Opinions and info wanted on 12ga home defense rounds.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I currently have my 12ga shotgun loaded with a mixture of #4 game loads and 00 Buck. In the tube I have #4, 00, #4, 00, 00, #4. With extra #4s in the side saddle. I've been reading about home defense, and I'm looking at replacing the current rounds with something else. Any one have any insight, opinions, suggestions?

FYI, I have a couple areas in my house that are 36 feet (12 yards), but for the most part it would be a close quarters situation.

These are some that I am looking at.

Fiocchi 00 Buck, High Velocity
    Ammunition To Go : 100rds - 12 gauge Fiocchi High Velocity Nickel Plated Buckshot [12HVOOBK] - $53.95

Fiocchi 00 Buck, Low Recoil
    Ammunition To Go : 100rds - 12 Gauge Fiocchi Reduced Recoil Nickel Plated 00 Buck [12LE00BK] - $53.95

NobleSport #4 Buck
    Ammunition To Go : 100rds - 12 gauge NobelSport Law Enforcement #4 Buckshot - $58.95

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Federal is all I have ever used in my shotguns. It has been good reliable ammo for me for quite a few years. Right now my Benelli is loaded with Federal's Premium Vital-Shok Low Recoil 00 Buckshot.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I will have to dig for the link again, but what I had read said nothing less than #1 buckshot for personal defense.

The same site recommended reduced recoil standard rather than magnum loads for close quarters.

#4 shot was only recommended in the case of the rounds with tungsten balls rather than steel or lead.

I'll see if I can dig up the link. Which included Ballistics Gel data for each of the loads from a 18" shot barrel at a fixed distance.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I also remember hearing a few instructors talking about #1 Buck being the smallest shot they would recommend for self defense.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I will have to dig for the link again, but what I had read said nothing less than #1 buckshot for personal defense.

The same site recommended reduced recoil standard rather than magnum loads for close quarters.

#4 shot was only recommended in the case of the rounds with tungsten balls rather than steel or lead.

I'll see if I can dig up the link. Which included Ballistics Gel data for each of the loads from a 18" shot barrel at a fixed distance.
    Thanks. I've read that at close range a 000 shot is no different than a small game load, and they both act similar to a slug. I also read that the #1 buck is the most effective out of all the sizes of buckshot. I have seen the #4 buck suggested as a good home defense round, but this is the internet and everyone has their opinions.

I found a comparison with the NobelSport that I posted. The #4 spread to a 12x15 inch square at 15 yards and their 00 spread to an 8 inch square at 15 yards.

I think I have decided on a low recoil 00, but keep the information coming.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    what are your thoughts on alternating 00 with slugs for knockdown?

In a home, or densely populated area, it's a terrible idea.

slugs are BAD over penetrators. Also, at 20' 9x 9mm pellets have a lot more mass than a single 12gauge slug. The area they hit is larger, but not the "scattergun" effect we see on TV.

I'm thinking #4 tungsten bird shot first, followed by 3 rounds of OO
    although, if Tazer ever releases the XREP.....
    YouTube - Future Weapons - TASER's XREP
    I'll likely load 2 of those first, with 2 OO behind them.

dcarfly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Thanks for the insite W9. Had always figured that if someone had a form of body armor on that a slug center mass would either knock them down or at the very least slow them down to a crawl!

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    After doing a lot of reading, bird shot is for birds. I've decided to go with the Ficocchi 00 Buck, Low Recoil.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    while it may be true that birdshot is for birds, i don't think you can rule out 4, 6 or even 8 shot for the first couple of rounds for 12g home defense. at in the house ranges, the shot pattern is small enough to deliver most of the energy and you stand less of a chance of overpenetration.

of course if your house has rooms the size of a small gymnasium....

just food for thought. i have put the 12g away in favor of an ar15 for home defense. carbine, white light, reddot and m193 does it for me.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    while it may be true that birdshot is for birds, i don't think you can rule out 4, 6 or even 8 shot for the first couple of rounds for 12g home defense. at in the house ranges, the shot pattern is small enough to deliver most of the energy and you stand less of a chance of overpenetration.

of course if your house has rooms the size of a small gymnasium....

just food for thought. i have put the 12g away in favor of an ar15 for home defense. carbine, white light, reddot and m193 does it for me.
    I agree about the close range effectiveness of birdshot. My shotgun is currently loaded with #4 bird, 00 buck, #4, 00, 00, #4. Since the shotgun is what my girlfriend will grab in the event that someone is in the house, then I would prefer that all the rounds are the same. This way every shot feels about the same and she doesn't go from a kick to an unexpected heavier kick with the next shot (if she needs more than one shot, that is).

Maybe I should build a short barrel AR with a can for home defense.:draw:

dcarfly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    interesting that some are concerned about a 12 ga slug being loosed during a home intrussion in a residential setting. But some talking about using a .223 round in the same setting.
    My H&K tac shotgun has an EoTec sight on it but yet to have installed a light.
    I wonder, much talk has been made in other circles about the effectiveness of "racking" a pump shotgun and the reaction of an intruder. Will charging an AR have the same effect or as most probably do, already have a round in the chamber. So without the associated sounds of loading either style weapon. What is your plans for engaging an intruder?

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    interesting that some are concerned about a 12 ga slug being loosed during a home intrussion in a residential setting. But some talking about using a .223 round in the same setting.
    My H&K tac shotgun has an EoTec sight on it but yet to have installed a light.
    I wonder, much talk has been made in other circles about the effectiveness of "racking" a pump shotgun and the reaction of an intruder. Will charging an AR have the same effect or as most probably do, already have a round in the chamber. So without the associated sounds of loading either style weapon. What is your plans for engaging an intruder?
    Good point. One argument I can see for a rifle/pistol over a shotgun is that a shotgun will have 9 or more objects in the air that you need to be accountable for as opposed to 1 from a rifle/pistol. (With the exception of a slug, obviously)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thanks for the insite W9. Had always figured that if someone had a form of body armor on that a slug center mass would either knock them down or at the very least slow them down to a crawl!

Not to be one to give up, but if the BG is wearing body armor your day is going to get ****** real quick. Common thieves aren't the type of people who wear armor. Seems kinda reminiscent of "‘If Plan A is to take multiple .338 shots to the back, you really need to come up with a Plan B.”

Top Bottom