Organizing an OC event in Indy! Stand up for your Rights!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    There will be no crowding around. This will have safety as the top priority. Pistols can be chambered but not, I REPEAT NOT THE RIFLES!!!!

There must be no "Showing Off" your piece and no fumbling of the rifles. Leave them slung over your shoulder. We're all adults here. If you see an unsafe act, correct the person. Be kind. No arguing. No "Mine is better than yours."

Any unsafe handling of firearms and you will be asked to leave.

I agree. Also, if you watch the second video posted, where you actually here the guy carrying talking, he never once starts to remove the rifle from being slung over his shoulder. He does not even turn around so they can get a better look. When asked what it is, he simply replies.

I talk a lot about tactics but for events like this there is also the Logistics aspect.

Note: all of the below is my opinion. No more, no less.

In planning, you need to consider parking. If people have to arrive individually, park individually, and make their way individually to the meeting/starting point, then you have a number of individuals who, at some point will be walking around by themselves. Since walking around downtown with a rifle is going to be new to many people they will likely feel uncomfortable about it. Make it easy for people. Have a defined parking area where people have the moral support of others from the moment they get out of their car. Alternately, arrange for parking away from the event and carpooling down. The easier you make it for people, the more likely you are to have a better turnout.

Also, I would say no rounds chambered in the long arms. It's not that an accident is likely, it's the cost of having an accident happen. While many people object to the "no loaded guns" rules at venues like the Indy1500, they are their for very good reasons. I used to complain about the apparent hypocrisy of those positions until I read the article "Gun Show Common Sense" by Michael Z. Williamson. Same thing applies here. If an AD/ND happens at the range, at your home, or in the field, that's anything from a scare to a tragedy. If one happens here[/] it's a disaster.

Carry weapons loaded and chambered, fine. Just make sure they stay in the holsters (please no "Mexican carry") again, what would be an "accident" anywhere else would be a disaster here.

I propose that if the gun is not properly slung or holstered it is not carried, period. Past that accident aspect, think retention. If my sidearm is holstered with one chambered you must get it out of the holster before you can fire it.

If an AR or AK is slung and one is chambered, one could more easily grab the grip, flip the safety and pop a round off.

How about we set up a meeting some night this week or weekend for everyone to come and discuss. Preferably a place that has Free Wifi so we can message with others who can't make the FTF.

Also, if I missed your commitment to come and your name isn't listed in the OP, let me know so I can update it. Remember though, names listed are those who are truly committed to this. Not the maybes. If you're a maybe I can make a seperate list I guess.

Any night but Friday works for me. We could use my house, I have internet if we need to.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    But there are a lot of people that won't know if they can attend unless they know a date and time.

The date and time will be given ahead of time to those committed to going. It just won't be discussed in the open public thread.

As for the Long Guns and being chambered. It's a big fat NO. I'd ALMOST prefer the magazines be unloaded, but then what's the point? As long as it's not chambered, no one can run up and pull the trigger.

And if the rifle is to be unslung, say something first and it better be to adjust the sling position. It'll be a little bit of a walk and I'm sure it'll get a bit uncomfortable for those not used to slinging a long gun.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I got a parent teacher conference to get ready for I'll be back in a couple hours. Please don't let the thread get derailed. I'd like for this one to actually "stay the course".

Mel-Gibson---The-Patriot-Photograph-C12148631.jpg

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Very interested! Will be according to the date but I will be there if possible!

Just thought of something! Would love to have the wife (has permit) and at least oldest grandson there also (age 14, no permit no carry of course) to be involved in the act of patriotism!

Thoughts?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    The date and time will be given ahead of time to those committed to going.
    How can you commit to go unless you know when? Me for instance...I have set days off that rotate each week...and it's very difficult for me to get time off unless I know quite some time before hand. Lots of us work weekends and would need to make plans ahead of time. We don't have bankers hours Monday thru Friday. Right now there are only very limited days I can get off. Any trade days I request would have to be done in the same pay period. I'm just saying...

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Very interested! Will be according to the date but I will be there if possible!

Just thought of something! Would love to have the wife (has permit) and at least oldest grandson there also (age 14, no permit no carry of course) to be involved in the act of patriotism!

Thoughts?

I don't see any problem with this. I think it will be beneficial to have females and young ones there with us as well.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    How can you commit to go unless you know when? Me for instance...I have set days off that rotate each week...and it's very difficult for me to get time off unless I know quite some time before hand. Lots of us work weekends and would need to make plans ahead of time. We don't have bankers hours Monday thru Friday. Right now there are only very limited days I can get off. Any trade days I request would have to be done in the same pay period. I'm just saying...

Most of the posts here are "conditional" on being able to get the time available (work isn't the only responsibility folk have). I suspect those conditional "commitments" are what he was referring to.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN

Since this is Savage's baby, we should follow his lead. However I would not be apposed to posting a date and rough time. Indy is a large place, we would not announce where we were doing this. We could even have a few options so if we find out that someone is trying to throw a wrench at us we can dodge it.

The logistics will be difficult if we are not all on the same page. Thoughts savage?

I don't see any problem with this. I think it will be beneficial to have females and young ones there with us as well.

+1

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    But there are a lot of people that won't know if they can attend unless they know a date and time.

Agreed.

I would recommend keeping a list of the people who are interested & have a sizable amount of posts which indicate they're on the side of Liberty.

Once a date is decided (chosen by convenience for the core group of organizers & likelihood of high visibility), then send PMs to those individuals who remain on the groomed list.

I can't think of another or better way to go about this. If we simply post the date, then be ready for lib-tards to show up to derail the event. Just picture people in factory-torn jeans, t-shirts with trendy logos, and NERF guns jeering & blocking our progression.

An OC flash-mob, or what could be perceived as one would be the best imo.

I'm picturing us parking at 8 separate locations all around the circle & converging upon it for maximum interest & visibility. Then, unless the circle monument is controlled by Parks & Rec, encircling it. Nobody saying anything, just standing there at attention with our long guns slung over our shoulders & sidearms on our hips, saluting the flag & the Soldiers' & Sailors' Monument. The visual impact of that would make more of a statement than 100 poster-boards on sticks.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Agreed.

I would recommend keeping a list of the people who are interested & have a sizable amount of posts which indicate they're on the side of Liberty.

Once a date is decided (chosen by convenience for the core group of organizers & likelihood of high visibility), then send PMs to those individuals who remain on the groomed list.

I can't think of another or better way to go about this. If we simply post the date, then be ready for lib-tards to show up to derail the event. Just picture people in factory-torn jeans, t-shirts with trendy logos, and NERF guns jeering & blocking our progression.

An OC flash-mob, or what could be perceived as one would be the best imo.

I'm picturing us parking at 8 separate locations all around the circle & converging upon it for maximum interest & visibility. Then, unless the circle monument is controlled by Parks & Rec, encircling it. Nobody saying anything, just standing there at attention with our long guns slung over our shoulders & sidearms on our hips, saluting the flag & the Soldiers' & Sailors' Monument. The visual impact of that would make more of a statement than 100 poster-boards on sticks.

This is also a good idea. I do hate to say well if you dont have X amount of posts you cannot be in on it, etc....but we may be forced.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Most of the posts here are "conditional" on being able to get the time available (work isn't the only responsibility folk have). I suspect those conditional "commitments" are what he was referring to.
    I understand...but for me work is the only plans that cannot be changed at the last minute. Anything else I can rearrange. It's almost impossible for some people...me included...to adjust my work schedule without quite a bit of lead time. And I DO NOT call in sick.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    There will be no crowding around. This will have safety as the top priority. Pistols can be chambered but not, I REPEAT NOT THE RIFLES!!!!

There must be no "Showing Off" your piece and no fumbling of the rifles. Leave them slung over your shoulder. We're all adults here. If you see an unsafe act, correct the person. Be kind. No arguing. No "Mine is better than yours."

Any unsafe handling of firearms and you will be asked to leave.

LOL, so we can fumble around with our loaded pistols that are to dangerous to take out of a holster and let a police officer hold?

Asked to leave by whom? I thought the whole point was it's a public place and every one has the absolute legal right to be there with a weapon?

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Agreed.

I love the Monument idea.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    OK...well when you decide...let the rest of us know a couple of days ahead of time so some of us less fortunate working stiffs ;) can try to adjust schedules. I think you're going to cut yourselves out of a lot of support announcing this last minute. But I understand. :dunno: I just don't agree. As I said...what is being proposed is completely legal.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I'm Down, I'll be carrying my Grandpa's Mossy 500

I'm also gonna be posting this event to my facebook and inviting as many people as i can.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    LOL, so we can fumble around with our loaded pistols that are to dangerous to take out of a holster and let a police officer hold?

Asked to leave by whom? I thought the whole point was it's a public place and every one has the absolute legal right to be there with a weapon?

I think it is obvious since we have already stated that pistols should stay holstered, this is no different than you normal carry gun!

Asked to leave by whom? Me, Savage, others. If you at the range and someone sweeps you, do you just let it go or ask them not to? It is the point that it's a public place and everyone has the absolute legal right to be there, however it is our duty as gunowners to ensure proper firearm handling, ESPECIALLY IN PUBLIC!!!

Top Bottom