with what they were hearing), knowing full well the climate of the gun industry, and are only going to ask a couple questions and believe they are entitled to some special treatment.

+1 PSS for being honest and for saying flatly their stance. The End.

(I am not specifying anyone as being an a** only that some are.)

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just read this entire thread. Never been to Plainfield and do not know Bob. Do not know the OP either.

My conclusions:

1. If you do not like the service, go somewhere else. Your time, your dime.
    2. If it is just a matter of not getting special service, above and beyond what others get, keep quiet about it. Contrary to what mommy said, you are not special. You get the same treatment as the others. So get in line and stop complaining.
    3. If the shop is dishonest, discourteous, unethical, post it. Just the facts will do. Others can make up their own mind.
    4. His shop, his rules. If you do not like it, see #1 above.

I buy ammo wherever I can get the best price on a good product. I buy at Walmart, Meijer, Freedom, Tomlinsons, local gun shows—whoever has a good price on the caliber I need at the time I need it. It's just business. Most of my ammo comes from Walmart, though.

I have purchased weapons at Midwest (Mishawaka), Sniperco & Dick's (Ft. Wayne), and Tomlinsons (Churubusco). I also purchased from INGOers and online. I go where I can get a good deal on a good product. Again, it's just business.

I do not purchase at Dick's or Gander Mountain unless I find a really good price. It's business.

It's my money and I intend to get as much for it as I can, given the limitations I have at the moment. Sometimes I get good service; sometimes I don't. I do not have time for the butt hurt blues.

Cheat me, price gouge me, lie to me, and I will not be back. :twocents:

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Is it just me or is ammo always scarce this time of year? Don't worry there's 40k lbs sitting in Indy right now waiting to go out for delivery to various locations on Wednesday.

As far as a two box policy goes there shop there rules. I have always had good dealings with PSS. However, I got tired of dealing with the cigarette smoke and haven't been in there for several years.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I'll still buy there. My favorite place by far. If you need a gun, you need ammo. Buying both allows one to walk out with protection. Nice concept. Sorry, but if you are this late to the game, you have to expect some inconvenience.
    I was checking online ammo sites. They were out of most everything including 38 special.
    I would have to really neeeed ammo before I'd go to Wal-mart.
    Bob's an honorable guy. If you want to steer customers away because of this, then maybe you want to examine your heart. At least explain to these new shooters why you choose not to go there. Either way, he has a strong and loyal customer base. Probably making more every day

^^^^^^^
    DITTO :yesway:

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I will continue to shop PSS. I've had mixed experiences at most of the LGS(s) around Indy. Bad day, busy, whatever, it happens. I don't take it personally.

Regarding the OPs concern regarding the 2 box limit. I can see both sides. Glad he got what he needed, but I don't know that I would take a stand to not shop there any longer. To each his own.

Top Bottom