• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    My big problem with their actions was that it was apparently a bank-owned vacant house which was for sale. It isn't like their neighbors were on vacation and they knew no one was supposed to be there.

Bank owned properties which are for sale have tons of people, included but not limited to realtor, bank reps, HUD reps, potential buyers, and actual buyers, who legitimately belong there. You can't go pointing guns at them.

If this was an occupied house where you knew the owners, that is one thing. This on the otherhand was just stupid and dangerous IMO.

These two are going to be lucky not to come out of this as convicts.

Joe

No, the big problem was that they didn't stand down when the elderly couple surely told them they owned the house, and they continued on to criminal confinement. If they would've said, "Whoops, sorry" instead of keeping them at gunpoint until the police arrived, thinking they would get a reward or something, then they probably would not have been charged for just checking out something suspicious. Common sense.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Those 2 clowns are lucky they weren't shot. What if your lock was just giving you problems when you are trying to open the door? I'll be damned if someone comes up on my back with a gun drawn on MY property, guaranteed ticket to be shot.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    What a couple of dip$#!%s! Just call the police, you don't hold an elderly couple at gunpoint, especially when they told you they own the home. Did they think no one would ever own it again?

I see some of the points made about good neighbors and all, but these dudes are dumb, straight up.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Those 2 clowns are lucky they weren't shot. What if your lock was just giving you problems when you are trying to open the door? I'll be damned if someone comes up on my back with a gun drawn on MY property, guaranteed ticket to be shot.

Not to crap on your statement but if they or he " come up on your back with a gun drawn" you are screwed with a cherry on top.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Okay, maybe a few people here need to review the IC before they intervene in a possible break-in, or other situations as well.

Or don't. See how much slack the police and prosecutor cut you when you go charging in pointing guns in similar situations.

Check the IC, there is no defense entitled "Ignorance of the Law."

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    No, the big problem was that they didn't stand down when the elderly couple surely told them they owned the house, and they continued on to criminal confinement. If they would've said, "Whoops, sorry" instead of keeping them at gunpoint until the police arrived, thinking they would get a reward or something, then they probably would not have been charged for just checking out something suspicious. Common sense.

The big problem was that they were pointing firearms, that presumably were loaded (what idiot would point an unloaded gun in this situation). "Whoops" ain't gonna cut it. We're talking felony here.

Now they could have, but didn't, simply walked up carrying their guns, and politely enquired what was going on. Or they could have called 911. If they lived in the area, one would presume they knew the house was unoccupied, hence no imminent threat to human life.

They seem to be headed for butt-hurt. Figuratively speaking.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    What a couple of dip$#!%s! Just call the police, you don't hold an elderly couple at gunpoint, especially when they told you they own the home. Did they think no one would ever own it again?

I see some of the points made about good neighbors and all, but these dudes are dumb, straight up.

So very true. If the gentleman in Florida had listened to the dispatcher, stayed in his vehicle and waited for the police, a young man would still be alive and he wouldn't be charged with murder.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Well said once again Kirk.
    Also I hear people say that they can do citizen arrests, that's just BS.
    Yes there is such a thing as a citizen arrest but that doesn't make you a xop and you cant arrest "suspicious" people until the real police shows up.
    You can go to jail for kidnapping if you do silly things like that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    From what I read the Canole's did not know the neighbors or that the house had been purchased. It said the "Thursday night" so I am assuming it was after sunset that the new owners parents went to change the locks. The Canole's heard the commotion, grabbed their guns and went to check it out, found two people they thought were trying to break into the house and held them there until police arrived. I do not see that they did anything wrong. Maybe some of you do not realize but forclosed homes are prime picking for thieves these days. I would think that although they may not appreciate what happened and how it happened they would at least appreciate that they have neighbors who are willing to look out for them. Sounds like something a handshake and cookout could fix real easy. If anybody is at fault it should be the police for arresting the parents and not trying to verify their story.

C'mon dude, really?

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    They were trying to stop what they believed to be a break in into a forclosed home. Who goes to change locks on a house that was just purchased at night? I know of several empty homes in my area that have been completely stripped of all copper, counter tops, some even carpet and doors. I would say from the article apparently the police originally believed that the neighbors did the right thing. Like I said they certainly could have handled it better in hindsight. Do they deserve felonies and years of jail time though? Absolutely not. They made a honest mistake simply trying to do the right thing. Nobody was harmed.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    They were trying to stop what they believed to be a break in into a forclosed home. Who goes to change locks on a house that was just purchased at night? I know of several empty homes in my area that have been completely stripped of all copper, counter tops, some even carpet and doors. I would say from the article apparently the police originally believed that the neighbors did the right thing. Like I said they certainly could have handled it better in hindsight. Do they deserve felonies and years of jail time though? Absolutely not. They made a honest mistake simply trying to do the right thing. Nobody was harmed.
    Ya know..Georgia's a lot like Indiana in one regard. It doesn't get dark till 9 o'clock at night now. There was plenty of light out there to see for a quick thing like a lock job. It wasn't like they were changing these locks in the middle of the night. These yahoos deserve jail time. They were playing at being cops and now they're gonna get what they deserve.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Be careful in who you point a loaded gun at to detain them. Stopping a felony is ok. However, you need to make sure the crime is a felony. If it is not, YOU could be slapped with the felonies. Breaking into a vacant house and leaving with property from inside is burglary (duh). However, just breaking into a vacant house is misdemeanor trespass. The house MUST be lived in for the charge of residential entry (felony) to be made. Also, finding owners to vacants is extremely difficult. For a charge to work, we must have the property owner. No owner=no charges.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

Um, the homeowners who were held against their will at gunpoint absolutely were harmed. They were further harmed when they were arrested and incarcerated for having the temerity to be one their own property.

Joe

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'd be aware of someone walking onto my property... Situational awareness :)

Right up until they snuck up and got the drop on you while you were busy trying to change a lock.

We all think our situational awareness is infallible until it clearly isn't.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    What I wanna know is was there anyone wearing a hoodie?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Let's see.
    Protecting someone's life. No.
    Stopping a violent felony. No.
    Protecting their house or curtelige (sp?). No.

So how did they do nothing wrong?

Top Bottom