• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Just for some clarification, that article wasn't the reason I started this thread. I hadn't even heard about it until now. What got me thinking about this was a post in another subforum where someone mentioned Larry Vickers looking a little hefty for a Delta guy (or something to that effect).

But I do appreciate you sharing the pertinent links.

Are you blaming me?:):rockwoot::p

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I wonder if there are any trainers who would not accept a student in his class because of weight?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Just for some clarification, that article wasn't the reason I started this thread. I hadn't even heard about it until now. What got me thinking about this was a post in another subforum where someone mentioned Larry Vickers looking a little hefty for a Delta guy (or something to that effect).

But I do appreciate you sharing the pertinent links.

I'm surprised you hadn't heard about it, the gun blogs had been blowing the guy up over it.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I'm surprised you hadn't heard about it, the gun blogs had been blowing the guy up over it.

the problem on a lot of the gun boards is Larry Vickers at 300lbs could do more then most keyboard commandos ever could with their Noveske rifles and oober zombie killing ninja rolls.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Physical ability matters in a fight.

That's never been in question. Training isn't fighting, though, which is why I asked early in the thread "are we choosing a trainer or a tag team partner?"

Do you think this guy is going to win Gold at the Olympics on a gymnastic team?

ins_olympics1.jpg

Of course not. But women he trains can, and have. The mere fact he can't do the routines he teaches them to do is irrelevant.

Emanual Steward wasn't a better boxer than Evander Holyfield when he trained him. Emanual Steward wasn't in as good a shape as Evander Holyfield...yet Evander Holyfield trained under Emanual Steward and became a better boxer for it. As did Oscar De La Hoya and a slew of other boxers. All despite the fact Steward was a mediocre boxer himself and was well past middle age during many of his training sessions.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    True. Here is an example of why I am taking the class with who I am.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlsk81O4nM

Can you explain what this is an example of? I see someone who is kind of a comic, but he doesn't do anything in the video that shows he's a good teacher, e.g., having a sensible syllabus, having a talent for diagnosing problems, knowing how to train people, etc.

That's never been in question. Training isn't fighting, though, which is why I asked early in the thread "are we choosing a trainer or a tag team partner?"

I suspect that for some people, it's about becoming "tough" and they need to see an instructor who is tough to become tough themselves. For others, it's some sort of social code, though they wouldn't admit it. I just hope people realize the fact that being tough, fit, etc. doesn't mean you can teach worth a damn. One of the better fighters I've seen in Indiana just downright sucks as a teacher. He's irresponsible, arrogant, and childish. He actually teaches only 20% of the time. The rest of the time is students giving him emotional support. The first time I saw him I thought he was just going through a life crisis. The second time I saw him, I realized life is his crisis, and I have avoided him like the plague ever since. The guy is incredibly fit. I wouldn't want to fight him.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My answer would be:

Can you shoot better than I can? Then I have something to learn from you.

Even when people aren't as good as you, there maybe the opportunity to learn from them, or while helping them improve to your level.
    JMHO, just because I can shoot "better than you", doesn't really mean I can teach you anything.
    I was VERY dissappointed, when in the USMC, as they required "Marksmanship" Instructors, to be "expert" shots..... Just because I don't or "can't" shoot Expert, does not mean I cannot instruct..... I KNOW what to do, I just can't always do it .....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do not care what condition/gender someone is. If they have pertinent info to my improving then I will be attentive. If not, well, I won't.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ok I've only read the first three pages but...

1. You are picking an instructor, not a squad mate.
    2. Anyone who thinks they have nothing to learn from anyone at all is an idiot. Every person alive can teach you something, if only indirectly.
    3. Often people with physical limitations (and sorry big guys but being fat is a limitation) have learned to adapt and improvise. You can't put money on the value of the experience someone like that can share with you. What if you end up immobile for any number of reasons?
    4. "Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living..." -Han solo.
    5. If I'm having trouble understanding something an instructor should be able to demonstrate it. If he/she can, then there you go.
    6. There is no #6.
    7. Size does matter. If she tells you otherwise, she is after your money.

I digress. Time to end.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I wonder if there are any trainers who would not accept a student in his class because of weight?

We could probably find a few if we tried. Not sure if we could find any with whom someone would really want to train, though.

Top Bottom