• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've bought a few used guns and reloading equipment, over the years, that had obvious problems that often previous owners created and just passed along. None of the problems were of a catastrophic nature and I was able to resolve them without too much trouble and expense. I never had that with people I know well. I am not a big fan of passing along problems that I know about and when possible, I'll correct them prior to a sale or make the problem know to a potential buyer. I've bought a new product and had trouble with it and got a new replacement. When I've done that and sold the brand new one, I feel compelled to tell the buyer of the previous problem(s) with the other (returned) one. At gun shows there are a lot of used problem items for sale. That is where "caveat emptor" really has a meaning, but sometimes, no matter how carefully you inspect something, there is always a possibility that it is a lemon. I've even seen bad ammo being hawked and have fallen victim, as well as, my buddy. I guess my advice is when buying stuff, research it and try to stay within your scope of knowledge. You still may get burned, I have, but less often.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've have often suspected this may take place at gun shows. When it's crowded and you're in hurry to close what looks like a great deal. Only to get it home and find out it wasn't such a great deal after all. Most of us don't like to be in the way in an aisle, and also most of us know if we walk away to see if we can find it cheaper. It won't be there when you get back. I haven't personally had this happen, I can certainly see how it could. And some people seem to be OK with screwing others over.
    It's too bad, and probably takes place in every hobby.

After years of being in this hobby, it seem like newer people to gun hobby become candidates to be preyed upon by seasoned people in the hobby.
    Like passing along problem firearms or ammo. Most people, new to any hobby seem to have to pay "The price of admission" i.e. getting burned once or twice to figure out how the hobby really works.
    That is one of many reasons this forum is great, a new shooter can learn a lot just by actually reading the forum.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I have seen on this forum many times a member posting a "problem child" gun saying the problems they've had, and remedies tried, one of the reasons I love this forum. For dealings with non INGO people.......as the OP said, Caveat Emptor, as regards non INGO people...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    INGO classifieds are the only place I shop. Just sayin'...

That said, it only makes sense to attempt to only buy guns that are/were the top selling guns in their categories. Lots of online reviews, forums, video, complaints, etc.

Does not make any sense to risk buying a lower selling odd brand or model. New designs, prima donna's, etc. are risks. Terribly disappointing risks that you don't want, nor do the seller. So don't buy them in the first place, and if you are selling your mistake disclose problems in detail.

:twocents:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    A couple of years ago I saw a Remington 700 in .30-06 on Gunbroker and it had a stupid low price.
    I read the description to find it listed as having a "broken bolt".

Pictures showed a disassembled bolt, but it looked intact so I put in a low bid and won the auction.
    When it arrived at my FFL I went in to do the 4473 and wait for the phone call.
    Call took less than 5 minutes, but before the call was over. I had reassembled the bolt and it was complete and working fine.

Once I got it home I loaded it up and put 3 rounds through it without incident.

Sometimes it's only "broke" if you don't know what you're doing!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    INGO classifieds are the only place I shop. Just sayin'...

That said, it only makes sense to attempt to only buy guns that are/were the top selling guns in their categories. Lots of online reviews, forums, video, complaints, etc.

Does not make any sense to risk buying a lower selling odd brand or model. New designs, prima donna's, etc. are risks. Terribly disappointing risks that you don't want, nor do the seller. So don't buy them in the first place, and if you are selling your mistake disclose problems in detail.

:twocents:
    Almost all new guns have a company that backs them up. It's the used ones that most concern me. I really like your last phrase, too! I only had an issue with one used gun I bought from an INGO member, many years ago. I didn't know that it had mismatched grip panels until I got home. It came with the box and I didn't I feel comfortable taking it out and really looking it over in a crowded parking lot. Luckily I had spare grips at home for the model. I've seen guns at auctions that looked really nice until I picked them up and saw considerable rust and pitting on the underside!

Myrradah

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 90.9%
    20   2   0
    Jul 11, 2023
    Lafayette
    Sometimes Ill get something cheap and have a plan or idea what to expect or know for sure something is wrong. LIke an optic that may be broke. For whatever reason the owner may not have tried warranty. Once I get it, i reach out and ask if warranty applies and transferable and so far every time I got a new one. Well, likely refurbished by the company but new basically :) I have a few optics that are like this that operate fantastic.

i also find firearms not working. I usually can figure out the way or ask a question or two to get that idea and can fix it.

Key point from the original poster applies here. you have to ask and look. Being "broke" is ok but may be a simple fix. Ask questions and if you are the one trying to sell it, be honest about it.

i sold an Aero 308 AR10. When I did I informed the buyer Aero has a long standing issue with the bolt not locking back. I gave him some idea how to fix it if he wanted and ideas others have used. I mostly fixed it already but it still didnt always lock back - it really depended on the Mag at this point. Some mags would lock it back and some wouldnt so I shared that with him as well.

On the flip side, I have had some people make claims that were completely bogus and even tried to go out of their way to get others to neg me. I just let it be and muted that guy.

majority of the time, problems with a firearm are from people installing modifications incorrectly :)
    like trigger shoes, springs, ejectors backwards etc.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sold an old TC MZ to coworker. He didnt shoot it for months. Way later ran up to me in hallway at work and excitedly proclaimed that it was the best shooting muzzleloader he ever had.

Told him it was a good one when I sold it. Guess he thought I was lying.

I dont pass along problems, on anything.

RobertIN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2024
    West Harrison
    I don't understand how anyone passes on problems they know about without disclosure. I'd feel so slimy and constantly worry about them being disappointed or worse, getting hurt. My online reputation is important to me too, maybe that's stupid idk. Try to treat it as you would your personal reputation and you should be good to go in my opinion.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Sold an old TC MZ to coworker. He didnt shoot it for months. Way later ran up to me in hallway at work and excitedly proclaimed that it was the best shooting muzzleloader he ever had.

Told him it was a good one when I sold it. Guess he thought I was lying.

I dont pass along problems, on anything.
    How many ex wife's do you have again?

2500ekW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    This is why, unless someone is in a really tight financial situation, I don’t understand trusting your life to a used gun.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    What do you describe as a problem? Is it actually a reliability issue, defect, safety related or other issue or something you don’t like, trigger to hard, can’t hit the target, etc? I know some people would consider the latter problems when in actuality they are not. Based on one’s knowledge or wants this could differ.

2500ekW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    Knew guns can fail too.
    They're all man-made afterall.

Do you trust your life to a used car?

Used guns have two variables against you: manufacturer defect (could include design flaws) and history (abuse, neglect, mods, undisclosed issues).

Only one of these can be avoided, and the other is mitigated by buying reputable brands.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I bought an Ithaca 49 that broke shortly after I got it, not sure if that was an issue passed along or just a coincidence. I bought a first Gen sub2k that was junk. I don't think the seller knew but when I passed it along to the next owner it was at a loss and I was VERY clear about its issues.

As for trusting new guns vs used guns, they're all used after the first mag but I get your point. Much like having a trusted mechanic look over a used car before you get it, you can always have an armorer look at it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Used guns have two variables against you: manufacturer defect (could include design flaws) and history (abuse, neglect, mods, undisclosed issues).

Only one of these can be avoided, and the other is mitigated by buying reputable brands.
    How many "reputable brand" firearms have had recalls?
    Ruger
    Remington
    Colt
    Marlin
    Savage

Hmmm
    Seems like it's possible to buy a reputable brand lemon too.
    If you aren't familiar enough with a particular firearm at the time of considered purchase it might be a wise idea to reconsider your parameters.

"A man's got to know his limitations"

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Limiting yourself to only new guns cuts off a very wide pool of carry choices. Only a couple of my Sigs are new, yet all are as reliable as the day they rolled off the line. Good luck in finding a P229 brand new in .357 Sig.

Don't be afraid of used guns. Just know what your looking at and know what it's value is or should be. It's like shopping for a used car.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a couple handguns in the safe that I won't sell. It's not because I like them, but because they don't run well. If I do eventually need to let them go, it would be with a full disclosure of the issue. The closest I've come to selling a problem gun was when I sold an old HiPower to a friend. That gun always ran fine for me, but he bought it for his wife and said that it didn't cycle well for her. I tried to buy it back but he was determined to fix it or figure it out himself. I don't know if the issue was limp wristing or something else. It had fresh springs in it when I sold it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JTINDY59
    Top Bottom