• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Will you be at the 2A rally on February 8th?

• Total voters

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    Put in my request for the 8th this morning

1ish I get a reply "It is a Friday and you will need to work your normal shift,request denied. And if for any reason you call in or do not work your normal shift your employement will be treminated"

I'm not even sure what to say ?

Sounds like to me you need a new employer? I would not work at a place that blatantly denies my right to use vacation or personal time off of work. I work my A$$ off for it, so I get to use it whenever I choose to.

I am making plans to attend this event. If I do choose to bring a rifle I would choose to have it slung across my chest at the low ready, mag in place, and full of 62gr goodness. I am in my legal right to do so?

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I am making plans to attend this event. If I do choose to bring a rifle I would choose to have it slung across my chest at the low ready, mag in place, and full of 62gr goodness. I am in my legal right to do so?
    In Indiana, you can carry a rifle in anyway you choose, as long as you are over 18 and legally able to do so (no LTCR is required or even available). However, for this event the organizers are asking that rifles be unloaded (not chambered) and slung in a safe direction (muzzle towards the ground). These are for safety reasons as the last thing we want to have happen is an ND during a rally for our Rights.

In my opinion, the reason for asking long guns to not be chambered is because they run a higher risk of having an ND since they are not in a holster (this is also the reason for asking they be slung in a safe direction, which should be muzzle towards the ground due to surrounding buildings of more than one floor). In a group of this size, although not plausible, it is a possibility and that's the last thing we want to happen. As for the image it portrays, I don't see it as a totally bad thing, and it can be justified.

Media Hack: "Excuse me Sir, I see you're carrying a rifle."

"Yes, I am."

MH: "Is it loaded?"

"No, it is not."

MH: "Well, why not? Do you not think it's safe to carry around a loaded rifle?"

"Yes, it is very safe, however, we are here to make a statement about our Rights as Americans, not to go to war or start a fight."

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    In Indiana, you can carry a rifle in anyway you choose, as long as you are over 18 and legally able to do so (no LTCR is required or even available). However, for this event the organizers are asking that rifles be unloaded (not chambered) and slung in a safe direction (muzzle towards the ground). These are for safety reasons as the last thing we want to have happen is an ND during a rally for our Rights.

In my opinion, the reason for asking long guns to not be chambered is because they run a higher risk of having an ND since they are not in a holster (this is also the reason for asking they be slung in a safe direction, which should be muzzle towards the ground due to surrounding buildings of more than one floor). In a group of this size, although not plausible, it is a possibility and that's the last thing we want to happen. As for the image it portrays, I don't see it as a totally bad thing, and it can be justified.

Media Hack: "Excuse me Sir, I see you're carrying a rifle."

"Yes, I am."

MH: "Is it loaded?"

"No, it is not."

MH: "Well, why not? Do you not think it's safe to carry around a loaded rifle?"

"Yes, it is very safe, however, we are here to make a statement about our Rights as Americans, not to go to war or start a fight."

Copy that. So in review, weapon can be slung low ready (muzzle points down), magazine (unloaded) in place, BCG locked to rear. If that is the case then I will bring my SCAR 16s w/ a Troy Battlemag in place.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Facebook is free and reaches the largest mass of people the fastest. I believe there are links to the organizing page in this OP.

Doesn't this mean the info will reach the anti's too? You folks got a plan for their antagonism, firecrackers, whatever?

MooreALX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Hartford City
    I plan on going. I will however not carry a hunk of metal and plastic. All firearms I carry on a daily basis are loaded, so if I decide to carry a long gun with sling that would be slung on the front of my body, it will be loaded just like any other day of the week.

This is my opinion. We preach long guns ("assault rifles") are safe and don't shoot people on there own and pistols are just as dangerous and so on. So why should we go against what we preach and unload these long guns? Would it not have a negative view by the liberals? They could say "look, even gun owners don't carry loaded "assault rifles" because they know they are dangerous". Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but what is the point of having long guns unloaded?

Edit: not trying to stir something up, but just curious.

I agree with you completely. I've always thought the idea of carrying an unloaded weapon is a bad idea.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'm in, wife and 20yr old son in too. Can anyone tell me if SBR's can be open carried? Nothing turns up search wise.

Not a problem, just make sure you have your paperwork with you!

EDIT IANAL, do not take my word as law, personally I don't think we should have the NFA, or have to organize a walk to support our rights, as they are our rights, but such is the times we live in.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'd LOVE to come do this. Work has been miserably busy and I don't see it letting up. :xmad:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Questions have been brought up on these pages regarding Indiana. I figured I'd throw them in here for the apt "legal eagles" here.

1. How does/can/would the recent preemption law affect this movement? There is nothing preventing this event from acting within the law that I'm aware of. Am I missing something in the IC?

2. It is illegal to carry on Statehouse property and IGC campus, but where does that property line extend? Are sidewalks considered part of those properties? I thought the property line ends at the sidewalk which is considered public domain?!? Also, if these people decide to carry (regardless of weapon type) how does Ch. 16, sec 5-4 and 5-5 apply here? Introduced Version, Senate Bill 0181 it appears to me that, given this section, carrying here would be "ok" in this context.:dunno:

I'm all for people making an appropriate stand for rights, but it would be best to make sure they are doing so in a legal manner. With the number of people planning to attend and working to organize this thing, there's a lot of potential to do more harm than good if not covering all bases.

gunner69

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Anderson
    Just seen on the facebook link they'll be asking people to "sign in". Do you know what this information this will involve?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Just seen on the facebook link they'll be asking people to "sign in". Do you know what this information this will involve?
    I believe they were discussing it further down on the page. Requiring at sign in proof that those who partake are of legal age, properly licensed to carry, and they are who they say they are. Meaning they will ask to see ID and LTCH. The reasoning is in case someone was to enter it and try to sabotage the events intent you would be able to identify whether or not they were actually a part of the movement. Also, they were talking about recording DL numbers for further security, but were planning to destroy the sign in sheets as soon as the event is over for everyone's peace of mind.

Of course, that's not to say someone still couldn't enter, sabotage, and hurt the intent...but it's a good and reasonable measure to at least attempt to avoid such acts I think. It's really about all people can do without securing an event on private property and such.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Questions have been brought up on these pages regarding Indiana. I figured I'd throw them in here for the apt "legal eagles" here.

1. How does/can/would the recent preemption law affect this movement? There is nothing preventing this event from acting within the law that I'm aware of. Am I missing something in the IC?

2. It is illegal to carry on Statehouse property and IGC campus, but where does that property line extend? Are sidewalks considered part of those properties? I thought the property line ends at the sidewalk which is considered public domain?!? Also, if these people decide to carry (regardless of weapon type) how does Ch. 16, sec 5-4 and 5-5 apply here? Introduced Version, Senate Bill 0181 it appears to me that, given this section, carrying here would be "ok" in this context.:dunno:

I'm all for people making an appropriate stand for rights, but it would be best to make sure they are doing so in a legal manner. With the number of people planning to attend and working to organize this thing, there's a lot of potential to do more harm than good if not covering all bases.

Senate Bill 181 was never passed. It was referred to the Judiciary Committee but I don't believe it ever got out of committee. Carrying on the "campus" of the Indiana Government Center is still prohibited under 240 IAC 9-3-1:

Weapons and devices prohibited

Sec. 1. No person in possession of a deadly weapon, destructive device, weapon of mass destruction, or any other device commonly used in furtherance of terrorism, or is readily capable of causing serious bodily injury as determined by an authorized law enforcement officer shall be permitted into or permitted to remain in the Indiana government center campus.

240 IAC 9-3-2 Controlled access

Sec. 2. There shall be established procedures and public entry screening points for identifying and prohibiting deadly weapons, destructive devices, and weapons of mass destruction from being brought, or attempting to be brought, into the Indiana government center campus.

240 IAC 9-3-3 Authorized persons

Sec. 3. This rule does not apply to the following persons, otherwise authorized by law to carry firearms, who enter the Indiana government center campus in an official capacity and not as private citizens: (1) A federal, state, or local law enforcement officer or a person who has been employed or authorized by the state to provide security protection and services. (2) Members of the Indiana general assembly who hold an unlimited license to carry a handgun (see IC 35-47-2-4); (3) Members of the Indiana judiciary (see IC 35-47-2-2(4)).

240 IAC 9-3-4 Enforcement

Sec. 4. The department shall, pursuant to IC 10-11-2-28 and this rule, enforce and implement enhanced security measures to ensure improved safety and security within the Indiana government center campus under the provisions of this rule and 25 IAC 8.

Guy

Top Bottom