Phrases, statements and other things that bug me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    "Drink the kool aid" is a reference to the 1978 "Jonestown Massacre" were Jim Jones convinced his cult to move to this private compound and eventually commit mass suicide by drinking grape flavored kool aid laced with potassium cyanide. The phrase is used when someone buys in to some marketing ploy or political banter or anything as if it is gospel without evidence or reason.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Sometimes I am willing to throw myself at the mercy of my fellow man and count on their goodwill, and the forebearance of reptiles. (I run pretty good for a big man as well)

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    WRONG WRONG WRONG. When I read the updated rules last week, it did not require a picture. Stop saying that-- it only reflects your opinion, not the actual rule. It doesn't mean the person it lazy, it means it's not necessary. You are going to take the time to meet a person to buy a gun, but won't take their word about what condition it is in? You are going to see it before you purchase anyway. What is irritating is the people who insist on pictures when the person has stated the model and condition of the gun. Ironically, the pictures semi-regularly actually make the gun look WORSE, and the picture taker has to explain about the glare, etc, and that the gun is in good condition. Boy, those pictures sure are helpful, aren't they Chef?

Not owning a camera doesn't mean you are lazy. Since it's not breaking a rule, please drop that argument. Further, I stand behind the statement that if I tell you I have a good condition Glock 23 and you ask for pictures, you aren't the kind of guy I want to deal with anyway. This isn't rocket science.

4. INGO strongly suggests you post pictures in your ads. If you are not going to provide pictures you must inform INGO members of this in your ad. Do not have members "email you for pictures" If you have the pictures you must post them or simply state you have no pictures. Not knowing how to post pictures is no excuse. Follow this link to learn more about posting pictures on INGO

If something is strongly suggested and written in RED it may not be an absolute requirement but its defiantly recommended and expected...

And yes as a matter of fact pictures are very helpful...

I was once told by a guy he had a good quality 1911 with a minor scratch for trade. I made a deal and then drove 45 miles one way to trade only to find when I got there it looked like a screwdriver had been taken to the slide with deep gouges an inch long scratched right threw the lettering. This cost me a wasted afternoon and a half tank of gas.

I am not attacking anyone personally for not owning a camera I have been without one from time to time but even then I had one on my cell phone. A good quality Cannon Powershot can be had on Ebay for about $35 that is what I paid for mine.

I am sorry you have taken such great offense to such a simple request, I am sure you know exactly what a Glock 23 looks like and what size and caliber that weapon is. It may come as a shock to you to learn not everyone on earth has a mental image of what a Glock 23 is. I have never owned or fired a Glock I know basically what their design is but without using Google I have no idea if a Glock 23 is a compact, a full sized weapon or what caliber it is.

I quite frequently browse this site on my PDA and switching to Google to look up a picture for a model of firearm I am not familiar with is extraneous. If you are serious about selling an item a picture is worth a thousand words, and requires minimal effort to post. As you so clearly stated it isn't rocket science, my 7 year old step daughter does it all the time she can even clean up that pesky glare and crop the photos before posting them when necessary...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I didn't take offense at a "simple request" I took offense over your assertion that not posting is due to laziness. Really, I am not offended, I just disagree with your original statements. Nothing personal. I am sorry it's hard to google pictures from your PDA, and I realize that many potential buyers wont know the details of a particular gun. It is incumbent on the seller to give good details, but IMO, that doesn't necessarily require pictures. While not everyone will know every gun, it isn't unreasonable to think that many of our viewers will be familiar with common models. It just seems that some members ask for pictures merely to mess with the OP, when pictures really aren't necessary. It sucks that you got screwed on a deal with a gun that looked bad, but my point is that the person taking the pictures has the ability to hide blemishes, so you are still counting on their honesty.

I think this issue has become much bigger than it deserves. It creates a bunch of unnecessary posts and has run off a few people who were harrassed for the lack of pictures. You might say that the solution is to require pictures- I would say the solution is to chill out about the stinking pictures.

Google, and then ask the seller "What is the condition of this gun? Are there any blemishes?" Problem solved. While you may not like it, I am not going to buy a camera simply to satisfy the desires of some INGO members. If I am selling something uncommon, I will find a way to borrow one. Until then, a description and my integrity will have to sell the gun.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    People asking about "round count".

I just find it ridiculous to think people sit around counting how many times they fire a gun. They'll be all about how they practice 3 times a day and buy their amo in cases of ten thousand and then when they go to sell a gun they'll come up with some line about "less than 200 rounds down the pipe..."

"round count" get's my vote at the moment for dumbest phrase in shooting.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom