Out of Curiosity - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words... But 2.5 Billion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    I for one am glad there is the the drive to explore space .... :yesway: just like there was the drive to explore land and ocean ...alot of great and wonderful things and places and science have been found from exploring..and many great men and women have lost there lives doing what they love to do........i guess some want the dark ages back maybe stop all science:mullet:
    in the field of exploring.......the op sounds like a grumpy old man sitting on his porch complaining .........:dunno:

Are solar system is like a grain of sand on a huge beach ...............if you think we are the only kind life in this universe your not as smart as you think you are ....and think of the sacrifice that people have paid with money, time, and lives ............wait if it wasn't for people who explored in are past you wouldn't be able to be on that porch like a grumpy old man reading your the world is flat map...:patriot:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I for one am glad there is the the drive to explore space .... :yesway: just like there was the drive to explore land and ocean ...alot of great and wonderful things and places and science have been found from exploring..and many great men and women have lost there lives doing what they love to do........i guess some want the dark ages back maybe stop all science:mullet:
    in the field of exploring.......the op sounds like a grumpy old man sitting on his porch complaining .........:dunno:

Are solar system is like a grain of sand on a huge beach ...............if you think we are the only kind life in this universe your not as smart as you think you are ....and think of the sacrifice that people have paid with money, time, and lives ............wait if it wasn't for people who explored in are past you wouldn't be able to be on that porch like a grumpy old man reading your the world is flat map...:patriot:

Just got to love it when folks result to personal insults.

Are solar system is like a grain of sand on a huge beach
    Profound. (yes, a thinly veiled insult).

Science should be based on fact. Not supposition. People assume that there simply MUST be life outside of Earth because they presume that we are here simply by chance.

Even if I thought this mission was worthwhile, at the current budget NASA's getting, we'll never get to do more than send probes like this into space anyway. Looking forward, with the way this country's going, there's not going to be the funding to get to Mars. It all needs to go to private enterprise. So if the government would get out of the way, maybe something really worth while will happen. Until then, we'll continue to get these boondoggles.

Citizen711

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Fishers
    I personally believe that Space, ALL space outside of the Earth is sterile. Even if there were life in space, why do we assume that some would be more intelligent than us?

Well, for one, I believe our galaxy is one of the younger galaxies known to us. Younger galaxy = less advanced life forms.

Secondly, if we entertain the possibility that even a sliver of a percentage of UFO reports have any basis at all in fact, that would lead to the logical conclusion that some race somewhere is advanced enough to seek us out, while we can't get anyone past the Earth's moon.

Lastly, I've seen enough of the human race to hope and pray that any life we find elsewhere will be much more advanced. I've just gotta believe.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Science should be based on fact. Not supposition. People assume that there simply MUST be life outside of Earth because they presume that we are here simply by chance.
    But that's not what science is. Science is THE study, the pursuit of the fact. If it were fact, we would already know it, and there'd be no need for further study. So, in reality, all science is predicated on suppositions. Or perhaps more accurately: questions.

What happens when I do this?

Why does ___________ do that?

How do I __________ from _____ and ________?

Facts are the destination, science is the journey. Science can't be based on fact because we get our facts from science.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    But that's not what science is. Science is THE study, the pursuit of the fact. If it were fact, we would already know it, and there'd be no need for further study. So, in reality, all science is predicated on suppositions. Or perhaps more accurately: questions.

What happens when I do this?

Why does ___________ do that?

How do I __________ from _____ and ________?

Facts are the destination, science is the journey. Science can't be based on fact because we get our facts from science.

Science IS based on fact. We begin with what we know, form a hypothesis based on the known facts then seek to either prove or disprove the hypothesis with empirical data (that which can be proven to be or not be fact). To say that facts are not involved in science puts it in the realm of divination or other pseudoscience (science NOT based on fact).

The problem is that the supposition that there must be life outside the bounds of earth is based on hope (which makes it more like a religion). There simply is no credible evidence AT ALL that there is life out there. We're just trying to use logic:

Since we're here, there must be more out there.

Last edited:

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I personally believe that Space, ALL space outside of the Earth is sterile. Even if there were life in space, why do we assume that some would be more intelligent than us?

Considering that there are an infinite number of galaxies out there, and all it takes is for one planet to be the proper distance from it's sun to create life, the odds are that other forms of life exist.

Why would they be more intelligent? I'd assume that they're civilization is much older and evolved than ours. They MUST be more intelligent if they have the ability to navigate and explore space. We've only been in the space game for 70-ish years.

As I understand the big theory... Think of space and all the galaxies as revolving circle within a room. The universe is always contracting or expanding within this room. It has already expanded out to the walls, and is currently contracting back to it's core. Earth's time to support life (proper temperature) is but a milli-second in this grand scheme.

See how far we've come from assuming that the earth was the center off the universe?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Just one more of this guy for tonight:

INGOaliens.jpg

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Considering that there are an infinite number of galaxies out there, and all it takes is for one planet to be the proper distance from it's sun to create life, the odds are that other forms of life exist.

Why would they be more intelligent? I'd assume that they're civilization is much older and evolved than ours. They MUST be more intelligent if they have the ability to navigate and explore space. We've only been in the space game for 70-ish years.

As I understand the big theory... Think of space and all the galaxies as revolving circle within a room. The universe is always contracting or expanding within this room. It has already expanded out to the walls, and is currently contracting back to it's core. Earth's time to support life (proper temperature) is but a milli-second in this grand scheme.

See how far we've come from assuming that the earth was the center off the universe?

Your logic is sound and it's a great hypothesis except that the number of galaxies cannot be infinite.

But look at the earth. If were just a little closer, we'd burn off all the water, farther back, we'd freeze, without the current tilt of the axis some areas of the earth would be in permanent darkeness..... That these conditions exist is a fantastic combination of "random chance" don't you think? Do you realize that our moon is just EXAXTLY the right size and in the right position to just be able to block out the sun? What are the odds of that? No other planet in the solar system has that arrangement.

The ALIEN dude keeps getting amazed at the ancient structures on the planet. ... Man the whole planet must have been created by aliens.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Your logic is sound and it's a great hypothesis except that the number of galaxies cannot be infinite.

But look at the earth. If were just a little closer, we'd burn off all the water, farther back, we'd freeze, without the current tilt of the axis some areas of the earth would be in permanent darkeness..... That these conditions exist is a fantastic combination of "random chance" don't you think? Do you realize that our moon is just EXAXTLY the right size and in the right position to just be able to block out the sun? What are the odds of that? No other planet in the solar system has that arrangement.

The ALIEN dude keeps getting amazed at the ancient structures on the planet. ... Man the whole planet must have been created by aliens.

You are absolutely correct. The earth is in the perfect place for life...right now. We are at that point in it's revolution where the temperature is perfect, but that is a finite amount of time. It wasn't always that way, and it won't stay that way forever. Our revolution is spinning us closer to the center (sun) every time around. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    But look at the earth. If were just a little closer, we'd burn off all the water, farther back, we'd freeze, without the current tilt of the axis some areas of the earth would be in permanent darkeness.....
    I think you're assuming that the earth stays in the same revolution path forever? It doesn't.

No other planet in the solar system has that arrangement.

Very true. But if there are a million other solar systems, I'd be willing to bet that at least one in a million achieves the same arrangement.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    You are absolutely correct. The earth is in the perfect place for life...right now. We are at that point in it's revolution where the temperature is perfect, but that is a finite amount of time. It wasn't always that way, and it won't stay that way forever. Our revolution is spinning us closer to the center (sun) every time around. Enjoy it while it lasts.

:dunno:

Ok... I will enjoy it?
    I'm not sure what your point is.

And whether or not you're willing to bet that that there is life somewhere out there. What does that have to do with anything?

Top Bottom