• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Take a look at surveys of pc users and Mac users when they rate their satisfaction with their computers. I know, the Mac guys are all lying to make people think they didn't overspend.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    A hi point will handle your self defense needs too. But for a few bucks more, you can get something that isn't hideously ugly, works better, and is easier to use. Same concept.

Yes you can save money with a hi-point, but what I really want is a kimber...why waste money on something I don't want when I can wait a little long and save up for what I really do want.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I've done side by sides for fanboys on here. PC vs. Mac is coming down to hardware being almost exactly the same with Macs coming with a better display by default. For the cost difference, you can easily overcome that whether it is a laptop or desktop. I've done side by sides with Android based phones and iPhones as well...Apple doesn't always release full specs on certain products. They use phrases like "almost twice as fast".

As far as paying big bucks for anti-virus/malware/whatever, I have NEVER spent a cent on them for any of the PCs I've had. Plenty of the free programs work perfectly fine (and also put out OSX software).

These threads always come down to the WoooHoooo!!! I spent a bunch of money for a product from a trendy brand that I really didn't need and the people that bought a product that fit their needs without overspending. Group 1 tries to convince group 2 that they wasted their money and they should spend more to make up for it.
    How is hardware the same? :dunno:

The hardware is never the same when comparing the same "class" of computer because the mac runs on way less hardware to do the same or more in the performance area.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yes you can save money with a hi-point, but what I really want is a kimber...why waste money on something I don't want when I can wait a little long and save up for what I really do want.

Kimber? Why skimp when you can get a Nighthawk? :D

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Kimber? Why skimp when you can get a Nighthawk? :D

I like your way of thinking. So you are saying I really do need the 12 Core Mac Pro for my desktop. I knew it in my heart but couldn't bring myself to tell my wife that was what I really needed.:rockwoot:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    How many people actually need a Mac? They're safer for morons because morons get click happy when they see erectile dysfunction emails or scammer emails. If someone NEEDS a Mac, go for it. If you're buying it because it is cool or because someone told you they like theirs, you don't NEED it...you're overspending and I don't care what any survey about anything says.

If you're just going to email, browse forums, store pics...you don't need to spend Apple money. And yes, I have used Macs...not overly impressed as you can do everything I need on a PC (I have had a Hackintosh set up and the novelty wore off as I don't NEED to use the proprietary software you can only use on an Apple product).

I've known plenty of people with Apple products that were pure crap and people with PCs that were pure crap. iPhones that were pure crap, Android based phones that were pure crap. A survey showing .2% to 1% improvement over a several year period isn't showing too much to me for Apple when Dell, HP, and a few others were showing increases double or triple that in the same period. If PCs are showing faster gains in the surveys and going from 15% to 8-9% (depending on which surveys) behind Apple, that would show me that PCs are actually improving at a faster rate than Apple products.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

ding ding ding...there would be the answer most users give for buying a Mac...I want. If you have the money and want it, buy it. If you want something that will do the job just as well (don't tell me that you can't surf the web just as well on a PC) for quite a bit cheaper, get a Windows based computer.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    How is hardware the same? :dunno:

The hardware is never the same when comparing the same "class" of computer because the mac runs on way less hardware to do the same or more in the performance area.

Side by side comparisons from tech sites seem to show the hardware specs being the same for certain products (same processors, same memory, same graphics). Going from Apples specs (on their website) and some specific laptops, I can find you a laptop that weighs less, has the same specs (actually better in a couple areas), but does has slightly worse display (not that its bad) for $900 less than the 15" MacBook Pro.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    On a basic spec sheet, a Rock Island is more or less the same as Wilson. Those that know better, know better. The details make a difference.

Specifications

Caliber 45
    Magazine Capacity 8 rd.
    Barrel Length 5"
    Overall Length 8.7"
    Sight Radius 6.6"
    Height 5.6"
    Width 1.3"
    Weight Empty 38.1 oz.
    Weight Loaded 46.2 oz.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say PC. Have been using windows machines since high school and have never had any virus, malware, or operating system issues. Though my opinion is likely biased never having owned a Mac, my experience started with my roommate touting how great his Mac was only to turn around and ask if he could use my Dell because the software he needed wasn't available for his Mac. I think either one would fit the bill but refuse to jump on the "Mac is better than PC" bandwagon.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say PC. Have been using windows machines since high school and have never had any virus, malware, or operating system issues. Though my opinion is likely biased never having owned a Mac, my experience started with my roommate touting how great his Mac was only to turn around and ask if he could use my Dell because the software he needed wasn't available for his Mac. I think either one would fit the bill but refuse to jump on the "Mac is better than PC" bandwagon.

No, you're wrong just as I am...we'll get really vague answers as to why...but we're wrong (even when I clarify by stating that if you actually NEED a Mac, you should get one).

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I guess haters got to hate.

Not all Mac users are morons that want to click on ED ads. I dislike Windows. I dislike it for its long history of using anti-competitive practices to keep hardware manufacturers from installing other OSes or even leaving it blank. I think it is the OS for people who want to be like everyone else. Just look at the number of Windows users that still run IE with all the security problems it has (I know it has gotten better but it has a long history). Apparently they can't figure out how change to another browser. So I will not use it except as required by my employer. I run Slackware on my laptop. If Apple died tomorrow, I would only run *nix of some flavor or other.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    All I can compare to is what is seen through these computer illiterate eyes. I don't know a lot about technical comparisons, specs, hardware, software, etc. but I DO know that switching from PC to MAC was the best move I can recall in quite some time. I've seen the ads and I've tried to understand all the computer guru lingo but the only thing that I will agree to is when I was told why people love their Macs...... because they WORK!

Had I known years ago how quick and easy the learning curve was and how dependable and headache free Macs are I would have never even taken a second glance at a PC. At work, when chatting amongst co-workers about computers, I listen to the PC guys constantly complaining about problems, viruses, re-formatting, etc., I just look at them and say, "yup, I remember those days". ;)

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    has anyone mentioned yet if you want those "high dollar anti virus packages" if your on Comcast at least... you can download straight from them... Think its McAfee right now.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Think its McAfee right now.

I remember years ago I once downloaded my update from McAfee to my PC and there was a trojan horse attached to the download (that my current version of McAfee didn't detect). Screwed my computer up good and I ended up having to do a full restore to get rid of it.

I remember those days! :)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    PC users are always angry and hostile and base their arguments around insulting Mac users or saying they're just not worth the money. It's never an argument that you'll like it better or a testimonial about how they love their pc. I was angry when I was a PC user, too. I understand.

Mac users tend to glow about their computers and base their recommendations on statements like, "I love my Mac, should have switched sooner, and I think you would love it, too."

PC users hate puppies and children and rainbows because those are happy things.

Which person do you want to be?

:popcorn:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I guess haters got to hate.

Not all Mac users are morons that want to click on ED ads. I dislike Windows. I dislike it for its long history of using anti-competitive practices to keep hardware manufacturers from installing other OSes or even leaving it blank. I think it is the OS for people who want to be like everyone else. Just look at the number of Windows users that still run IE with all the security problems it has (I know it has gotten better but it has a long history). Apparently they can't figure out how change to another browser. So I will not use it except as required by my employer. I run Slackware on my laptop. If Apple died tomorrow, I would only run *nix of some flavor or other.

When I was talking about click happy morons, I was talking about any computer user that has no self control or common sense. They're seen more in the Windows world because of the sheer number of PC users. If people are constantly running into security issues and running IE, that is 100% on them. I HAVE to use IE for 1 of my classes as that is the only browser that is fully supported (don't ask me why). I actually had to download IE for this 1 class.

Microsoft and Apple have some very shady business practices (as do almost all electronic manufacturers). I'd say that all computer hardware manufacturers are guilty of committing a bunch of the same bad practices (since most displays and many processors and other chips are made in the same plants for all manufacturers).

You got me on the hating most children thing (but that is the fault of bad parents). But the "I love my Mac..." isn't too much of a testimonial when you're not providing concrete reasons. I've been called a troll quite a few times when I've provided side by sides from tech sites and from doing my own research. When you show a Mac user that a specific Mac and a specific PC have the SAME hardware (once again, made on the same lines...put into different boxes), you'll get called a troll. When you show a PC that has better specs and provide research to back it up, you'll get called a troll. There is honestly no hostility here, if I would have NEEDED a Mac...I would have bought one. Most people simply don't need one...its a want and if you want it, buy it. I don't care what you buy and use...the average person needs to do a little thing called research to see what they actually need and make a logical decision based on their findings.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    When people rate their overall experience and satisfaction, or say, "I love my Mac"(/Wilson/nighthawk) it isn't necessarily because it has better specs. It's because it just works, without any fuss or worry, in a way that's easy or intuitive or enjoyable to them. Get a Mac and a good cup of coffee and you'll stop hating puppies.

Top Bottom