• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Your gun will not go off unless you pull the trigger. Try this; rack the slide on an empty chamber, and throw it down the stairs. It will still be cocked and locked when you pick it up. External safeties have no business on a defensive firearm.

For the first bolded part: I'm telling Kirk you said that!!!

For the secondand third: :scratch:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    At first I didn't keep one chambered, but then began training and the apprehension of having one chambered went away. Even carry the 1911 chambered, cocked and locked. Training and practicing consistantly is the best way to build comfidence with your sidearm, and as others have stated above don't scrimp on the holster.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Does everyone have 1 in the chamber when CC'ing? I'm torn between the paranoid side of me who doesn't like have one in the chamber, and the safety side of me that wants one in the chamber for when the time comes.

I've often thought about this. In my scenario I posted about the other day (look back at my posts), I brought up the scenario of me being ambushed. I would've been finished. It's no longer a debate for me. No one is going to let you call timeout so you can get ready.

Oh, and if you look back at my recent posts, don't forget to look at the "other" perspectives. :):

Compuvette

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Does everyone have 1 in the chamber when CC'ing? I'm torn between the paranoid side of me who doesn't like have one in the chamber, and the safety side of me that wants one in the chamber for when the time comes.

You will get comfortable with it in time. It's totally up to you, but I don't like to do to many extra things to get my weapon functional. I've practiced for many years to flick off the safety on a 1911 on the draw stroke. I'd hate to have to rack the slide as well.

tuttjs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    Ok, so I've decided to carry one in the chamber. It's not that I'm not confident around weapons, it's actually kind of the opposite. I've always grown up around them with my family, then with the military, so confidence isn't so much the problem. The problem is that i have to reverse the mindset that my family and military has taught me as to never carry a weapon around with one chambered, unless you are ready to fire. I guess that kind of defeats my argument since I should always be ready to fire when carrying, but you know what I mean.... I will start carrying with one in the chamber, and I'm sure I will get more used to it.

Oh, and for everyone who was asking/saying I need a good holster - I have the supertuck deluxe. :D

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    XDM 45. If it had a physical safety switch, I would be a lot less paranoid, but the safety is a depress switch on the grip - just me being paranoid about it

Most others disagree, but I say it depends on the gun.

In fact, when I bought my first gun 4 years ago the gun counter guy kept trying to sell me an XD but I insisted on something with an external safety.

Walked out with a Beretta 92. Love the gun and since bought a Walther PK380 as my carry gun.

Both pistols have external hammers and external safeties.

I would NOT carry +1 on an internal hammer and grip safety. I got too many kids around me, I'm too active, and I don't want to end up like the movie theater guy who dropped his gun and it shot him in the butt.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Most others disagree, but I say it depends on the gun.

In fact, when I bought my first gun 4 years ago the gun counter guy kept trying to sell me an XD but I insisted on something with an external safety.

Walked out with a Beretta 92. Love the gun and since bought a Walther PK380 as my carry gun.

Both pistols have external hammers and external safeties.

I would NOT carry +1 on an internal hammer and grip safety. I got too many kids around me, I'm too active, and I don't want to end up like the movie theater guy who dropped his gun and it shot him in the butt.

While I am still a nub myself, reading has taught me that there are plenty out there that carry one in the tube with the saftey on. With practice they can gain the muscle memory needed to draw click the saftey switch to go mode and fire just as fast as a gun without one.

That said there are about 57829574 cops out there who are around alot more dangerous people than your kids and doing many active things (jumping fences, wresting with people who do not want to be wrested etc) who would beg to differ regarding one in the tube and no external saftey.

Start watching what LEOs around you are carrying, many of them are Glocks which lack even the grip saftey and you can bet your life that chamber is not empty.

The guy in the theater either had a holster malfunction (should not have happened, either worn holster or crap holster) or a brain malfuntion.

If your worried about your gun leaveing your holster via gravity or children the problem should not be corrected by an empty chamber, instead a better holster or training.

Last edited:

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    If you're not carrying with one in the chamber due to some perceived safety concerns, i recommend you come out and take a class so you can build a level of comfort with your sidearm that you lack at this time. We run a hot range, so for the entire day, regardless of what we are doing, your gun will be loaded.

After that, I'm sure you will come to realize that you can carry safely and confidently with a chambered round.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It has two - they just aren't what you want. It has one in the grip and one in the trigger, both must be depress.

I would NOT carry +1 on an internal [STRIKE]hammer[/STRIKE] striker and grip safety. I got too many kids around me, I'm too active, and I don't want to end up like the movie theater guy who dropped his gun and it shot him in the butt.

If this is your argument, then one of the following must be flawed:
    1. You firearm handling skills
    2. Your firearm security/safe
    3. You (lack of) holster retention
    4. Your understanding of modern firearm mechanics

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, so I've decided to carry one in the chamber. It's not that I'm not confident around weapons, it's actually kind of the opposite. I've always grown up around them with my family, then with the military, so confidence isn't so much the problem. The problem is that i have to reverse the mindset that my family and military has taught me as to never carry a weapon around with one chambered, unless you are ready to fire. I guess that kind of defeats my argument since I should always be ready to fire when carrying, but you know what I mean.... I will start carrying with one in the chamber, and I'm sure I will get more used to it.

Oh, and for everyone who was asking/saying I need a good holster - I have the supertuck deluxe. :D

Being unloaded is OK when the possible threat is a mile away. For us "on the street" the threat will be 20 feet away or less - way too close to ever be able rack the slide AFTER drawing from a concealed carry. Training yourself to draw and shoot is enough, I don't want to worry about using a second hand to rack a slide or fiddle with a safety catch (I'm a lefty).

Now, FULLY UNLOAD, and practice drawing and holstering your firearm till you can do it without any possible risk of touching the trigger unless pointed, aim(ing) and committed to firing.:draw:

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    FNP-9, whether OC with Blackhawck Serpa, or CC with Crossbreed Supertuck:
    16 round mag full, +1 in chamber, hammer down.

This weapon has no safety whatsoever except the one between my ears. The great thing with this semi-auto, is once it's cocked, it is both single & double action, if the hammer is cocked but dropped, it is just a little bit farther pull back to fire.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom