1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    You have absolutely NO legal obligation to protect me, nor does any other court official or police officer. I find it hard to believe that you are unaware of the multiple court ruling enforcing this very thing.

Your assertion that law abiding people won't be in the courtroom environment in the first place is likewise incorrect. My step-father, for example, is in courthouses nearly every day, researching deeds, property lines, and whatever else it is he needs to do for his job. If I want to sell my trailer, I'll need to go to the courthouse to pay any taxes due, and/or get the documentation saying that has been done. If a couple neighbors are in small claims court over who should pay the bill for the window broken by one of their little angels, they are still law abiding citizens recklessly being placed in danger by anti-gun policies.

Maybe I should have been more specific and said most law abiding citizens won't end up in a criminal courtroom, which is where I work. Obviously people go to court for many other reasons. And any court ruling aside, I do have a legal obligation to protect you both in and out of my court. Then again, maybe not a legal, but I definitely have a moral/ethical obligation. To me, that comes with wearing the badge and taking the oath. I disagree that you are recklessly being placed in danger by anti-gun policies if you have to show up at small claims court. That is ridiculous. Come stand in my shoes in a criminal court for a while. IMO, courts are relatively safe because of the no carry rules for the general public. Guess you just have to stand in my shoes for a while to see it from my perspective. Not saying others are wrong though. Anyway, all I wanted was to hear other thoughts and opinions about a Judge carrying on the job. Thanks everyone.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Not to nitpick but I'm pretty sure its the County Commissioner's that created all those ordinances back in the mid nineties. I know that some of them also have a judicial order making bringing a gun in the courthouse an offense punsihable as comtempt of court though.

Actually, I think most, if not all, were by the local judicial conferences on order of the presiding judges.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    When you're a sworn judge with all the education, responsibilities and sacrifices it took to get there - you can carry in a courtroom too.

Judges get firearms training?

For a juror, appearing in a courtroom is often a sacrifice, one enforced at the barrel of a gun.

There should be no special classes of citizen, regardless of education or job.

"All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others."
    - George Orwell - "Animal Farm"

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Maybe I should have been more specific and said most law abiding citizens won't end up in a criminal courtroom, which is where I work. Obviously people go to court for many other reasons. And any court ruling aside, I do have a legal obligation to protect you both in and out of my court. Then again, maybe not a legal, but I definitely have a moral/ethical obligation. To me, that comes with wearing the badge and taking the oath. I disagree that you are recklessly being placed in danger by anti-gun policies if you have to show up at small claims court. That is ridiculous. Come stand in my shoes in a criminal court for a while. IMO, courts are relatively safe because of the no carry rules for the general public. Guess you just have to stand in my shoes for a while to see it from my perspective. Not saying others are wrong though. Anyway, all I wanted was to hear other thoughts and opinions about a Judge carrying on the job. Thanks everyone.

What percentage of the jury in your courtroom are convicts? If the above statement is true, it must be pretty small.

Remind me to stay out of that county if the jury pool is so limited :n00b:

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    It's basically a guilty plea court. No jury at all. Defendant comes in (or is brought in orange), signs a guilty plea, gets his/her diversion requirements (groups, community service, counseling)and leaves with a schedule of when to come back. Yes, at least this Judge did go thru a county course for firearms training. Or so he says. Not sure what all that would entail for him.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Actually, I think most, if not all, were by the local judicial conferences on order of the presiding judges.

Dunno. The ones I have actually read were ordinances, but I've maybe actually read three or four so that's not a representative sample. I would like to see them all as there do seem to be some differences from county to county.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

So, a whack job starts shooting... I'm forced to count on you to protect my family. But, you won't be, will you? You will be protecting the judge.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

It's great that you are committed, but how do you decide who to protect? What happens when one guy needs to leave and go out to his car and another one needs to stay for the next hearing? Who gets the armed guard and who is on their own? If more than one person starts shooting who will you protect? If you hear shots fired on another floor do you leave your courtroom to go help the people there or do you stay and guard the door? That's why I would be happier handling my own security.

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    It's great that you are committed, but how do you decide who to protect? What happens when one guy needs to leave and go out to his car and another one needs to stay for the next hearing? Who gets the armed guard and who is on their own? If more than one person starts shooting who will you protect? If you hear shots fired on another floor do you leave your courtroom to go help the people there or do you stay and guard the door? That's why I would be happier handling my own security.

So, a whack job starts shooting... I'm forced to count on you to protect my family. But, you won't be, will you? You will be protecting the judge.

I would be protecting whoever needs it and a no carry policy for civilians in the courtroom would prevent the whackjob from having a firearm there in the first place wouldn't it?

Eddie, I can't answer that question. Hopefully I will never have to make that decision. If that time comes, all I can do is rely on the training I have as an officer and hopefully be able to do the right thing for not only me, but those around me.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I would be protecting whoever needs it and a no carry policy for civilians in the courtroom would prevent the whackjob from having a firearm there in the first place wouldn't it?

Eddie, I can't answer that question. Hopefully I will never have to make that decision. If that time comes, all I can do is rely on the training I have as an officer and hopefully be able to do the right thing for not only me, but those around me.

No, the no carry policy prevents the law abiding citizen from carrying. The whackjob doesn't care about the policy because he is a whackjob. See why this starts to really suck in the places with no armed security? Somebody puts a red sticker on the door to the courthouse that says no guns. Does that sticker make the guns magically disappear? Nope, the sticker creates a penalty (and risk of losing a professional license) for the law abiding citizen. To the abusive ex-husband coming to kill his ex-wife who works in the Clerk's office the sticker creates a gun free zone where he is safe to prey on others.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip.

Do you really want me to go down the EXTENSIVE list of incidents that has put the lie to that type of thinking? Is it really necessary for me to list the body count that the anti-gun, anti-American, un-Constitutional policies you advocate has led to? Anti-gunners have a lot of blood on their hands, and frankly it's sickening to see you repeating their crap.

Frankly, I have no reason to trust people who despise a free and armed citizenry. In or out of the court room. People who advocate disarming free citizens are, without fail, tyrants to be guarded against, not trusted with my family's life.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    There are plenty of ways for a civilian to introduce/obtain a weapon into a courtroom...at least here in Porter County. That's all that should be said in an open forum. I understand the reasoning behind barring civilians from introducing a firearm into a courtroom...but I'm inclined to feel safer if I am responsible for my safety. Having a "No Firearms" policy has been proven time and time again to be of little deterrent to those who intend harm. That's my respectful opinion.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Actually, I think most, if not all, were by the local judicial conferences on order of the presiding judges

County Commissioners here.

Someone drives a truck bomb into the courthouse in August of 1998, no reaction, carry your guns we don't care.

However, two years later the Circuit Court judge issues an order and the county council has a cow.:rolleyes::D

http://www.tippecanoe.in.gov/egov/docs/1104873318_169281.pdf

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    No, the no carry policy prevents the law abiding citizen from carrying. The whackjob doesn't care about the policy because he is a whackjob. See why this starts to really suck in the places with no armed security? Somebody puts a red sticker on the door to the courthouse that says no guns. Does that sticker make the guns magically disappear? Nope, the sticker creates a penalty (and risk of losing a professional license) for the law abiding citizen. To the abusive ex-husband coming to kill his ex-wife who works in the Clerk's office the sticker creates a gun free zone where he is safe to prey on others.

Sorry. Guess I just disagree. With all of the security we have here (metal detectors, officers at every door etc) no way the ex gets in with a firearm. Of course guns don't just disappear. I am talking about in the building/courtroom. Not outside. I agree that places without armed security suck and we should be able to decide our own security there. I guess I just don't consider it a penalty if there are places I can't carry my weapon. Granted there are not many for me but.. I had to walk back to my car the other day at the MEPS building (Fort Harrison) because they would not allow me in with a firearm to see an enlistment ceremony. They did not have a lock box at the door with security so i went back and locked it in my trunk. I didn't feel any less safe with out it. Kind of naked, but no less safe. Thanks for the responses.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Sorry. Guess I just disagree. With all of the security we have here (metal detectors, officers at every door etc) no way the ex gets in with a firearm. Of course guns don't just disappear. I am talking about in the building/courtroom. Not outside. I agree that places without armed security suck and we should be able to decide our own security there. I guess I just don't consider it a penalty if there are places I can't carry my weapon. Granted there are not many for me but.. I had to walk back to my car the other day at the MEPS building (Fort Harrison) because they would not allow me in with a firearm to see an enlistment ceremony. They did not have a lock box at the door with security so i went back and locked it in my trunk. I didn't feel any less safe with out it. Kind of naked, but no less safe. Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for your point of view. :ingo:

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Do you really want me to go down the EXTENSIVE list of incidents that has put the lie to that type of thinking? Is it really necessary for me to list the body count that the anti-gun, anti-American, un-Constitutional policies you advocate has led to? Anti-gunners have a lot of blood on their hands, and frankly it's sickening to see you repeating their crap.

Frankly, I have no reason to trust people who despise a free and armed citizenry. In or out of the court room. People who advocate disarming free citizens are, without fail, tyrants to be guarded against, not trusted with my family's life.

Please explain how I am anti-American, anti-gun and un-Constitutional. I don't advocate anything of that nature. Out of all of my faults, being un-American or un-Constitutional is defintely not one of them. I signed my name on the line 20 years ago and wrote a blank check to Uncle Sam to protect your sorry butt and defend your freedom, which I did for 20 some odd years. Just becasue I am not for allowing firearms in a courtroom, don't you dare lump me in as a liberal, anti-American anti-gunner. Don't trust me. I don't care. I will still priotect you when you need it and can't do it for yourself.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With all of the security we have here (metal detectors, officers at every door etc) no way the ex gets in with a firearm

No, he kills her just outside the courthouse, like in Texas.

Of course guns don't just disappear.

Sure do, especially if police property.:D Look how many guns the cops lose, especially in courthouse bathrooms.

One of the uniformed bailiffs here showed me how to walk a gun through a metal detector (on his Sam Browne no less). It's a good parlor trick and good to see demonstrated so people understand that security does not come from Security.:D

Top Bottom