• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But this is NOT the way humans think. By their very nature mankind is a greedy, envious creature that would rather destory his own kind if he can not have it his/her way then allow his/her own kind (ie. other humans) to prosper.

As the TERMINATOR said in T2.
    It's in your nature to destroy yourself.

I know, and that's sort of my point. I don't want to thread-jack and get off on a tangent, but I'd like to see gun owners become cohesive and work together to restore gun rights to everyone, regardless of who they are, and even if it's only one class of person (like judges) at a time. I understand the concept of taking away the judge's rights in order to incentivize him to work for OUR rights, I just don't agree with it. I think it's ultimately self-destructive.

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Forgot to mention we also usually have 1-2 courtline deputies (obviously carrying) in court everyday. They bring prisoners in who have hearings. Prisoners are usually shackled. Should the deputies be exempt from the "no firearms in court" idea? This Judge is a sworn in judicial officer so I believe he has many of the same rights as a deputy or other officer to carry a firearm. Being in court everyday, I completely agree with him carrying if he wants to. Deputies, other officers, myself, none of us are told to leave our firearms out of the courtroom. That being said, I don't agree that every public citizen should be allowed to carry in a courtroom. Courtrooms are high stress places. People get angry. Not everyone controls their emotions when angry. When emotions get out of hand, people do stupid things. My opinion: not everyone should be allowed to carry in court but those in an official working capacity for said court should be allowed.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Oh, goodie. So now, we have people advocating disarming citizens in an environment where it is known that criminals may become violent, and forcing those citizens to depend on those who have no obligation to protect them.

So much for America. Like Rosie O'Donnel, there are those who think guns are ok for them, but despise their fellow Americans and deem them unfit to be trusted with guns.

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Oh, goodie. So now, we have people advocating disarming citizens in an environment where it is known that criminals may become violent, and forcing those citizens to depend on those who have no obligation to protect them.

So much for America. Like Rosie O'Donnel, there are those who think guns are ok for them, but despise their fellow Americans and deem them unfit to be trusted with guns.

Agreed. :popcorn:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    isnt the bailiff even unarmed during court.

At least in misdemeanor court in Evansville the bailiffs holster is always empty

It just depends on where you are at. Greene, Vigo and the Federal Courts around here have metal detectors and armed security. Sullivan small claims has an armed bailiff but he's only there during small claims court. Montgomery has a couple of armed personel. Clay, Owen, Fountain, Parke, Vermillion and Warren have none that I can see. Surprisingly, in Illinois, Edgar, Clark and Vermilion counties all have armed security.

I have personally witnessed a judge sentence a criminal to time in jail and then ask them to go sit out in the hallway until a deputy was available to take them to jail. I've also been involved in one courtroom free for all when a woman's family literally "charged the bench" and the lone deputy who happened to be there for a traffic ticket case couldn't stop all of them at once.

The no guns rule only keeps the guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    If you are a legal, law abiding citizen, chances are you are not going to be in that environment in the first place. Absolutely I am for advocating that your everyday John Q not be allowed to carry a firearm in the courtroom and leave it up to those who have been sworn to SERVE and PROTECT you while you are in that environment. I have an obligation to protect everyone that comes in my court. I seem to remember taking an oath to do so.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    If you are a legal, law abiding citizen, chances are you are not going to be in that environment in the first place. Absolutely I am for advocating that your everyday John Q not be allowed to carry a firearm in the courtroom and leave it up to those who have been sworn to SERVE and PROTECT you while you are in that environment. I have an obligation to protect everyone that comes in my court. I seem to remember taking an oath to do so.

Law abiding citizens get divorces, record deeds, file small claims, file tax exemptions, get name changes, adopt children, see the veterans affairs officer, go to the extension agent, see the building inspector, pick up a permit to build a garage, look at county survey maps, attend council and commissioners meetings, go before the zoning board and do all kinds of stuff that requires entering the courthouse. Maybe in the big cities there is enough security and metal detectors and such but not in the rural areas. Heck, at home we are lucky to have two sheriff's deputies on duty at the same time.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

You have absolutely NO legal obligation to protect me, nor does any other court official or police officer. I find it hard to believe that you are unaware of the multiple court ruling enforcing this very thing.

Your assertion that law abiding people won't be in the courtroom environment in the first place is likewise incorrect. My step-father, for example, is in courthouses nearly every day, researching deeds, property lines, and whatever else it is he needs to do for his job. If I want to sell my trailer, I'll need to go to the courthouse to pay any taxes due, and/or get the documentation saying that has been done. If a couple neighbors are in small claims court over who should pay the bill for the window broken by one of their little angels, they are still law abiding citizens recklessly being placed in danger by anti-gun policies.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm a law abiding citizen, never been arrested, never even close to being arrested, never had the cops called on me, and I've only been pulled over once in my life, and that was 27 years ago, and you bet your ass I've been dragged to court 8 times in the last 5 years by a bitter ex-wife. Granted, I've got to sit and watch a judge belittle her in front of the whole court room a few times, which was fun, but why should I have to drive to another town unarmed? I choose to go unarmed rather than leave my gun in my car and have some scummy criminal get ahold of it. I would find it laughable if it weren't for the fact that I'm sitting in a hallway crammed full of people who HAVE committed some sort of crime. I don't like the idea of having to depend on a stranger to defend ME if SHTF, not at all, no matter where I may be, because I know my capabilities, and by looking at some of the goobers at the court house, who, by the way are allowed by the king to be armed, I seriously question theirs.:twocents:

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    This is just the same kind of :poop: that caused people to hop on boats and give the country they were born in the finger.

The problem is that we're out of continents to explore and start over with. I don't fault the judge for carrying in the court room. People are nuts. This, however, is the same reason I carry... only, I can't carry in a courtroom because I'm not specialized. Specialization is for insects, my friends.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Pretty much, I agree with the general sentiment.

Unless you're convicted, in jail, or otherwise denied the right to carry in public... you should be allowed to carry anywhere. You are not a criminal until proven otherwise, so why should you be treated like one?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Unless you're convicted, in jail, or otherwise denied the right to carry in public... you should be allowed to carry anywhere. You are not a criminal until proven otherwise, so why should you be treated like one?
    It's really a pretty good plan if you think about it. The gov criminalizes, or over regulates EVERYTHING, including our constitutional rights, thus making all of us lowly peasants subject to penalty at any given time. (usually, but not always, a monetary penalty).
    It's a handy thing to have at your disposal if there is a budget crunch or some other social crisis.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    It's really a pretty good plan if you think about it. The gov criminalizes, or over regulates EVERYTHING, including our constitutional rights, thus making all of us lowly peasants subject to penalty at any given time. (usually, but not always, a monetary penalty).
    It's a handy thing to have at your disposal if there is a budget crunch or some other social crisis.

That and because the government is attempting to criminalize every citizen. Remember it is easier to control a criminalized citizen than a free citizen.

INGunGuy

Top Bottom