• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    When people rate their overall experience and satisfaction, or say, "I love my Mac"(/Wilson/nighthawk) it isn't necessarily because it has better specs. It's because it just works, without any fuss or worry, in a way that's easy or intuitive or enjoyable to them. Get a Mac and a good cup of coffee and you'll stop hating puppies.

Truth.

So much truth I made it my new sigline.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Macs are really nice computers, just not worth the money for what I use my personal computer for.

I'm a PC user and I've never had one "crash." That includes a laptop I had for ~8 years.

Since switching to Google Chrome, I've never had a virus.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say most Windows users experience is based on store bought PCs. They come with a bunch of garbage that drive you crazy. Best experience on a Windows PC is either a home build, or a fresh install of windows on a store bought PC with only the base OS so there isn't all the added crap that you need.

I'll admit that Windows 7 is the first OS I'd call "Good". I think if you compare prices and spend the same on both you'll get comparable machines. The fact that Windows will work with virtually ANY hardware is a huge feat and kind of amazing by itself. If MS made proprietary hardware and could include half the stuff Apple does without getting sued they'd be very similar in reliability. If only Apple had to abide by the anti-trust laws (must be nice being the little guy)

I'd say look at both in similar price points and go with the one that gives you the most satisfaction. Yeah, I'm a Windows guy but I'm not going to tell you its the best option for what you're looking for.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say most Windows users experience is based on store bought PCs. They come with a bunch of garbage that drive you crazy. Best experience on a Windows PC is either a home build, or a fresh install of windows on a store bought PC with only the base OS so there isn't all the added crap that you need.

I'll admit that Windows 7 is the first OS I'd call "Good". I think if you compare prices and spend the same on both you'll get comparable machines. The fact that Windows will work with virtually ANY hardware is a huge feat and kind of amazing by itself. If MS made proprietary hardware and could include half the stuff Apple does without getting sued they'd be very similar in reliability. If only Apple had to abide by the anti-trust laws (must be nice being the little guy)

I'd say look at both in similar price points and go with the one that gives you the most satisfaction. Yeah, I'm a Windows guy but I'm not going to tell you its the best option for what you're looking for.

Don't listen to him... He uses the Windows phone too.. :rolleyes: :D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm an all Mac guy now with a mini, iPhone, and iPad. I hate messing with computers and my apple stuff works every time I try it.

IIRC, the op had a thread about doing a hard drive backup. I just bought a time capsule, plugged it in, followed the few simple commands and it worked. Not sure how I'll retrieve the data if I need to but I'll deal with that if the time ever comes.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

I bought my dell xps, and built my formal gaming computer...xp switched to vista then onto 7 64bit....

Windows is boring, I find apple products much more exciting and lively. I also find myself more productive as well. You what you choose and what you like, and I'll do the same for me.

To the OP, go to an apple store and play with a make and make your decision...end of story.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'm an all Mac guy now with a mini, iPhone, and iPad. I hate messing with computers and my apple stuff works every time I try it.

IIRC, the op had a thread about doing a hard drive backup. I just bought a time capsule, plugged it in, followed the few simple commands and it worked. Not sure how I'll retrieve the data if I need to but I'll deal with that if the time ever comes.

That's exactly why people enjoy their Mac computers, MacBooks, iPads, iPhones, etc. so much. They make computer time so easy and worry free, every time you power one up so pretty much all you do is sit back and enjoy the experience.:yesway:

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    I have both. If I had it to do over again I would not get the Mac.
    There are some things that don't run on a Mac, Period. So you either use parallels or boot camp, I use parallels.
    I am not a graphics major, I cannot see anything the Mac does that a PC can't
    Dealing with Apple people is.....interesting.
    My DVD will not use a blank DVD/CD. I put a blank one in and it says please insert CD into computer. I can watch movies, get info off other cd's dvd's whatever. The computer won't read blank media. I take it to Apple they said my optical drive is shot 400$$ please! I said if my optical drive was shot how can it read some things and not others?
    My laptop work very well on the counter. If I pick it up it disconnects from the wi-fi and the only way to reconnect is to shutdown and restart. Apple said my motherboard is broken. Possible, not likely.
    Unless you have a need for an Apple stay away. Get a pc put AVG on it and you'll be good to go.

jsnowy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Muncie
    It should be noted that there is a bit of a learning curve involved with the mac products. While it would be helpful to "test drive" a mac, don't be overwhelmed if you don't get it right away. I've had my imac for 5 months and am still learning little quirks, tips and tricks.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Mac users typically enjoy using their computers. Windows users rarely do. I use both, I work on both, I prefer my Macs for everyday use. I prefer my Windows HTPC for media.

If you want a simple to use computer to do what 99% of people do on computers get a Mac.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    esrice does a lot of photoshop type editing. He may be purchasing Adobe CS5 before too long(at least that's what I am telling him he needs.. hehehe) so he's trying to decide what the best option is for him. I too am in that same type of predicament. I'm not an Apple fan girl but I do like Apple products. I think they are designed very well, etc but are expensive. I have CS5 and run it on my computer and laptop. My hardware is old and I too need new hardware. Since I often have 2 or 3 Adobe products open at once, I need a piece of equipment that is designed for that. Apples definitely fit that category but PCs are more and more powerful now as well. I've owned Dells as far back as I can remember so I'm having a very hard time switching to a Mac. I'm still not sure what to do because it's expensive. I was looking at one of the newer iMacs that uses an i7 processor. It's $2K for the one I want though. I can get a PC for 1/4 that and I already have 2 nice monitors. It's not 27" but I have 2 23" monitors.

Decisions.. decisions...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you need Photoshop, it's available for Macs (more pros use it on Macs). Another, and more importantly, free option is GIMP, (plug ins available, too). Does much of what PS does for none of the price. Very popular with Mac and Linux users.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I don't really have much Mac exp. But I did find myself in the same predicament of needing to upgrade my hardware. I was able to put together a new rocking machine for about $1000. I used a Cooler master case with the following. Msi motherboard, Sandy Bridge i5 processor at 3.3 Ghz, GeForce Gt 260 Video card a Yasya SCYS-1000 cpu cooler a basic DVD/CD burner along with an 850W power supply and 4GB ram with a 1.5T 7200 hard drive. I was able to configure 3 120mm blue LED fans in a push pull configuration that enabled me to over clock my cpu to 4.8 Ghz at that rate I was able to keep temps in the acceptable range but because I want to ensure long life I backed it off to 4.5 Ghz. At 4.5Ghz even running Fur Mark as a stress test the temp has never gone above 51C. This set up is a rocket it shreds any program I have run on it. Its is great at multitasking and an unbelievable gamer giving me 60fps on World of Warcraft set on ultra, its the same story with Crysis 2, Fear 3 and all the Call of Duty's and Gears of War series. The only thing I went a little short on was the ram I plan to add another 4GB stick in the next few weeks. If your doing a lot of video editing I would recommend the newer Sandy Bridge i7 processor its $100 more but it is better for video editing but surprisingly not really as good for gaming as the i5. The i7 should be able to reach a 4.8 Ghz overclock while maintaining safe operating temps. I also got a Steel Series back-lit gaming keyboard for an additional $40, I am still looking for a new mouse. I am also for lack of funds still using an old 17" Dell flat screen its only 1440X1080p I cant wait to see what it will look like once I am able to upgrade to a 1980X1080p wide screen LCD. I will also later add another GeForce Gt 260 once I add the Ram and second Vid Card it will truly be rockin.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    GIMP is indeed a good app. I also have it loaded for quick things I may need to do. :)
    It opens quickly and I can finish something easy before Photoshop will even open. (of course, that has a lot to do with my insufficient hardware)

I think if esrice does get CS5 Collection software and plays around with After Effects, we'll either 1) never see him again or 2) see some REALLY cool videos from him. :)

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.
    I have both and use both, and I would recommend a Mac to my grandma.

But I use PCs more often because I actually enjoy the fiddling and tinkering. I have a Windows Home Server in my basement and a a Widows Media Center PC dedicated to the living room TV so I spend most of my time in the MS universe. But I also like Macs quite a lot too, and I have a an iMac in addition to a couple of iOS devices. There is no need to take sides. It cracks me up how these threads turn into religious wars.

IMO, there just isn't as much difference between them as there was even a few years ago. The desktop OS is getting pretty mature on both sides. Try them out, see what you like and go be happy with it. They are both good platforms nowadays.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I have a iMac and a PC, if I start them both at the same time, I can have read my mail and be online with the iMac, before the PC is booted up.
    My iMac is coming up to 3 years old, (bought the extended warranty and never had to use it) I've never had a problem, it's never locked up, it does what it says on the box... end of story.
    I'll be selling this one soon to get me the new 27" LED iMac

Top Bottom