• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So this stuff I am reading today about balloons and Trump. Propaganda?

If real, I'd like to know why Trump didn't authorize a shoot down

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So this stuff I am reading today about balloons and Trump. Propaganda?

If real, I'd like to know why Trump didn't authorize a shoot down
    The news I heard was it happened 3 times in Trump’s term, and one other time in Biden’s term. But in all 4 previous instances, it was over US territory briefly. I don’t think that’s a big story anyone should be too excited about.

But, letting this one go through a big swath of the continental US, is a big enough story. TPTB tell us that it was harmless. But also TPTB spent their credibility allotment on COVID, weaponizing government against political opponents, colluding with big tech to silence disagreement. It’s too bad. I don’t believe them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They might be wanting to keep an eye on their investments.
    Maybe it drifted away and was meant to go somewhere else.

I did a quick search and can't find where it was other than "Latin America". No mention of a specific country.
    It could mean anything from Mexico right on the US border, all the way to Argentina. :dunno:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Just curious what they could be spying on over there. :dunno:

I get flying a balloon over a US Air Force base in Montana but I'm curious what could be targeted over South America.
    Who says that the balloon over South America is a spy balloon? If I was going to release a balloon to spy on a nation and claim that it is a weather balloon, it would make sense to release a few more to other parts of the globe to create doubt and a narrative.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Maybe it drifted away and was meant to go somewhere else.

I did a quick search and can't find where it was other than "Latin America". No mention of a specific country.
    It could mean anything from Mexico right on the US border, all the way to Argentina. :dunno:
    Looks like it flew through Columbian air space, at least.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    What about high resolution imaging? To prevent that you would need to prevent the balloon from communicating with a satellite

You put stuff in a hangar that you don't want to be seen. There's a counter for almost every means you can think of, but a lot of the details of these things are classified for obvious reasons.

It's an arms race not unlike any other.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Just curious what they could be spying on over there. :dunno:

I get flying a balloon over a US Air Force base in Montana but I'm curious what could be targeted over South America.

I was told that the most likely thing was trying to get a baseline for radio communications, so if it seems there's mobilization or heightened activity, they have advanced notice.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Looks like it flew through Columbian air space, at least.

Thanks for posting.

First, the term "hovering" was used a few times...I'm not sure the author know what "hovering" means.

Second, Columbia says that they did not see it as a national security issue, so they didn't shoot it down. I'm sure that having less than 20 aircraft that could even theoretically reach it which are set up mainly as attack aircraft had nothing to do with it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm hearing reports now that this balloon shot down by the U.S. was laden with explosives.
    Chinese claim it was for self-destruction.
    I doubt seriously if we know even half of the truth, and we very well may never learn anything more

Reactions: Mij
    Top Bottom