• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    Victim: Hey could you wait a sec while I chamber a round?
    Perp: Bam bam, stab stab, club club (pick your means of serious injury or death.)

What's the use of carrying if you don't have a weapon that is ready to go?

And by the way, the XDM also has a trigger safety and is VERY safe.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    If you're uncomfortable carrying with a round chamered you probably shouldnt be carrying because....

A: you have an unsafe/unreliable firearm
    B: you don't have enough practice and/or confidence to effectively handle/draw/manipulate the weapon if you needed to under stress (and you've put yourself in a situation were you may have to do some extra manipulation VERY quickly)
    C: you are usuing an unsafe method of carry or crappy holster.
    D: any or all of the above

The good news is this can all be corrected ;)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Some guns don't even have a grip safty either. You saftey is between your ears.

To go along with this...

None of the guns that I carry have a safety at all. They are DAO triggers which means they are heavier and longer pull than some other handguns. This means it takes an intentional pull of the trigger to fire the weapon.

My wife's carry piece has a safety/decocker. After chambering a round on her gun, we use the decocker to drop the hammer (safely) which puts her gun in DAO mode. Intentional depress of the bang switch to make it fire. After hers fires the first time, hers is in Single action mode (much lighter trigger)... We carry our guns ready for the trigger pull. If hers was NOT DAO with the hammer down, I would have her carry with the safety ON (just to be safe)..

YMMV but carry around the house with one in the tube in the safest configuration for your weapon. Just warm up to it and you'll begin to feel more comfy. I totally understand being uneasy about it but practice and take a basic pistol course and your confidence level will rise :yesway: :ingo:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Always carry with one in the pipe. If you're paranoid about carrying chambered, then the only possible option I can see is to carry a revolver with one empty chamber in the cylinder, but would never carry a semi-auto with an empty chamber.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you're uncomfortable carrying with a round chamered you probably shouldnt be carrying because....

A: you have an unsafe/unreliable firearm
    B: you don't have enough practice and/or confidence to effectively handle/draw/manipulate the weapon if you needed to under stress (and you've put yourself in a situation were you may have to do some extra manipulation VERY quickly)
    C: you are usuing an unsafe method of carry or crappy holster.
    D: any or all of the above

The good news is this can all be corrected ;)

:+1:

Well said, the OP needs to get some training if he's scared of carrying a gun with a round in the chamber.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    The only times I DON'T have a round chambered is when I'm cleaning/inspecting or when I'm letting someone coon-finger the firearm. Other than that, my gun that I carry everyday always has a round in the chamber.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I love the paradox here. Seems opposite from the usual reasons to not carry a gun properly.

at least he's being humble and asking for insight instead of the usual BS that comes from a thread such as this. I'm all for pointing him in the right direction and pointing out ways to help him instead of chastize him for doing it wrong :D

OP... let us know what you decide.. I'd love to re-visit this in a week and see how it turns out. :yesway:

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    One in the chamber, with the safety off. That's the way I did it from day one with my Keltec p3at (though there was no safety on that gun), and that's the way I do it on my Taurus 24/7 Pro in .40.

Put the gun in the holster you'll be fine.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    One Firearms Training Group here in Illinois has long advocated in their Utah classes for people to carry with an empty chamber.

The same "firearm instructors" also suggest you rack the slide on your belt or pants, one-handed style, when you draw.

John

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    One Firearms Training Group here in Illinois has long advocated in their Utah classes for people to carry with an empty chamber.

The same "firearm instructors" also suggest you rack the slide on your belt or pants, one-handed style, when you draw.

John

In Illinois? :rolleyes:
    They want you to carry with an empty chamber AND empty mag there.

Why dont already have one round in the chamber if you understand that the slide must be racked before you can shoot?

Using your belt or even the back of your shoe to rack the slide is good to clear malfunctions if one of your hands is injured, not to load your gun after you draw.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Practice with your gun for confidence. Take a class. Try the previously mentioned rack the slide.
    Good holster, don't skimp.
    Good belt.
    Check all your equipment periodically, as if your life depends on it.
    Heard someone claim a ND wasn't their fault, worn holster.
    THEN REPLACE IT DUMB ASS!!
    Think you guys covered everything.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    Full mag and 1 in the chamber is the only way to carry a handgun.

"Excuse me sir please hold still while I lock and load so I can shoot you"

But as long as you have a good holster that handgun will not go off. Your finger is the only thing going to set it off when you pull that trigger.

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    Does everyone have 1 in the chamber when CC'ing? I'm torn between the paranoid side of me who doesn't like have one in the chamber, and the safety side of me that wants one in the chamber for when the time comes.
    I don't have the peaches to do it. :draw:

Murzor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2012
    I was a bit nervous in the beginning too, but I grew out of it quickly. Classes will help you a great deal.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    People who are new to owning a gun are always self conscious about their guns. I know I was for a week. While I waited for my LTCH to come in, I didn't chamber a round in my XDM while I kept it at home. After getting into a few classes and then carrying, I broke that fear because I am the safety, I control the gun, it doesn't control me. Though the habit I now have is I constantly chamber check my guns no matter what.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Your gun will not go off unless you pull the trigger. Try this; rack the slide on an empty chamber, and throw it down the stairs. It will still be cocked and locked when you pick it up. External safeties have no business on a defensive firearm.

Top Bottom