• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    In a thousand years I never thought I'd say it, but...

I'm thinking about buying a Hi Point. Their 9mm carbine to be precise. Only heard good things about them and they are dirt cheap. Also researched the Keltec Sub2000, but I hear it's impossible to find them ATM.

I know I can get a pistol caliber AR or a Beretta CX4 (again, availability issues) but I like the low prices of the Keltec and the Hi Point for what will basically be a toy and not HD or SHTF.

So who has one? What do you think? Are there options out there I don't know about so I can research them? I know Taurus is trying to enter this part of the market.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    In a thousand years I never thought I'd say it, but...

I'm thinking about buying a Hi Point. Their 9mm carbine to be precise. Only heard good things about them and they are dirt cheap. Also researched the Keltec Sub2000, but I hear it's impossible to find them ATM.

I know I can get a pistol caliber AR or a Beretta CX4 (again, availability issues) but I like the low prices of the Keltec and the Hi Point for what will basically be a toy and not HD or SHTF.

So who has one? What do you think? Are there options out there I don't know about so I can research them? I know Taurus is trying to enter this part of the market.

I don't own the HighPoint carbine, but my brother does. He has put 1000's of rounds through it without a problem. For the price, you can't beat it.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I had one of the HI Point carbines. No trouble at all with it, only reason I sold it was to fund another purchase. Get one youll like it.

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Thanks guys. A relative of mine has a Hi Point handgun that is a jam machine so I was surprised when I read all the rave reviews of the 995TS. Just needed the community support before I part ways with my *gasp* $300.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Thanks guys. A relative of mine has a Hi Point handgun that is a jam machine so I was surprised when I read all the rave reviews of the 995TS. Just needed the community support before I part ways with my *gasp* $300.

I would think you could find one for less than $300. Used ones can be had for around $200 usually.

elliotle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    I would think you could find one for less than $300. Used ones can be had for around $200 usually.

As cheap as they are I think I'd prefer new. Plus, I can always go to a certain gun store in Indy and sell it for like $400 since they probably sell them for $1000.

MasterGunsmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    sterling_33_general.jpg

Sterling Carbine 9mm
    500px-UziCarbineModA.jpg

UZI Carbine
    400px-HK_94A3.jpg

HK94/Clones (MP-5 wannabe's)
    pps43.jpg

PPS43 Carbine 7.62x25mm
    acf1365.jpg

Marlin Camp 9/or 45
    634775539426146640ufwijj1d.jpg

MAC10 Carbine 9mm/.45ACP
    f1m31.jpg

450px-CalicoM955A.jpg

Calico 9mm 100-round helical feed magazine
    tommy_gun.jpg

Thompson .45ACP (least we should forget)
    70e400e7c5d129d78eb73b0b4b30958f.jpg

Swede K/S&W76 Carbine 9mm
    dscn0278.jpg

Sten Carbine 9mm

Just a few Ideas of what is out there. I do not own a Hipoint, but I do own an UZI, MAC, and Keltec sub2000 and love them all, I have been eying the Sterling and PPS43 a lot lately, I think it is only a matter of time.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've had the Hi Point, then the Kel tec, and finally settled on the Marlin Camp 9.

All were great in their own respective ways, I just like the heft and feel of the wooden Marlin.

I do like the hi point, just needs a bigger magazine.

birdwing

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Lowell
    I had an older model Hi Point 995 that was a blast. The only problem I had was with the magazine release. It broke twice, but both times they sent the new parts with no questions asked. As someone already mentioned, the 10 round capacity is pretty lame and I've heard nothing but bad things about the 15 round mags you can buy for them, but it's hard to beat the price and warranty.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Your relative needs to send his jam machine back to the factory. They will make it right! I have had the 995 for a couple of years and it is a sweet little rifle! I also have the .45 handgun and aside from the fact the you can't conceal it in anything less than a briefcase, I like it a lot.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I had an older model Hi Point 995 that was a blast. The only problem I had was with the magazine release. It broke twice, but both times they sent the new parts with no questions asked. As someone already mentioned, the 10 round capacity is pretty lame and I've heard nothing but bad things about the 15 round mags you can buy for them, but it's hard to beat the price and warranty.
    There are some guys that tweek the pro mag 15 rounders enough to work decent, but the bottom line is they are not original equipment, they do not fit right, and if Hi Point cant prove you were using one they do reserve the right to void the warranty on your gun. Hi point states that using pro mag does void the warranty, but I have never known them not to fix a gun for somebody even when that somebody abuses it.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I've had the Hi Point, then the Kel tec, and finally settled on the Marlin Camp 9.

All were great in their own respective ways, I just like the heft and feel of the wooden Marlin.

I do like the hi point, just needs a bigger magazine.

I sold my Marlin to get a Just Right Carbine.

DHH_1422Pw.jpg

:D

Now, with Ergo grip and Magpul stock;

DHH_2352PW.jpg

:yesway:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I have the 995ts and LOVE IT. If i had to grab a second semi auto rife for back up that would probly be it. Its really accurate and i have NEVER had a problem with it. I know GoingGrayFast has one too because he turned me towards them in the first place. I also have 2 friends that have them and they will both tell you they are the funnest guns in their collections as well(one is the 4095ts the other is the 995ts). I got mine brand new and so did one of my friends but the other got his used (very lightly used). $300 is a fair price right now for them it seems because everyone is looking for a cheap, accurate and dependable gun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A Hi Point carbine, although functional, reliable and reasonably priced is like trying to court a cactus. The Marlin Camp 9, otoh, is like a smooth, yet firm gal.

Top Bottom