• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Some of you know that I am a resource coordinator/officer for Marion County Superior Court. We recently went thru a flip flop of Judges at MCSC and my court was appointed an new presiding Judge. I won't mention his name here, even though I don't think he would mind after a few discussions with him. My point is that my new boss carries a S&W Airweight all of the time even while sitting on the bench. Personally, I think this is great. It is awesome to have a boss who is a firearms proponent and actually "walks the walk". He is pro PO and Deputy and is really great to work for. I have heard of a couple other Judges who carry, but this is the first time I have seen it up close. Just wondering what others think about this. Thought and opinions? :rockwoot::draw:

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    if i were a judge, i would carry too. i would not be suprised a bit to learn that alot of judges, prosecutors and attorneys closet carry. it would only make sense to me, of course i'm a gun toting, red-neck, paranoid vigilanty. carrying a weapon only makes sense when you spend most of your time pissing people off, although justified. someone always leaves a courtroom unhappy, no matter what the circumstance.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    And what would happen to Joe Public if he tried to enter that courtroom carrying his legally owned handgun? Would he have it confiscated and be thrown in jail? No guns in courtrooms should mean just that.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I think that quite a few carry or have a firearm in their chambers but I only know of one for sure. I think it is unfair to others whose job forces them to use the courtroom that all courthouses now seem to have a no guns policy.

Has anyone done a comprehensive list of the different courthouses and what their rules are? I know that most say "No weapons of any kind" but Parke County says "No weapons in the courtroom" and Owen County says "No Firearms or explosive Devices".

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    And what would happen to Joe Public if he tried to enter that courtroom carrying his legally owned handgun? Would he have it confiscated and be thrown in jail? No guns in courtrooms should mean just that.

agreed, but i still don't blame him. it would be nice to know this judges thoughts on carrying by the public in his courtroom. prehaps the OP can help us out?

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I know of at least two judges that carry every where. Officers of the court are exempt from permit requirements also.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

You've got it backwards. If he can carry, EVERYONE should be able to carry. Get rid of "no guns in courtrooms" altogether.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL

When you're a sworn judge with all the education, responsibilities and sacrifices it took to get there - you can carry in a courtroom too.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    When you're a sworn judge with all the education, responsibilities and sacrifices it took to get there - you can carry in a courtroom too.

Not to slam on judges, most, but not all, are fine people, but a judge is just a lawyer that won an election. I strongly dislike the local ordinances that prevent carry in the courthouse. I have to go there for my job; I should be allowed to carry.

Something to keep in mind: not all of the state is Marion County. Little rural courthouses in places like Newport, Sullivan, Brazil, Covington and Williamsport don't have metal detectors and rarely have armed security. there is just a rule that prevents a law abiding citizen from having their gun but does nothing to stop a criminal.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

So in essence he (the judge) is a better type of citizen (ie. higher class) than common joe of the street and thus deservers to have a "higher" level of avaliable protection for himself hu? :dunno:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    So in essence he (the judge) is a better type of citizen (ie. higher class) than common joe of the street and thus deservers to have a "higher" level of avaliable protection for himself hu? :dunno:

No, he is the citizen who was chosen by the people to sit in judgment. He has the power to set conduct rules in his courtroom through the contempt power vested in judicial office. He only has that power because the people gave it to him. If you want to carry in the courtroom, I suggest electing judges who will allow it.

Joe

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    No, he is the citizen who was chosen by the people to sit in judgment. He has the power to set conduct rules in his courtroom through the contempt power vested in judicial office. He only has that power because the people gave it to him. If you want to carry in the courtroom, I suggest electing judges who will allow it.

Joe

Not to nitpick but I'm pretty sure its the County Commissioner's that created all those ordinances back in the mid nineties. I know that some of them also have a judicial order making bringing a gun in the courthouse an offense punsihable as comtempt of court though.

I seriously would like to compile and read all of those different ordinances. Anyone know of a county that did not enact one?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I can live with that, but they're not going to allow it.

Yeah, I agree. It's just a nitpicky thing with me. Like in my subdivision, when someone gets dinged by the HOA for having a trailer parked in their driveway, the owner will complain "Well, how come THEY can have a BOAT?!" and then the HOA says "So, you say they have a boat, huh?..." So now BOTH homeowners are screwed. I'd rather see someone convince the judge to allow all carriers in his courtroom rather than try to take away the Rights of at least the one person that can legally carry in court.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah, I agree. It's just a nitpicky thing with me. Like in my subdivision, when someone gets dinged by the HOA for having a trailer parked in their driveway, the owner will complain "Well, how come THEY can have a BOAT?!" and then the HOA says "So, you say they have a boat, huh?..." So now BOTH homeowners are screwed. I'd rather see someone convince the judge to allow all carriers in his courtroom rather than try to take away the Rights of at least the one person that can legally carry in court.
    I see your side and even agree with it, but till the rules are changed the judge should remain disarmed just like the rest of us. He should rely on the vaunted skills of the "Only Ones" for his protection, too.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

But this is NOT the way humans think. By their very nature mankind is a greedy, envious creature that would rather destory his own kind if he can not have it his/her way then allow his/her own kind (ie. other humans) to prosper.

As the TERMINATOR said in T2.
    It's in your nature to destroy yourself.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    isnt the bailiff even unarmed during court.

At least in misdemeanor court in Evansville the bailiffs holster is always empty

Top Bottom