• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think the easy solution would be for Aimpoint to provide as a "tester" an unglassed Aimpoint body to mount to your rifle and see how you like it. Once you found it worked for you, you could order the real deal. I'm guessing that the price to do that would be.... oh, just guessing, about 10% the cost of the Aimpoint.

Six of one, √36 of the other.

If I had a need for a micro-pseudoholster, I would order the VanGuard without either a hesitation or a second thought, even if the knockoff was half the price.

Blessings,
    Bill

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think there is also a difference between a clone and a knockoff. A Clone is usually out after the patent has worn off or the product has been out for a while and improved. The clone is usually similar to the original design.

I think a knockoff tries to piggy back on a brand new idea and profit before the original company notices or tries to sue for patent infringment. If there was no patent, then that kind of sucks and eventually the better product will prevail.

:twocents:

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It sucks to have your idea stolen and feel ripped off. Whether its a "clone", cheap knockoff, or a valid improvement, all varieties will come to the market based on a good idea. In a free market society it is up to the consumer to decide who stays and who goes. It is up to the manufacturer to hone and market their product to appeal to consumers. Imitation is "flattery" they say, but maybe it just means... "hey guy, I just made a competitive product at 1/3 the price, maybe you need to step it up." There are a lot of manufacturers that seem to rest on their laurels of a good product, they are also the same that are copied and undercut. It is in the nature of a free market society that this becomes true. I realize that this thread is about Shay, and his idea getting sniped, but it has became much more. By the mindset of some of this thread we would all be driving the same car because the guy that invented it is the only one allowed to produce it. If it was not for competition we would not have 1/2 of the things we have now. 1. because we could not afford it 2. It would not exist. Sure for the most part, made in China sucks, but how many of you own are watching the Colts game today on a US, idealized, engineered, and produced Television?:dunno:

Last edited:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Remy you are right. I could care less about clones, copies, and so forth.. Buy what you will, but think about the broader impact of such ideas. It does create a diverse array of items for us to buy. I am glad I can look at a bunch of companies that produce a similar product to allow me a consumer to find which one fits both my budget and needs. I won't bad mouth one company because they'll do it cheaper. I will hesitate if I see one who is literally stealing someone's specific concept.. I don't care for Bushmaster or Colt, so I am glad there are others out there.

Not a colts fan, but I will end up watching the game with my son, cause unfortunately he is.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    In reference to the Aimpoint knockoffs, Aimpoint didn't invent the red dot sight. They invented the circuitry that sets them apart. If the clone makers don't claim to have copied the Aimpoint circuitry, then IMHO they are simply offering a low-cost RDS...that happens to appear similar to an Aimpoint...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    In reference to the Aimpoint knockoffs, Aimpoint didn't invent the red dot sight. They invented the circuitry that sets them apart. If the clone makers don't claim to have copied the Aimpoint circuitry, then IMHO they are simply offering a low-cost RDS...that happens to appear similar to an Aimpoint...

All that said, I have both. I can't justify a $400 optic on a .22lr fun gun...

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ha. my clone went to my marlin 25. For my current needs, Irons on the AR's will more than fit the bill. I own a clone from PA. I implore an INGO member to do a side by side comparison of a Primary Arms clone vs. Aimpoint. We all know who's likely to win, but I think it will be interesting. Aimpoint IS warranted to be more durable, so submersion, sandstorm.... is ineligible in this test. I work on cars for a living so I cannot afford a real aimpoint at this time, but for those of you that own both.... put em' on the street.... prove the clones are junk to the everyman.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    So, just add this tag to your Intellectual Property Post:

" © 2010, BiggShooter " (or whoever you are.) And send a copy to yourself via your other e-mail address. Time, date-stamp included for free. Pat.

U.S. Const., Art. I, sec. 8, cl. 6

The Congress shall have Power.....To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I think making a correlation between consumer actions/purchases to business actions is simply wrong.

Because Consumer A doesn't want to pay $X for Company A's product, but is willing to pay $Y for Company B's clone. Doesn't make the fact Company B infringed on company A's patents somehow ok, or better.

Company B violated law(s). Consumer A simply purchased a product at a price he/she/it was willing to pay.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If I may paraphrase, one shouldn't feel a moral imperative to defend the patent of someone who should be doing it themselves.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You lost me at the price tag. $20 for a few grams of plastic and 8" of 550 cord. I can buy an entire comptac holster for less than $60 and it has 10 times the plastic in it.

Chalk me up to the free market crowd as well. If your product is superior, the market will reward it.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    You lost me at the price tag. $20 for a few grams of plastic and 8" of 550 cord. I can buy an entire comptac holster for less than $60 and it has 10 times the plastic in it.

Chalk me up to the free market crowd as well. If your product is superior, the market will reward it.

Different aplications

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Different aplications

I don't care that they are different applications. I as a customer can see that there is considerably more than 3 times the material and workmanship in a complete $60 holster than that $20 flap of plastic that covers a trigger guard.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Wouldn't the fact that Sharktac is charging more than Raven just make it that much easier for Raven to get more sales?

The overwhelming majority of those who go to the 1500 all start at one end of the building and work their way back to the other end. I don't know the table arrangements for every 1500 but at the last one, 90% of the people would have walked by Raven's tables before Sharktac's tables. Why would a customer see the price at the Raven table and then pay more at Sharktac's unless they wanted to?

Someone else mentioned Sharktac has a hot chick working their table. Yes, she's hot and I enjoy looking at her just as much as the rest of you but using a hot chick to sell me crap turns me off to that particular business. Sell me your stuff on the merits of your products and customer service. Don't whore your female workers out to make a sale. I'm smart enough not to make a purchase based on the direction of my blood flow.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Well, it sounds like people don't think your product is worth what you're asking for it and others can manufacture it for less than you. Sucks.

Top Bottom