Opinions and info wanted on 12ga home defense rounds.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcarfly

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Plan for the worst and pray for the best I always say!
    I guess the level of intruder that you may encounter might depend upon what he is wanting from you. And yes, you may just be having a ****** day. But the way I look at it, if a center mass shot doesn't bring them down, it is time to aim for other parts of the body. And my 9 00 buck heading for his/her legs/abdomen. Yep....****** night indeed.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    >>12 ga slug being loosed during a home intrussion in a residential >>setting. But some talking about using a .223 round in the same >>setting.

m193 just about destroys itself in normal building materials reducing the problem of overpenetration yet is still quite effective on soft tissue.

>>My H&K tac shotgun has an EoTec sight on it but yet to have >>installed a light.

great start. get the light. i find it difficult to hit a target i cannot see.

>>I wonder, much talk has been made in other circles about the >>effectiveness of "racking" a pump shotgun and the reaction of an >>intruder. Will charging an AR have the same effect or as most >>probably do, already have a round in the chamber. So without the >>associated sounds of loading either style weapon. What is your >>plans for engaging an intruder?[/quote]

i've been trained and and train others to issue verbal commands. imho, racking the slide is hollywood. why would i attempt to control my environment with an unloaded firearm? to each his own, but i'll have mine loaded, ready to fire, and issue a verbal command.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    .223 rounds don't penetrate walls like you might think. Look up boxotruth.com (I think that's the site.) It's been shown that most 9mm rounds will make it through drywall with more energy than a .223.

Most handguns at close ranges will drop a guy in body armor. That's not to say it will penetrate and kill, but it should knock the wind out of him. That's why it's a good practice to fire your 2 or 3 rounds or whatever and keep your gun on the fallen bad guy. You won't want to have a Halloween type scenario where after you call the cops from the other room, you come back to find out the bad guy is upstairs raping someone.

The .223 will go through any vest the bad guy is wearing which might be a plus ;)

I don't have a shotgun right now but I do have an AR15. It's short enough to maneuver around the house with but I don't feel it's necessary. What I do rely on is the suppressed 92fs with standard velocity Gold Dots. I'd like to save my ears :)

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Valhalla has a great video on home defense rounds from .22 to 12ga to .223.. Valhalla Shooting Club | Home

they do a test shooting into drywall and show the different rounds penetrating ability. they recommend that you dont use anything that will overpenetrate. so for a 12ga they say use 8shot. it blow a big ass hole in the first thing it hits and stops there. so if you shoot the bad guy and your kids are in the other room you wont blow the bad guy away and the kids too... i recommend buying the training DVDs

Top Bottom