• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This was a deliberate provocation by the ChiComs IMO to test the decision-making process. There was no legitimate reason to do so otherwise they would have sought cooperation first before they floated it over this way If it was for legit scientific reasons as they claimed. How would they react if we had just gone over there and done the same thing?
    Have you considered that maybe we already have?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My point is the bald statement without ANY support that "it's completely under control via EW measures" is very presumptuous. Maybe we were actively jamming any emissions, maybe we were passively monitoring. Who knows.

I'm sure we have the capability, if the assets are available and can be moved in place to do so. But I've seen nothing that would make me conclude that "it's completely under control via EW measures"?
    D'accord

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    This version makes more sense to me.

Unless is was something other than a sidewinder(as claimed) I do not believe we shot it down.
    Why? 50,000 service ceiling of an f-22(lets give it some leeway and say 60k) that is still a FIN guided missile (ie needs air to steer) flying up 7.5 MORE miles to 100,000 feet(likely a lot longer as I doubt it was fired straight up). Even the aim9x(newest) uses the same solid rocket engine developed in 1983,it does not have the ability to steer with the engine. Clearly something brought it down based on images. No way I believe the sidewinder story. Also,at that altitude a cannon or any round propelled by gun powder would have almost no velocity(very little air for the powder to burn in),then again they do not understand the F-22 can not go that high. I see idiots saying the F-22 should have shot it down with their cannon(to save the $400,000 a sidewinder costs). sigh. Logic,reason,and knowledge seem to not be a part of most of these conversations.

View attachment 253067

Video of the shot. Comes from the lower left and exists upper right.

Gunpowder does not need ambient oxygen to burn. Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) provides the oxygen.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Also,at that altitude a cannon or any round propelled by gun powder would have almost no velocity(very little air for the powder to burn in)
    That is not true. Solid propellants have everything they need to burn and do not need air to burn. In fact the lack of air density would make the rocket fly faster than if it was launched from the ground.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    This version makes more sense to me.

Unless is was something other than a sidewinder(as claimed) I do not believe we shot it down.
    Why? 50,000 service ceiling of an f-22(lets give it some leeway and say 60k) that is still a FIN guided missile (ie needs air to steer) flying up 7.5 MORE miles to 100,000 feet(likely a lot longer as I doubt it was fired straight up). Even the aim9x(newest) uses the same solid rocket engine developed in 1983,it does not have the ability to steer with the engine. Clearly something brought it down based on images. No way I believe the sidewinder story. Also,at that altitude a cannon or any round propelled by gun powder would have almost no velocity(very little air for the powder to burn in),then again they do not understand the F-22 can not go that high. I see idiots saying the F-22 should have shot it down with their cannon(to save the $400,000 a sidewinder costs). sigh. Logic,reason,and knowledge seem to not be a part of most of these conversations.

View attachment 253067

Video of the shot. Comes from the lower left and exists upper right.

Just a coupla things:
    • At the time of shoot down the altitude of the F-22 was 58,000 feet, the balloon was between 60 and 65,000 feet
    • Are the Chinese and their Western spokesmodels saying that the balloon that flew through Columbian airspace was also a kooky but harmless weather balloon?
    • The article refers to Western news media as the "anti-China press". I thought that they were pro-China, given Hollywood and the NBA, for example, wanting to protect that market. I thought we on the right were supposed to be "anti-China".
    • Gunpowder

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Let me see if I've got this straight. The guy who took off for 4 months during the California sea-ports debacle... and no one noticed... says the balloon Charlie Foxtrot was handled appropriately. No that does not increase my confidence in this administration.

Pete Buttigieg says Biden handled Chinese spy balloon 'appropriately' amid backlash from Republicans​

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Let me see if I've got this straight. The guy who took off for 4 months during the California sea-ports debacle... and no one noticed... says the balloon Charlie Foxtrot was handled appropriately. No that does not increase my confidence in this administration.

Pete Buttigieg says Biden handled Chinese spy balloon 'appropriately' amid backlash from Republicans​

Pete certainly is keeping visible, you would think he was running for president already.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    While we're talking about spy balloons, probably important to mention the US Government is already doing this to you with OPTICAL CAMERAS as part of the "drug war:"

https://nexusnewsfeed.com/article/s...ross-the-country-to-track-people-s-movements/

16820326-7315157-image-a-3_1564762161125-1600090067326.jpg

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here is the -real- non partisan scoop on the shootdown.

Here are the cliffs notes.

They used an AIM-9X with the warhead inert or removed.

The AIM-9X can track the balloon, not through heat (as the old Vietnam and 80s ones did), but through IR cameras and designation in the cockpit, the sensor is basically an IR camera now, you use the designator to mark the target and it goes and hits it. No more growl in the pilots ear.

Elint assets were jamming the thing so it could not "ET phone home" to China. ALL THE WAY. ELINT was also listening to the thing talk RF wise.

The intel gathered by the US on this thing is valuable.

The US Navy is going to pick up the remnants.

Biden is an idiot, but the USAF knows what the hell they are doing.

Sorry to rain on the parade of the Tin Foil Hatter crew here.

Top Bottom