• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sadly once upon a time Pence was a good guy whom I helped get elected in his first house campaign. The swamp used its magic to put him in a seat in the DC hot tub…
    Idunno. I suspect Pence has not changed. He always struck me as a traditional/Neocon Republican. Perhaps rather than it being Pence that’s changed, maybe you have changed. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way.

I’ve changed my own political leanings. I was way more libertarian. Still am in many ways. Before Trump no one was articulating a populist message. Conservatives were pretty much stuck with the messaging from tradcons since GWB on what conservatives are supposed to want.

Trump comes in talking about Tariffs, and bringing Jobs back, and putting the US first, and making other nato countries spending a bit of their own money instead of relying on us. It wasn’t really an isolationist message.

Pence sounds like the same tradcon he sounded like years ago. It’s just that I’m not as forgiving or amenable to messaging from tradcons as I was years ago. That mf’er has not changed much.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Trump comes in talking about Tariffs, and bringing Jobs back, and putting the US first, and making other nato countries spending a bit of their own money instead of relying on us. It wasn’t really an isolationist message.
    I can't find a single thing that sounds like it's bad for America. I can put up with some botched decisions for just these things alone. Name someone else that could've even come close to getting it done. :dunno:

A little football analogy... Trump was like a superstar quarterback with a really crappy front line, no all-pro running backs, tight ends or receivers. And as it turns out, a pretty sucky defensive team.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I can't find a single thing that sounds like it's bad for America. I can put up with some botched decisions for just these things alone. Name someone else that could've even come close to getting it done. :dunno:

A little football analogy... Trump was like a superstar quarterback with a really crappy front line, no all-pro running backs, tight ends or receivers. And as it turns out, a pretty sucky defensive team.
    For those who say I never give Trump credit, I do give him credit for this. Conservatives have struggled with messaging for forever. With articulating what it is conservatives want politicians to do.

We leave it up to politicians and pundits to articulate the message. Low taxes! Small government. Yeah but it’s more than that. Strong military. Yeah, but it’s more than that. Blah blah blah. It’s more than that. Trump figured out what people wanted to hear. And filled stadiums saying it. An now conservatives have the language to articulate what they want.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County

Good analogy. My fear is any new quarterback we get can be just as good or better and still not have the “team” to win.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Virtually anything I would say about Pence would sound negative. It would be insulting to him and his backers. Frankly, the man needs to abandon his campaign. With that said, I offer one particular compliment to Pence. When he bought his house in Carmel (or where ever the actual address is) he had to disclose financials. Interestingly, he didn't/doesn't have particularly great wealth. His net wealth seemed (to me) to be well below what one might expect from a career politician (every single one is a grifter!). Now, I don't know if his financials mean he is more honest and avoids most grift opportunities, or if he lacks the conniving needed to parlay his political status and associated opportunities. His commoner wealth is the only compliment I can offer to him. Now, he's unelectable and should get the **** out of the way.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    No offense IMHO he is not qualified, and really reminds me of another failed presidential candidate or two Pierre, or Perhaps I will have die in office because the i am that important Mc Cain.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Except he picked the team that was around him and told everyone they were all all-pros.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Except he picked the team that was around him and told everyone they were all all-pros.
    You always act as if Trump had a deep bench to pick from. He did not. He picked people who he thought would be good from what was available, but I think he was thinking more like a CEO in that 'if this guy doesn't work out I'll just replace him' when in reality that is much more difficult

I think in his pick of Flynn one can see he had good instincts when good players were available. Think upon how difficult things would have been for Reagan if his own party had fought him every step of the way and most skilled candidates would not accept a position in his government because of pressure from that party

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You always act as if Trump had a deep bench to pick from. He did not. He picked people who he thought would be good from what was available, but I think he was thinking more like a CEO in that 'if this guy doesn't work out I'll just replace him' when in reality that is much more difficult

I think in his pick of Flynn one can see he had good instincts when good players were available. Think upon how difficult things would have been for Reagan if his own party had fought him every step of the way and most skilled candidates would not accept a position in his government because of pressure from that party
    I can agree with a lot of that sentiment actually. I think the part you are missing is he seemed to hold ass kissers in very high regard. Especially early, that seemed to be what got people jobs.

Like so much, everything he did was the best, even when it wasn't.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Like so much, everything he did was the best, even when it wasn't.
    You're right, ironically. Everything he did WAS the best, at least in my adult lifetime, even when it didn't turn out perfect

He was better than Reagan in many ways

"Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" - Joni Mitchell, Big Yellow Taxi

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You're right, ironically. Everything he did WAS the best, at least in my adult lifetime, even when it didn't turn out perfect

He was better than Reagan in many ways

"Don't it always seem to go, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" - Joni Mitchell, Big Yellow Taxi
    Nah. He did a lot of good stuff, but he did a lot of stuff that was not the best. Of course it was all someone else's fault.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Good analogy. My fear is any new quarterback we get can be just as good or better and still not have the “team” to win.
    Idunno. I don’t think I’d classify Trump as a superstar QB. He has some key skills that help him be successful. He’s not a doer. Not an administrator. He’s a more of facilitator. He figures out what someone wants and gets the doers together who make it happen. His choice of doers isn't always stellar.

I stopped reading after "GOP turncoat".

I think he's staying true to the GOP tradcons, who pretty much run the party. How is that being turncoat?

If you want to say that he's working for the establishment/uniparty I'd say that's accurate. It's their party until they're no longer a majority of congress GOP. It hasn't been rescued yet.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think I remember seeing that Trump even admitted some of his pics for positions early on weren't the best because he wasn't savvy enough about the choices, but he says he knows better now, and he has learned from experience.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

Kinda like Barry Sanders with the 80's Lions...

Top Bottom