Out of Curiosity - A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words... But 2.5 Billion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    NASA has managed to more than pay back what they've taken, in terms of advancing science. Not a fan of .gov stealing money from anyone, but at least NASA returns something useful. From fighting breast cancer, providing rescue tools to the latest in Speedo's.

wtfnasa?

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Imagine that. Why would life be exclusive to earth?

The portion of the universe we can see is over 10 billion light years across.
    There are 100's of billions of galaxies, and for those galaxies there are 100's of billions of stars in each and planets for each star.

The number of possible inhabitable planets can not be comprehended.
    It is truly staggering. The universe is an endless expanse.
    Lets say the entire universe is in a box, what is outside of that box?

Philosophically:
    Why in vanity do we assume all of this was created for us?
    As far as ever contacting other life, are we supposed to?
    The universe is ever expanding as well, maybe we are always to be kept out of reach of one another.

Bravo.

Water = Life ;)

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Mackey, I think I know where your beliefs are coming from, but you aren't saying. Let's see if I can post a statement you'd agree with:

"I believe in the big bang. God created it and BANG it happened!"

Am I right?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Well, foregoing all of the bashing that has taken place in this thread..... I will comment to the OP....

I for one, am highly excited about even a boring photo like you have posted and the money spent to me is worth every penny. The human race has since the dawn of time taken to exploration. The early Cro Magnon Man migrated thousands upon thousands of miles in search of new habitats and food sources. Vikings, The Spanish, English, all set out to find strange new worlds. It is in our DNA to explore and find interesting new things. When you were a kid did you ever get together with friends and go check out a patch of woods/forest, or an old abandoned house? I did all the time....it was exciting, scary, and fulfilling all at the same time. You never knew what you were going to find, be it nothing at all, some "treasure", or some trouble... that was part of the excitement. So, when I see things like this or read about it I get excited... damn the attitudes, science talk, and religious baffle.......live for the moment, and the excitement of things you might come across.

This is me. This mission opens the doors to human inhabitants on Mars.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK

2877157_460s.jpg

MACKEY IS A MARTIAN!!!!!!!!!
    He knows we are on to him!!!
    Where's Slim Whitman when you need him?!?!?!!??
    :runaway:

I, for one, can't wait until we find Unobtainium on Pandora. That is going to floating ROCK!!

FTFY ;)

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Interesting. You claim moral high ground because someone called you a name, then you turn around and gratuitously insult someone else. You're on my ignore list, Mackey, you little worm.

HELLO
    It was a joke. I was up at the same time posting as the person I was referring to.
    Lighten up.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    As riveting as all of this back and forth conversation has been. I greatly enjoy this comment.

You realize that by posting at roughly the same time in the morning as person you quoted you're insulting yourself here, too, right?

I mean... right?

It's called a joke?
    Man people are tightly wound up.

I'm wondering if people can disagree without hating.

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fireblade
    I for one am glad there is the the drive to explore space .... :yesway: just like there was the drive to explore land and ocean ...alot of great and wonderful things and places and science have been found from exploring..and many great men and women have lost there lives doing what they love to do........i guess some want the dark ages back maybe stop all science:mullet:
    in the field of exploring.......the op sounds like a grumpy old man sitting on his porch complaining .........:dunno:

Are solar system is like a grain of sand on a huge beach ...............if you think we are the only kind life in this universe your not as smart as you think you are ....and think of the sacrifice that people have paid with money, time, and lives ............wait if it wasn't for people who explored in are past you wouldn't be able to be on that porch like a grumpy old man reading your the world is flat map...:patriot:

Just got to love it when folks result to personal insults.

Profound. (yes, a thinly veiled insult).

Science should be based on fact. Not supposition. People assume that there simply MUST be life outside of Earth because they presume that we are here simply by chance.

Even if I thought this mission was worthwhile, at the current budget NASA's getting, we'll never get to do more than send probes like this into space anyway. Looking forward, with the way this country's going, there's not going to be the funding to get to Mars. It all needs to go to private enterprise. So if the government would get out of the way, maybe something really worth while will happen. Until then, we'll continue to get these boondoggles.

sorry you feel it was a personal attack was just giving my BOLD opinion which is not the same as yours.....Are nation at one time prided our selfs on are space program........ now we are hitching a ride with the russians ...am just tired of the complainers :tantrum: who forgot what made this country great ..... here a example of some great people who dared to explore space............:patriot:

Virgil Grissom
    Ed White II
    Roger Chaffee

Francis Scobee
    Michael Smith
    Ellison Onizuka
    Ronald McNair
    Judith Resnik
    Gregory Jarvis
    S. Christa McAuliffe

Rick Husband
    William McCool
    David Brown
    Kalpana Chawla
    Michael Anderson
    Laurel Clark
    Ilan Ramon

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The thing we need to really watch out for, while terraforming planets is that we don't accidentally create any reevers.

That would suck.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The thing we need to really watch out for, while terraforming planets is that we don't accidentally create any reevers.

That would suck.

I think you've mixed up your canon, Browncoat. Reivers were inadvertently created as the result of an attempt to drug the aggressiveness out of Miranda's population. Another cautionary tale, if anyone is willing to listen.

Top Bottom